Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register

Thread: spg stuck

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

spg stuck

I had a wierd dive last night. I thought i had filled my cylinder a couple of weeks ago and when i dived yesterday didn't check before doing my buddy check.
    I found i had 110 bar in a 15l, we were doing a shallow drift 10-12m so left it and agreed to let my buddy know when i was down to 70 and then look to come up at 50 thinking i would have about 30 minutes. i was a bit nervous as not used to going in on such a low pressure but went with the flow.
    I then couldn't turn on a torch also recharged for a dive a couple of weeks ago. my back up worked - exposure marine act3 for about 20 mins, all of a sudden this stopped working too, my buddy lent me their spare so we continued.
    i tested both torches a couple of months back in a bucket of water both ran for 2 hours so i believed the batteries to be fine for this season.

I checked my air every 5 or so minutes it was falling so thought nothing of it about 15 minutes in it reached 80bar, and stayed at 80 until 30 minutes had elapsed and we returned to the surface, a bit of a floaty 3 min safety stop and back to the surface.
    I went to fill the cylinder and found about 30 bar, i filled the cylinder to 240 bar and put the first stage back on and re pressured. it showed 240, when purging the hand didnt sweep smoothly down. is there something i should check o rings etc. or just swap out. i do have a twinset used for deeper dives so could use one of those spg. Thoughts?
    Charged the other torch and back to working as expected.

Note to self double check everything at home before leaving for the dive.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Check the HP hose to see if there is degradation internally or blockage but ultimately, bin it and replace, its not worth the grief for €50
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    SPGs only last so long. My last one showed 40bar when not connected to a cylinder. I’m lucky if one lasts 10 years.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    Check the HP hose to see if there is degradation internally or blockage but ultimately, bin it and replace, its not worth the grief for €50
    Surely if it is stuck above 10b (safety margin) then you have an endless supply of gas?

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bin it - its a mechanical fault. It may have got water in it causing corrosion which isn't going to get better by itself - then buy the cheapest replacement you can find as all are made in the same two factories with the only difference being the logo printed on the dial.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Absolutely bin it, and the hose, usually sold together anyway. This is the one bit of kit that needs to be reliable, unless you are a Naval Dockyard diver on manifold inverted twins!.....................

And can count to 3!!!!!!!!!!
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger