Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    Pretty much my reading of it as well. Though emphasis seemed also to be placed on briefings. To put it in the work world I suspect we will see tool box talks with signed attendance sheets to demonstrate everyone has been briefed on the risk assessment and activity and agree that no additional mitigation’s are required.

I wonder what the widow will see out of that settlement. I can’t help but wonder if it was a no win no fee case and if it was it will only encourage more ambulance chasers
    Apparently the widow tried to sue but was "out of time" to do so. She went through the court system to be able to sue on the son's behalf. In theory she gets nothing it was mentioned up-thread that the settlement will be held until he is 18 apparently.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Keasley View Post
    At a guess, said from the lofty position of someone who's never had to face that type of grief.
    She did have like 9 years before the case. That's quite a long time to form a reasoned view on something and not be blinded by hysteria from a recent event.
    My opinion she knew exactly what she was doing and I've every sympathy with the skipper.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Having read the court papers I'm amazed the defence didn't leap all over the fact that a heavy smoker chose to do a deep technical dive with a chest infection. Not a massive step to suggest that sort of thing is likely to give you CO2 problems and potentially kill you.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Having read the court papers I'm amazed the defence didn't leap all over the fact that a heavy smoker chose to do a deep technical dive with a chest infection. Not a massive step to suggest that sort of thing is likely to give you CO2 problems and potentially kill you.
    It's about causation - the cause of death was in part due to the fall; "The death certificate recorded the cause of death as (i) drowning as a consequence of recreational technical diving and (ii) traumatic hepatic injury with haemoperitoneum resulting from a fall on a dive boat." on page 30.

Yes, smoking is likely to give you CO2 retention issues and potentially kill you, but that is not what is indicated to have caused his death, so they can't really use it as a defence when the death certificate points to the fall being the cause.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    Wow that is utterly gobsmacking what on earth were the defence doing for their enormous fees???
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678