Banner Ad

If only I'd known this before I got a compressor at home...?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MikeF
    Established TDF Member
    • Dec 2012

I bypassed the switch on the PE100 and use a DOL starter. Open the cover and check the switch and wiring. Mine was absolutely cooked. It also gives you the opportunity to add a run time meter for monitoring filter life and total run time for servicing.

Though back to the OP I wouldn’t use a small compressor to fill a J for boosting. These small compressors aren’t really built for running for hours on end and it takes me a few hours with a K15 (450lpm) to fill my booster drive J’s.
    Last edited by MikeF; 01-09-2021, 09:43 PM.

Comment

• cathal
      Established TDF Member
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by MikeF
      I bypassed the switch on the PE100 and use a DOL starter. Open the cover and check the switch and wiring. Mine was absolutely cooked. It also gives you the opportunity to add a run time meter for monitoring filter life and total run time for servicing.

Though back to the OP I wouldn’t use a small compressor to fill a J for boosting. These small compressors aren’t really built for running for hours on end and it takes me a few hours with a K15 (450lpm) to fill my booster drive J’s.
      Agreed, the mch6 is definitely not built for running for hours at a time. If filling an air bank, I usually run it for just over an hour at a time as I blew the switch box capacitors twice running it for more than 90 minutes .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

• Energy58
        Established TDF Member
        • Jun 2014

Originally posted by barchetta
        Is there not a local club with all the equipment?

i fill using club equipment after the dive and if i need that extra 20-30 bar fill on the way to the dive with cold cylinders definitely more efficient and less faff that creating a home rig.
        +1 for this... One of the main criteria for a club is a compressor

Comment

• graham_hk
          Established TDF Member
          • Jan 2013

Originally posted by dwhitlow
          Why do things need to be justified on price? Where's the saving in going diving at all. Sudoku is available if you want to be cheap? Watching grass grow is on offer too.

The convenience of fills at home is great. When it leaves I'll miss the compressor I have here (on extended loan as the owner is away diving for much of the season). At least I have O2, a booster, and three dive shops within three miles. Geography is great when it works in your favour

The compressor I've have came with an Omni Booster. Whilst not used often the omni booster is an awesome way to scavenge the contents of part full j cylinders to provide a higher pressure for decanting, and also means a rental bottle can be borrowed for a day and the gas moved to an empty. Losses are small and prices for a J of helium are much better than per litre.
          No one said its all about cost ultimately I had 2-3000 of compressor gear that I needed 2-3x per year - hardly worth it (for me), even though the convince was nice and its good to scavenge (lift bag method) helium. Much better (for me) to have a good mutually beneficial relationship with a local dive shop and use their compressor and drink their coffee whilst I regale them of valve drills I have done in quarries around the world.

Comment

• Allan Carr
            Established TDF Member
            • Dec 2012

We bought a small compressor for our club (a Bauer Junior 2) which runs off single phase mains and lives in our garage. The LDS where we used to fill our cylinders closed down after the owner retired following a heart attack. The closest for us was a 60 mile round trip and only opens four half days a week (closed weekends) and our only other option was a 90 mile round trip to Gildensludge.

The compressor works really well although it is a bit heavy on filters.

Comment

• ebt
              #keepittea
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by graham_hk
              whilst I regale them of valve drills I have done in quarries around the world.
              apparently i cant green you for this one, sadly!
              Free "cloud" store with Dropbox // Cheap Mobile SIM only deals with GiffGaff

Comment

• Paul Evans
                Cheeky Monkey...
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by ebt
                apparently i cant green you for this one, sadly!
                Epic
                “Continuous improvement is better than delayed perfection.” — Mark Twain

Comment

Working...