Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How should I dress when trying a new BCD on?

I'm sure this must have been asked before, but nothing has turned up in the search I've performed. If there's some other thread related to this, just redirect me there!

I've decided to buy myself my first BCD before the end of this year. I'll do so by going to a shop, not online, to make sure I feel comfortable in it. But my question is, how should I be dressed so as to get a rough idea of how it'll fit when I have my wetsuit on? A T-shirt plus a sweatshirt? Just a T-shirt? And if it were a semi-drysuit, would it make any difference? I've found soneone selling an almost new Hollis Neotek at a very good price, and I might end up buying that, too (I haven't got any sort of suit yet).

Thanks!
    Last edited by NW6 1TH; 26-09-2021 at 12:00 PM.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If I was going to a shop to try on a BCD, I'd take my drysuit and undersuit to see if it fits all together.

So I'd suggest taking your wetsuit and chaging into it in the shop to try on BCDs.

Of course, in true TDF fashion. What you really want is a backplate and wing, which can then be adjusted for anyone from XS to XXXXL.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    If I was going to a shop to try on a BCD, I'd take my drysuit and undersuit to see if it fits all together.

So I'd suggest taking your wetsuit and chaging into it in the shop to try on BCDs.

Of course, in true TDF fashion. What you really want is a backplate and wing, which can then be adjusted for anyone from XS to XXXXL.

I haven't got any suit of my own yet, and I was planning on buying the BCD before the (semi-dry)suit, because I'm finding it more difficult to adjust to different hired BCDs than to different suits, and I'd rather have my own as soon as possible. Should I change my mind?

I can't picture myself buying a wing, though. I've understood it's more stable, but being a beginner, I'd rather learn with a jacket and move on to the wing after I've managed to control the basics than the other way round. I'll think it over, anyway.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In that case, if you're expecting to be wearing a 7mm? wetsuit, then definitely try it on with a sweatshirt to simulate that thickness, and make sure it has sufficient adjustment to go a bit bigger or a bit smaller (ie don't choose one that's only just big enough, as it might need to go bigger ofer the suit)
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks a lot! That's exactly what I'll do!

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I doubt it really matters, they are adjustable in the shoulders. The Velcro waist thing is also adjustable and only needs to be about 6x the suit thickness longer that when you wear a t-shirt (C=pi * D). Thats a couple of inches at most.

What’s most important is how it feels in the water, which will be mediocre at best - buy decent recognised brand BCD you can sell on and buy a Halcyon Eclipse 30 wing later.