Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone know of a Google earth or QGIS layer/overlay that can show popular wrecks?

I've got a little hobby project coming up where i want to overlay all the wrecks i know about in an area (Dorset in this case) onto an underlying basemap (DorIS). I have all the GPS locations written down for the wrecks i have dived but am looking for a shortcut. Is there a preexisting layer or .kml/.kmz that has these wrecks in it already?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I might have something somewhere. TBH, once I saw Wrecksite.EU, I could not be bothered to duplicate the effort.

When you say written down, do you mean on paper? If in a table/excel etc, it's a doddle to get into a GIS.
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They were embedded into my dive log (Subsurface) but i've stripped them out into Excel now. I'm managed to make a .kml based on the dive sites that i know about it's the other sites that i don't know about that of course i need to look at now. I'm thinking i might need to sign up to wrecksite again so that i can cross-reference an anomaly that's been found with known sites. I was just looking to go the easy route where someone had done the donkey work for me.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jb2cool View Post
    They were embedded into my dive log (Subsurface) but i've stripped them out into Excel now. I'm managed to make a .kml based on the dive sites that i know about it's the other sites that i don't know about that of course i need to look at now. I'm thinking i might need to sign up to wrecksite again so that i can cross-reference an anomaly that's been found with known sites. I was just looking to go the easy route where someone had done the donkey work for me.
    I can't find the data on my current PC, might be on an old disk...

Edit - I found something. I can't speak for completeness, accuracy, duplication etc, original sources are nearly 20 years old. Some of the data are mixed and I know that not all the coords are WGS84 based, but I've assumed so to get them into QGIS with one Spatial Reference ID.

PM incoming.
    Last edited by Adrian; 22-12-2021 at 06:22 PM.
    Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Established TDF Member Decosnapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This might help?

https://datahub.admiralty.co.uk/port...s?tags=Inspire

Working on something very similar, but more interested on what is not charted or known:

The hunt is on

The "searched that bit" overlay in Global Mapper will become very useful as time passes.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Adrian pointed me at this yesterday (via email)

I've been given access to the DorIS (https://www.dorsetwildlifetrust.org.uk/doris) seabed survey data and what I'm doing is overlaying the shipwrecks that I've dived (I created a .kml for this) as well as the UK EEZ WrecksObstructions feature layer provided by the admiralty that provides lots of other known wrecks.

What this will enable me to do is to improve the accuracy of my GPS coordinates for my dive logs as well as to identify new wrecks that I want to dive or perhaps even see anomalies on the seabed survey that might be a new unidentified wreck.

Established TDF Member Decosnapper's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't know if its the same data, but this is open source:

https://coastalmonitoring.org/data_m...?link=wms.html

I found it easier to go to the Hydro office website and download than use the site above. It has Weymouth Bay multi-beam for 2008.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks i'll take a look