Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    TDF Member Draco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    52
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    7

    Question Ssi decompression diving ?

    Hello, as per title is anybody who completed course or know somebody who did ?

    I'm interested in this course and what ask about experience in using the skills

    how long take course, how much, skills etc ...

    thank you for answers in advance 👌😁

  2. #2
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    3,292
    Likes (Given)
    1093
    Likes (Received)
    1408
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Hello, as per title is anybody who completed course or know somebody who did ?

    I'm interested in this course and what ask about experience in using the skills

    how long take course, how much, skills etc ...

    thank you for answers in advance 
    Hi Draco, that's a lot of questions! Cost etc. will depend on where you do the course but to get you started, it's a minimum of 3 open water dives (1 no-stop, 2 deco) and a pool session, an academic/equipment config session plus the usual self-study course manuals and an exam. I can give you a skills break-down if you really want (but see below). If you want to know how we do it, the link is here: https://www.divemasterscuba.com/prod...ression-diving. Other SSI centres are available. I'd suggest you give your local SSI centre a call and talk to them directly and make sure this is the course you actually want to do especially if you have specific requirements on skills you want to learn for example - it has various limitations and is targeted at a specific audience.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

  3. #3
    Established TDF Member Paulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    13,950
    Likes (Given)
    5638
    Likes (Received)
    5181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Hi Draco, that's a lot of questions! Cost etc. will depend on where you do the course but to get you started, it's a minimum of 3 open water dives (1 no-stop, 2 deco) and a pool session, an academic/equipment config session plus the usual self-study course manuals and an exam. I can give you a skills break-down if you really want (but see below). If you want to know how we do it, the link is here: https://www.divemasterscuba.com/prod...ression-diving. Other SSI centres are available. I'd suggest you give your local SSI centre a call and talk to them directly and make sure this is the course you actually want to do especially if you have specific requirements on skills you want to learn for example - it has various limitations and is targeted at a specific audience.
    Your link says a 10 year old can dive to 40m with 15 mins of deco!? Surely thats a bit young for that sort of diving?
    JJ wanker

  4. #4
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    3,292
    Likes (Given)
    1093
    Likes (Received)
    1408
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Your link says a 10 year old can dive to 40m with 15 mins of deco!? Surely thats a bit young for that sort of diving?
    Sharp eyes that man! I missed that one - it's min age 16.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

  5. #5
    Established TDF Member Paulo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    13,950
    Likes (Given)
    5638
    Likes (Received)
    5181
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Sharp eyes that man! I missed that one - it's min age 16.
    Didn't take you long to fix it

    Even 16 is a bit young for that type of a dive in my opinion. I would be hesitant to bring someone that young on that type of dive but it is probably aimed at tropical waters
    JJ wanker

  6. #6
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    3,292
    Likes (Given)
    1093
    Likes (Received)
    1408
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Didn't take you long to fix it

    Even 16 is a bit young for that type of a dive in my opinion. I would be hesitant to bring someone that young on that type of dive but it is probably aimed at tropical waters
    Would have been better to spot it before I'd published it though!

    It's suitable for all waters (warm and cold) but it is more aimed at those who don't want to "go tec" but keep getting stopped by no-stop limits rather than gas consumption. I doubt many people of that age would be in that position but the course is framed so that they could learn the necessary if they did. I'm expecting that it will be relevant to some divers but not a massive group, but we'll see! I think most people who want to deco dive will be looking to go down the tec route.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

  7. #7
    Gone diving back later Vanny's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Essssssex
    Posts
    1,253
    Likes (Given)
    514
    Likes (Received)
    370
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Didn't take you long to fix it

    Even 16 is a bit young for that type of a dive in my opinion. I would be hesitant to bring someone that young on that type of dive but it is probably aimed at tropical waters
    How about 17 year old ?

    Oh and the OP needs a rebreather , as does my 17 year old but he needs to get a proper job first.

  8. #8
    TDF Member Draco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    52
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Hi Draco, that's a lot of questions! Cost etc. will depend on where you do the course but to get you started, it's a minimum of 3 open water dives (1 no-stop, 2 deco) and a pool session, an academic/equipment config session plus the usual self-study course manuals and an exam. I can give you a skills break-down if you really want (but see below). If you want to know how we do it, the link is here: https://www.divemasterscuba.com/prod...ression-diving. Other SSI centres are available. I'd suggest you give your local SSI centre a call and talk to them directly and make sure this is the course you actually want to do especially if you have specific requirements on skills you want to learn for example - it has various limitations and is targeted at a specific audience.
    Thank you jturner for reply and information, I agree about skills focus, that's way I asked the question in the first place ...
    I'm thinking about tec45 or this course but I haven't decided yet due to financial involvement

  9. #9
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    East Midlands
    Posts
    3,292
    Likes (Given)
    1093
    Likes (Received)
    1408
    Blog Entries
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Thank you jturner for reply and information, I agree about skills focus, that's way I asked the question in the first place ...
    I'm thinking about tec45 or this course but I haven't decided yet due to financial involvement
    Yes, there's always that issue!!! FWIW, I'd have an honest look at what you'll be doing diving-wise and take it from there. I know a few people who have done course after course and trained up way beyond the level their diving life actually needs. Me for example. I've not been able to get out on my CCR for well over a year yet I'm qualified to 60m trimix and deco on it. Was it worth doing that course? Based on the diving I'm actually doing and going to be doing for the foreseable future, as opposed to the diving my heart told me I might be doing, no. I'd have to be certifiable for trying a 60m dive nowadays with such rusty skills and I can't see me getting much chance to build back up to that level any time soon. I probably made the jump to Mod 2 too soon (though to be fair to me, I didn't expect a global pandemic and change of job either!). All of that said, the more in-depth knowledge isn't a bad thing to have learned, so it wasn't entirely wasted.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

  10. #10
    TDF Member Draco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    London
    Posts
    52
    Likes (Given)
    15
    Likes (Received)
    7
    I understand you well,
    I have many friends they started diving with me or after me and now they far ahead me with certification but are they with skills ? I'm not so sure ... some of them for sure if you diving every second day but most people just "jumping" from one course to another ( I 100% agree with you),
    Thank you for your advice, I'm thinking about this as well and my thoughts are between TEC 45-50 and this SSI decompression diving ... also which will be more available during holidays and other locations (not per se Technical dive sites but generally diving centres), maybe I'm totally wrong with my thinking and that's why I'm asking this questions here ... of course I can do both courses but again is not about "card collection"
    thank you for your help guys


 

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •