Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bauer PE100 advice

…a recent thread showed that a few folks have the Bauer PE100 compressor and I met someone at Loch Carron with one and he loved his.
    I would be looking at petrol driven one but any “pearls of wisdom” before making a purchase?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have one but if I was in the market I'd buy a bauer junior instead, same compressor block but it has a better filter system.

petrol is fine for out and about but a PITA at home even if you mount the compressor on a trolley to wheel outside. An electric motor is far easier to live with, less noise if you have neighbours and makes installing an hour meter easy to monitor filter use.

if you get one rig up a bottle with some hose from the water separator and filter vent valves so you don't blow oily water everywhere when draining condensate.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    I have one but if I was in the market I'd buy a bauer junior instead, same compressor block but it has a better filter system.

petrol is fine for out and about but a PITA at home even if you mount the compressor on a trolley to wheel outside. An electric motor is far easier to live with, less noise if you have neighbours and makes installing an hour meter easy to monitor filter use.

if you get one rig up a bottle with some hose from the water separator and filter vent valves so you don't blow oily water everywhere when draining condensate.
    Is it that much worse, I thought it was almost the P21 just upside down?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mike the Junior II is way more expensive than the Poseidon version, a cheaper option is to turn the small on frame filter tower into a separator using glass marbles and add an aftermarket Bauer spigot industrial filter like the the P40 or even the big industrial 800mm P60 these are around £480 + VAT and can be wall mounted. Add a Bauer spigot stainless repack cartridge cost around £100 and you have a years worth of filtration with a chemical repack cost of £15

In addition to the hour meter either on the petrol engine frame (vibration type) or electric (wired type) again fit yourself aftermarket would be a visual indicator of relative humidity £60 if you include the swagelok fittings in and out and change the filter when it needs not at some magical hours run

As for the oily condensate I cant help much, plenty of paper towels and a can of white paint with a brush for the walls and cheap carpet tiles.

Or buy an oil free oil-less Rix SA-6 and have only pure distilled water to drain off as condensate you could drink it or use the condensate discharge to water the plants. Failing that you could always use it to be as close as it gets to being like a member of an American SEAL team I guess.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    [QUOTE=iain/hsm;

Or buy an oil free oil-less Rix SA-6 and have only pure distilled water to drain off as condensate you could drink it or use the condensate discharge to water the plants. Failing that you could always use it to be as close as it gets to being like a member of an American SEAL team I guess.[/QUOTE]

The SA-3 was top of my list…..but if this is a bust….

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMacallan View Post
    The SA-3 was top of my list…..but if this is a bust….
    Heck this is a subject that's really a hard sell and difficult to admit. If the SA-6 wasnt bad enough with its SEAL team and US Navy gungho background for a user list reference.
    Then hacking off half of Scotland with the USN Nuclear submarine fleet parking up in the "Holy" Loch of all places and a torpedo range offering finders fees to divers who stumble across those "lost souls" with pointy ends and a prop. Also being remembered for dumping a stack of SA-6's into skips when they left (Ask Tom Youngs son Ronnie at Aquatron Glasgow) And the 10 foot stack of new Zodiac Military inflatables with "Stanley Knife" damage down all tubes.

Now we compare that to the little SA-3 who a first glance you would think is an ideal little scuba divers compressor Eco friendly no nasty oil, pure clean air, meets the old BS air purity standard without even using an chemical filter just like its rufty tufty bigger brother. Ideal for the young sports divers dream of running a PADI school in Fiji with Scubapro gear.

At first glance it meets every scuba marketing managers dream compressor for an eco friendly fun on the beach photo op with the young and pretty, next the beach the palms and the yacht.

But no with A.W.E. (Atomic Weapons Establishment) as its flagship customer. It has as much chance making it into a fancy scuba diving gear catalogue as a floating dog turd.

What was it Oppenheimer said after dependable Nuclear Energy became a bomb.... " Now I am become death the destroyer of worlds"
    On a brighter note NPL National Physics Laboratory use them for atmosphic clean air calibration. Then Rolls Royce use them for some other nasty Mil Spec nonsense.

Its a lost cause the SA-3 it has a background thats almost impossible to gloss over and a sales potential akin to Kalashnikov moving into making childrens toys.
    The Mumsnet scuba gurus of the would would not allow it and I would be public enemy number one.

I'm just as happy you buying a Bauer, At least its not a Colri, or Alkin or those Nardi junkers and I'm happy for Alex to retain his Scuba Divers enemy number one title.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Heck this is a subject that's really a hard sell and difficult to admit. If the SA-6 wasnt bad enough with its SEAL team and US Navy gungho background for a user list reference.
    Then hacking off half of Scotland with the USN Nuclear submarine fleet parking up in the "Holy" Loch of all places and a torpedo range offering finders fees to divers who stumble across those "lost souls" with pointy ends and a prop. Also being remembered for dumping a stack of SA-6's into skips when they left (Ask Tom Youngs son Ronnie at Aquatron Glasgow) And the 10 foot stack of new Zodiac Military inflatables with "Stanley Knife" damage down all tubes.

Now we compare that to the little SA-3 who a first glance you would think is an ideal little scuba divers compressor Eco friendly no nasty oil, pure clean air, meets the old BS air purity standard without even using an chemical filter just like its rufty tufty bigger brother. Ideal for the young sports divers dream of running a PADI school in Fiji with Scubapro gear.

At first glance it meets every scuba marketing managers dream compressor for an eco friendly fun on the beach photo op with the young and pretty, next the beach the palms and the yacht.

But no with A.W.E. (Atomic Weapons Establishment) as its flagship customer. It has as much chance making it into a fancy scuba diving gear catalogue as a floating dog turd.

What was it Oppenheimer said after dependable Nuclear Energy became a bomb.... " Now I am become death the destroyer of worlds"
    On a brighter note NPL National Physics Laboratory use them for atmosphic clean air calibration. Then Rolls Royce use them for some other nasty Mil Spec nonsense.

Its a lost cause the SA-3 it has a background thats almost impossible to gloss over and a sales potential akin to Kalashnikov moving into making childrens toys.
    The Mumsnet scuba gurus of the would would not allow it and I would be public enemy number one.

I'm just as happy you buying a Bauer, At least its not a Colri, or Alkin or those Nardi junkers and I'm happy for Alex to retain his Scuba Divers enemy number one title.
    I`ve got stuff in AWE Aldermaston, fancy stuff in "hot" environments, that will never see the light of day again. Ever.

Never considered them to be a flagship, just a.n.other customer, bit like the kettle makers in Derby.

Take the tie off your head, and stop nursing a semi for all the "military" talk. You sound like Bren.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Mike the Junior II is way more expensive than the Poseidon version, a cheaper option is to turn the small on frame filter tower into a separator using glass marbles and add an aftermarket Bauer spigot industrial filter like the the P40 or even the big industrial 800mm P60 these are around £480 + VAT and can be wall mounted. Add a Bauer spigot stainless repack cartridge cost around £100 and you have a years worth of filtration with a chemical repack cost of £15

In addition to the hour meter either on the petrol engine frame (vibration type) or electric (wired type) again fit yourself aftermarket would be a visual indicator of relative humidity £60 if you include the swagelok fittings in and out and change the filter when it needs not at some magical hours run

As for the oily condensate I cant help much, plenty of paper towels and a can of white paint with a brush for the walls and cheap carpet tiles.

Or buy an oil free oil-less Rix SA-6 and have only pure distilled water to drain off as condensate you could drink it or use the condensate discharge to water the plants. Failing that you could always use it to be as close as it gets to being like a member of an American SEAL team I guess.
    I have a visual indicator. I seem to recall it cost more than £60 without the swagelok fittings but that’s what you get as an end user. I’m still struggling to find somewhere in the UK that I can phone up and actually order 20/40/60 indicator cards.. Can you point me to a supplier so I can phone up / email and order some cards?

Though LF put humidity indicators on their cartridges these days. Do not these not fulfil a similar function in a more hidden position?

Last I looked a P60 filter was a lot more than £480+vat so that sounds OK. Again can you please point me to the supplier so I can order one?

Would running a Bauer cartridge in the P11 housing rather than marbles and then a secondary filter with a cartridge not provide better filtration than marbles in the P11? Assuming the usual caveats about check valves / isolation valves / PMV / bleed valve / suitable gas service gauge / etc?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a visual indicator. I seem to recall it cost more than £60 without the swagelok fittings but that’s what you get as an end user. I’m still struggling to find somewhere in the UK that I can phone up and actually order 20/40/60 indicator cards.. Can you point me to a supplier so I can phone up / email and order some cards?

Though LF put humidity indicators on their cartridges these days. Do not these not fulfil a similar function in a more hidden position?

Last I looked a P60 filter was a lot more than £480+vat so that sounds OK. Again can you please point me to the supplier so I can order one?

Would running a Bauer cartridge in the P11 housing rather than marbles and then a secondary filter with a cartridge not provide better filtration than marbles in the P11? Assuming the usual caveats about check valves / isolation valves / PMV / bleed valve / suitable gas service gauge / etc?
    lets see that get a sensible answer without reference to maybe when I was a lad, SEALS, MIL spec, NATO number, rinkie dink, slat wall.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    lets see that get a sensible answer without reference to maybe when I was a lad, SEALS, MIL spec, NATO number, rinkie dink, slat wall.
    What and be like you LOL

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast