• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stuart Keasley
    bottlefish
    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by graham_hk
    Reality: yes you have to join BSAC ...
    Just this and the dry suit cert requirement would mean a significant amount of people (me for instance ) would be excluded... which also means their buddies etc would also be excluded...

If people see rules that put a question mark over gaining access, they're just going to go to one of the other dive sites instead.
    Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
      bottlefish
      • Dec 2012

Originally posted by notdeadyet
      Me too. Join BSAC and no solo diving. For a handful of dives a year forget it.
      Don't forget doing your PADI Speciality Course
      Please visit bottlefish for my personal web site, Quay Cameras to chat to me about the cameras and kit that I sell

Comment

• notdeadyet
        Nicotine, valium, vicodin...
        • Jan 2013

Originally posted by JonG
        Myth # 6: The insurance is not worth the paper it’s written on.

Reality: BSAC members insurance is very comprehensive and covers many things including: being sued by a deceased buddy’s family and cover for club officers doing their duties.
        Don't know if this came from my comment or not. I don't care how good BSAC's insurance is, I'm not joining an organisation that hung out to dry one of its members at the worst possible time. It's not just how valid the documentation is, I simply do not trust the culture of the organisation especially as some of those involved are still there. I have zero faith in the organisation to support me should I need it. I'd happily provide my own liability insurance but not giving money to BSAC for it.
        Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• Stuart Keasley
          bottlefish
          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by shapeshifter
          I was involved in a discussion with a group of professional instructors last week who found it totally understandable and normal that non-french instructors be forced to undergo costly (thousands of euros) and time consuming (just under a year) retraining and evaluation before being allowed to teach in France. The case in question was Jarrod Jablonski teaching GUE-F.

A crazy world indeed, but rules are rules I guess.
          But in this instance, the organisation imposing the rules have said that the facility may have to close due to lack of numbers... quite possibly caused by those rules...

Comment

• notdeadyet
            • Jan 2013

Originally posted by Stuart Keasley
            Just this and the dry suit cert requirement would mean a significant amount of people (me for instance ) would be excluded... which also means their buddies etc would also be excluded...

If people see rules that put a question mark over gaining access, they're just going to go to one of the other dive sites instead.
            Yeah, especially if the rules mean you need to do something that you didn't need to before, whether that's additional training, equipment, procedures or joining a club. The vast majority of people who dived there were single cylinder divers and that's a hell of a leap for them to achieve all the requirements.

Originally posted by Stuart Keasley
            But in this instance, the organisation imposing the rules have said that the facility may have to close due to lack of numbers... quite possibly caused by those rules...
            That's the big thing for me. I went to Dorry because it was a great practice site with no one to bother me. I live about 15 minutes from Eccleston Delph but I drove 2 hours to Dorry. If I want a sheltered site I can be in the Lakes in less time or an extra hour takes me to Scotland. It's a no brainer, Dorry isn't worthwhile. It's additional cost, additional hoops. I know plenty of people that were driving from Northumberland, Yorkshire and the Midlands to dive Dorry regularly and I know they no longer go as well. Even a few people local to it have stopped going.

I don't really see how it can be sustainable unless something changes and as the reason the rules are there is down to the licence agreement with the owners I don't see how it can change. Hopefully the numbers will pick up over the winter for them. I'd rather see it open than closed.
            Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Comment

• Paulo
              Established TDF Member
              • Dec 2012

There is only 1 official inland site in Ireland.

They charge €15 to be a member of the club for a year. Thus gives them a fund with which to cover their rising insurance costs.

It is renewable annually if you want to use it that year regardless if you do 1 or 100 days diving there.

Might a model like this be an option?
              If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• JonG
                Established TDF Member
                • Apr 2017

Paulo do u know who they insure through or could you link me to them pls.

The BSAC requirement at Dorothea was the only way to secure cover when NWTD set up access.

Comment

• Paulo
                  Established TDF Member
                  • Dec 2012

I have not got a clue who they use. But if you sent Piotr at Portroe a message through their FB page he should be able to help
                  If my post doesnt have a typo, then I have probably been hacked!

Comment

• Energy58
                    Established TDF Member
                    • Jun 2014

Originally posted by shapeshifter
                    Is drysuit certification really a thing? I'm pretty sure that I don't know anybody who could provide any sort of proof of formal training.
                    I did the PADI course in a few hours just so I could provide a plastic card and prove I had the training to dive in Iceland - however COVID put paid to that one...

I pretty sure the BSAC courses now have box tick for "in a drysuit" but not sure that appears on any plastic cards (I did all my BSAC training before that came in so I cant check mine)

Comment

• gobfish1
                      Last of the Mohicans
                      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by notdeadyet
                      Me too. Join BSAC and no solo diving. For a handful of dives a year forget it.
                      Solo is just ticking a jobworth tick box. no one is policing what two dives do under water .
                      Dry suit lol just more bollox
                      Should read no wet suit diving
                      As for bsac they have been saying for year and years stay away. But now it's ok if you have some micky mouse badge .
                      Opening times are for tourists
                      I used to be having my first dive by 8 am.

If I could buy a key come go as I pleased that would be a insensitive no box ticking clip board types to deal with lol
                      Taken maybe 50 new divers to dotty for their first open water dives and a shit load more building up skills allread learnt without ever a problem . It's a new world and I'm happy not to be part of it .
                      I'm not one to validate other people s bull shit. Hence the quote . I'm out
                      Last edited by gobfish1; 05-09-2021, 04:13 PM.
                      None diver as of 2018.

Comment

• Adrian
                        Remember, remember
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Edward3c
                        Every BSAC diver who did their training in a drysuit will have the drysuit qualification recorded on their “MyBSAC” login. Providing the instructor confirmed a drysuit was used. Or the BSAC Drysuit course was done.
                        Hi Edward,

Where and how is this recordable for those of us who did drysuit training as part of normal dive training decades prior to more recent BSAC electronic records?

Adrian
                        Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Comment

• Edward3c
                          Established TDF Member
                          • Feb 2013

Originally posted by Adrian
                          Hi Edward,

Where and how is this recordable for those of us who did drysuit training as part of normal dive training decades prior to more recent BSAC electronic records?

Adrian
                          Get your DO or an instructor to confirm you dive drysuit, send to HQ to update your MyBSAC account. That’s what I did.

I just checked mine under SDCs, also under SDC Instructor Qualifications.

Comment

• Adrian
                            Remember, remember
                            • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Edward3c
                            Get your DO or an instructor to confirm you dive drysuit, send to HQ to update your MyBSAC account. That’s what I did.

I just checked mine under SDCs, also under SDC Instructor Qualifications.
                            Cheers Edward.
                            Bought a house in Devon, drank cider from a lemon.

Comment

• notdeadyet
                              • Jan 2013

Originally posted by gobfish1
                              Solo is just ticking a jobworth tick box. no one is policing what two dives do under water .
                              Dry suit lol just more bollox
                              Should read no wet suit diving
                              As for bsac they have been saying for year and years stay away. But now it's ok if you have some micky mouse badge .
                              Opening times are for tourists
                              I used to be having my first dive by 8 am.

If I could buy a key come go as I pleased that would be a insensitive no box ticking clip board types to deal with lol
                              Taken maybe 50 new divers to dotty for their first open water dives and a shit load more building up skills allread learnt without ever a problem . It's a new world and I'm happy not to be part of it .
                              I'm not one to validate other people s bull shit. Hence the quote . I'm out
                              Aye. Me too. The cynic in me thinks it sounds like we wanted to keep it tech only now we're having to dig our way out a hole because no one is coming. Tech divers went there because they'd get booted out of Stoney or anywhere else like that Most divers were rec or people just getting into twinset though. Back in the 90's when it was rammed every weekend single and pony was the majority of divers. I've taken a load of people there for their first UK dive too.

Yeah, a new era for Dotty and I'm likewise not bothered about being part of it. We got to dive there in Dorry's best days but times have changed. People can't boil water on a camping stove without a ticket and a risk assessment now.

Comment

• gobfish1
                                Last of the Mohicans
                                • Jan 2013

Stu .
                                We could probably get round the no solo divers just have to take are latest bowling ball s. And show their deep throat badges
                                None diver as of 2018.

Comment

Working...