Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Back on the Huskyan

I was on board Emily's boat in September last year, please see the trip report. So I am back again, well you have to make the most of the dive opportunities available...

So to add to last years report, the house is a delight to stay in. Very modern, extremely clean, Emily is very very specific on this point. Lots of charging points, two fridges, a freezer, washing machine and tumble drier, dishwasher. Note that you must have indoor footwear or slippers, that or potentially cold feet.
    Stromness is fairly quiet at the moment, but you still need to book if you want to eat at the Ferry Inn, book well in advance please note.
    The Chinese takeaway is closed on Mondays.

Ben (Emily's partner in crime) operates the suit repair service at Scapa Scuba. I had to make use of this service due a leak in my crotch, as I had a distinct lack of time between dive trips. The over-night service is excellent and my suit is dry for the first time in quite a long time.

We have some Scapa virgins on the boat this week. They are a bit stunned at the quality of the UK diving. At 10m viz I have seen better, however due to the amount of metalwork available look at the dives remain very interesting. I may post videos later in the week.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll be interested to see your videos, I haven't dived Scapa since 1991 and I'm curious to see how the wrecks have deteriorated.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Stayed at the ferry inn on the 4 times iv dived scapa food was all ways vgood . Priority booking for guests table wise.
    And the nice lady always saved me some sticky toffee pudding lol I'd bet the accomodation and food prices are not as attractive as they used to be .
    None diver as of 2018.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Emily (and Ben)'s wonderful boat is one of my favourite places to be. Have a good one!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I decided to have new wrist seals fitted and these were sorted overnight, great service again from Ben.

It appears that I am booked on board for May next year. SWMBO has been informed and I have sought forgiveness in the form of knitting yarn, a neck warmer and the promise of accommodation in Stromness for us both.

So we have Mark Graf left to do in the morning and probably the Dresden in the afternoon.

Expect cake on the boat. If you ask for hot chocolate then you should expect the full works including a curly wurly. Other drinks are available (obviously) but hot choc is rather good.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There next month. I’ve taken notes re hot choccy. I have been on Emily’s and Ben’s before , it’s one of my happy places.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    Expect cake on the boat. If you ask for hot chocolate then you should expect the full works including a curly wurly. Other drinks are available (obviously) but hot choc is rather good.
    Curly wurlies now?
    Last year it was hot chocolate, cream, marshmallows, chocolate sprinkles and a finger of fudge. Served in a pint mug!

This one was actually mine (number 11)
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So after an epic week of dives I can report one bend that required a visit to Aberdeen, one possible bend that ended up in the chamber. All sorted for now. No excitement on the dives.

Some divers had a disagreement with the staff at the Ferry Inn resulting in them no longer being welcome for some time.

One exploding torch, not mine, which created a scene as Emily realised that the mess was on her boat.

Viz has been variable for Scapa, mostly good and some fabulous.
    Video production is in hand and might be back in May 2022.

If you have never been to Scapa bring a decent torch. One that works and is really really bright.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    One exploding torch, not mine, which created a scene as Emily realised that the mess was on her boat.
    A mess! On Emily's boat?

I can just imagine her reaction!

I've seen 5 star hotels with more mess than Emily's boat.

If you have never been to Scapa bring a decent torch. One that works and is really really bright.
    And that doesn't explode!
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    A mess! On Emily's boat?

I can just imagine her reaction!
    Washing up liquid, buckets of water. We half expected boat operations to cease as the boat was repainted.
    If anyone wants a good window cleaner Nick B is pretty good

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast