Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Grumpy Git, Not Old Yet...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Blacktip Tech DPV

OK, so, bonus for this year has been announced, and it would nicely accommodate a pair of Blacktip Tech scooters with 12Ah batteries each...

I know that Paulo and Wibs had the older versions (now rebranded as Blacktip Travel), but does anyone have any more recent experience?

Use case is generally dicking about in the sea, on wrecks, anything from 20-50m.

Yes, I've checked the old threads. Some nuggets in there, but mostly noise.

Oh, and yes, hi, it's me again. Just popping in to say hello and ask about new toys.
    Strategy without Tactics is the slowest route to Victory. Tactics without Strategy is the sound before defeat.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Mine is the Blacktip Tech. Trim is awful but I have not done anything to address it so it is my fault really. The 12ah batteries are hard to get now from what I have seen. I have dewalt 9ah and some spurious 9ah ones that are fine but a lot lighter. I had it out last week in the sea and with the off brand batteries I clipped a 1kg lead on to see how floaty it was and it was still floaty.

I will tell you the same as I told Wibs though, I do not use mine enough to make a recommendation either way though. I have it almost 2 years and think it has done maybe 5 dives
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Like any scooter getting it trimmed is a game of putting the right mass in the right place inside the tube.

However, the Blacktip Tech comes pre-weighted for saltwater (with a removable salt-water plate for puddles) and trims nicely with 12Ah (or 9Ah packs). DeWalt packs seem to work best. I use 12Ah DeWalt packs in mine and it is neutral and horizontal when I let it go.

If you add stuff there's lead shot in the nose you can remove, and space for more if the batteries are light. Trims weights come in the box, although I didn't need them.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Like any scooter getting it trimmed is a game of putting the right mass in the right place inside the tube.

However, the Blacktip Tech comes pre-weighted for saltwater (with a removable salt-water plate for puddles) and trims nicely with 12Ah (or 9Ah packs). DeWalt packs seem to work best. I use 12Ah DeWalt packs in mine and it is neutral and horizontal when I let it go.

If you add stuff there's lead shot in the nose you can remove, and space for more if the batteries are light. Trims weights come in the box, although I didn't need them.
    I didnt get trim weights and mine is very light even with the heavier batteries. I have been intending to get it in trim for a long time but as Insay, it doesnt get much use. It is very nose light / tail heavy
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mine's the Tech tube and have 9AH deWalt batteries (half the price of the 12s).

Great machine to dive with once you've learned not to catch the handle on the dive lift when jumping off. Excellent support from Deep Ideas to get a replacement.

Batteries have never been anywhere near depleted. Going fast is just hard work.

It's very manoeuvrable, behaves itself when clipped off to the chest D-ring when going inside somewhere tight. Stable when stopped. Easy to use. Mine seems reasonably trimmed out of the box.

Very happy with it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Don't open the end cap if it's been diving recently unless the scooter's on its side. Water in/around the O-rings will dribble down if it's upright.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    Don't open the end cap if it's been diving recently unless the scooter's on its side. Water in/around the O-rings will dribble down if it's upright.
    Good tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wibs View Post
    i made a circular 'plug' that rest just inside the top of the tube below the end cap out of an old flimsy plastic chopping board (thin but retains its shape) with a glued big old o ring around the edge. This catches any dribbles quite well (when I remember to put it in!)

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Any owner thought to contact the manufacturer to highlight the nose cap drip issue?

Maybe they could factory fit a drip catcher rather than having owners fettling one.

You never know, there might be a freebie in it.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The scooter sits upright really well, so it's very easy to forget and just undo the strap and flick the cap off.

At first I thought there was a leak, which was a bit worrying, but realised it was coming from between the substantial O-rings. It's only a teaspoon-ish so not the end of the world.

Since realising that, no "leaks" at all. Do ensure the seat and O-rings are clean when putting it back together. Occasionally smear some silicone grease around the seat.

Hasn't been any leaks yet.

Other thing is there's a small current drain if the batteries are in. I tend to drive to the site and put the batteries in in the car and then hump it to the boat. Never been an issue as I've never even used one "bar" of the battery. To be fair it's mainly moving around wrecks and with the crap vis this time of year, that is slowly moving around wrecks in third, second or even first gear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast