Banner Ad

Getting kit repaired post brexit duty payable?!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MinimalMayhem
    TDF Member
    • Aug 2015

Getting kit repaired post brexit duty payable?!

I have a canister lid that needs some attention due to my lack of care with latch lids. Want to send it to Germany for repair but using the UPS site to set up the postage it appears that the receiver will need to pay something like 40-50 euros of duty just for me to send it to them?! Presumably there will be duty to be paid by me when I get it back too? (Possibly duty on the cost of the repair only)

Am I misunderstanding this? I’d like to think that the duty can be reclaimed (at both ends) since it is a repair not a sale as such…has anyone done this and actually had to pay it/had it refunded? This is all as a private individual, not a business.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Paulo
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

Can you not just declare it as a warranty repair? I have sent stuff to UK recently for warranty repair and paid no tax
    If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• MinimalMayhem
      TDF Member
      • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Paulo
      Can you not just declare it as a warranty repair?
      Yes that’s what I tried to do as the ‘reason for return’ still got the estimated tax thing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• graham_hk
        Established TDF Member
        • Jan 2013

What canister lid is it? I am sure its likely fixable in UK

Comment

• Doomanic
          Established TDF Member
          • Dec 2012

Find out what you can do with your goods when they are being processed or repaired using outward processing.

Guidance Outward Processing Relief Find out how EU traders can claim relief from duty on goods temporarily exported for processing or repair in a non-EU country. Published 6 August 2012 Last updated 2 October 2017 — see all updates From: ...
          Originally posted by Chrisch
          Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Comment

• MinimalMayhem
            TDF Member
            • Aug 2015

For anyone going through this experience, it all got sorted. In the end, used UPS, which helped create all the necessary paperwork. Duty was no drama in the end, I have no idea why. I sent the lid as a 'return' and wasn't asked for any duty. When it came back, no duty was charged then either.

Comment

Working...