Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Ssi decompression diving ?

Hello, as per title is anybody who completed course or know somebody who did ?

I'm interested in this course and what ask about experience in using the skills

how long take course, how much, skills etc ...

thank you for answers in advance 👌😁

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Draco View Post
    Hello, as per title is anybody who completed course or know somebody who did ?

I'm interested in this course and what ask about experience in using the skills

how long take course, how much, skills etc ...

thank you for answers in advance 
    Hi Draco, that's a lot of questions! Cost etc. will depend on where you do the course but to get you started, it's a minimum of 3 open water dives (1 no-stop, 2 deco) and a pool session, an academic/equipment config session plus the usual self-study course manuals and an exam. I can give you a skills break-down if you really want (but see below). If you want to know how we do it, the link is here: https://www.divemasterscuba.com/prod...ression-diving. Other SSI centres are available. I'd suggest you give your local SSI centre a call and talk to them directly and make sure this is the course you actually want to do especially if you have specific requirements on skills you want to learn for example - it has various limitations and is targeted at a specific audience.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Hi Draco, that's a lot of questions! Cost etc. will depend on where you do the course but to get you started, it's a minimum of 3 open water dives (1 no-stop, 2 deco) and a pool session, an academic/equipment config session plus the usual self-study course manuals and an exam. I can give you a skills break-down if you really want (but see below). If you want to know how we do it, the link is here: https://www.divemasterscuba.com/prod...ression-diving. Other SSI centres are available. I'd suggest you give your local SSI centre a call and talk to them directly and make sure this is the course you actually want to do especially if you have specific requirements on skills you want to learn for example - it has various limitations and is targeted at a specific audience.
    Your link says a 10 year old can dive to 40m with 15 mins of deco!? Surely thats a bit young for that sort of diving?
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Your link says a 10 year old can dive to 40m with 15 mins of deco!? Surely thats a bit young for that sort of diving?
    Sharp eyes that man! I missed that one - it's min age 16.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    Sharp eyes that man! I missed that one - it's min age 16.
    Didn't take you long to fix it

Even 16 is a bit young for that type of a dive in my opinion. I would be hesitant to bring someone that young on that type of dive but it is probably aimed at tropical waters
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Even 16 is a bit young for that type of a dive in my opinion. I would be hesitant to bring someone that young on that type of dive but it is probably aimed at tropical waters
    Would have been better to spot it before I'd published it though!

It's suitable for all waters (warm and cold) but it is more aimed at those who don't want to "go tec" but keep getting stopped by no-stop limits rather than gas consumption. I doubt many people of that age would be in that position but the course is framed so that they could learn the necessary if they did. I'm expecting that it will be relevant to some divers but not a massive group, but we'll see! I think most people who want to deco dive will be looking to go down the tec route.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How about 17 year old ?

Oh and the OP needs a rebreather , as does my 17 year old but he needs to get a proper job first.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    How about 17 year old ?
    Why is age 16 a big deal? BSAC Sports Diver has a minimum age of 12, which rises to 14 for diving beyond 20m.

As I recall Sport Diver permits decompression diving to 35m depth within the limits of BSAC 88 tables. According to my BSAC 88s that gives up to 21 minutes mandatory decompression.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    Oh and the OP needs a rebreather , as does my 17 year old but he needs to get a proper job first.
    Proper Job is an excellent beer (I order cans direct from the brewery as they vanish into the recycling best) but getting a CCR is better delayed

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Why is age 16 a big deal? BSAC Sports Diver has a minimum age of 12, which rises to 14 for diving beyond 20m.

As I recall Sport Diver permits decompression diving to 35m depth within the limits of BSAC 88 tables. According to my BSAC 88s that gives up to 21 minutes mandatory decompression.
    c.f. "all dives are decompression dives"

Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post

Proper Job is an excellent beer (I order cans direct from the brewery as they vanish into the recycling best) but getting a CCR is better delayed
    A favourite of mine too - little known fact: PJ and the other St. Austell brew, Tribute, are basically the same beer, with PJ being drawn-off and hopped again before finishing.
    Last edited by BenL; 13-09-2021 at 12:17 AM.
    I don't want to get technical or anything, but alcohol IS a solution