Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by suebea View Post
    ...i have had some issues to overcome with weighting, floaty feet and panicking when things went wrong.
    We've all been there - don't worry. It might be over 35 years ago but I completed my (Novice Diver as it was then) mask clearing on the 6m shelf at Stoney Cove with a large rock clenched between my knees. My instinctive reaction on "take your mask off" was to take a huge breath.... and rise to the surface. Said large rock kept me tethered to the bottom while I removed mask, refitted and cleared.

Good luck!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by suebea View Post
    Thanks again - just wanted to say my frustrations are not with the quality of training i have been getting - my club are great and it is not all there fault as i have had some issues to overcome with weighting, floaty feet and panicking when things went wrong.

My frustration is with the consistancy of which we get to go out, I feel for me personally i would have benefitted from having a more intensive trainig. I know getting the qualification is just the start and that i need to get a lot more dives and experience in the water to improve not only my diving but my confidence. I will carry on and hopefully we will get out again this year to complete the skills.

Once done you will find me bobbing around the 6 metre platform at Capernwray getting practice, practice, practice every checne we get
    Qualifying is the first step - that equips you with the basic skills and certifies that you are a safe diver for a buddy. It is once you get that and actually start doing proper unsupervised dives with your buddy that you will get more experience and confidence and become a better diver.

What I think makes a huge difference to the sort of diver you will be is attitude at that point. Some divers see it as certificate done so I'm now a great diver and never improve. Others try to be a bit more critical and review their dives (I am one of them) with a view to "What can I do better next time?". I normally try to improve something whether it is how my gear is stored, practising a skill or two, asking my buddy if there is anything I could improve on, watching better/more experienced divers (to see if there is anything they do that I can copy (such as how they are trimmed in the water) etc. It sounds like you are in this group which is good imho.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For various reasons we see that some clubs are not quite up to speed at getting back into training after (well still living with ) COVID.

I think a few above have mentioned some options to help out. Regional training days, finding an instructor who may be able to help out or a local BSAC school - there have been some development here in making more schools available - Iíve sent you a PM if you want some more help in working out what you could do

Cheers
    Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBarber View Post
    Our club was at Porthkerris this month. An OD trainee (with a SD partner) turned up. The Trainee only needed 2 open water sessions to complete their qualification which had been delayed. Our instructor phoned their DO and he agreed they could finish the training with us and he would "honor it" in the branch records.
    There is no reason, apart from courtesy, to inform the DO of the branch. Dive qualifications are to be signed-off by the Lead Instructor of the Branch, Region or Centre that completes the course. This was introduced to prevent dogmatic DOs from holding people back or adding to the syllabus.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    There is no reason, apart from courtesy, to inform the DO of the branch. Dive qualifications are to be signed-off by the Lead Instructor of the Branch, Region or Centre that completes the course. This was introduced to prevent dogmatic DOs from holding people back or adding to the syllabus.
    This I know.

However our instructor is a volunteer. As such they decide who they might or might not take responsibility for.

Problems such as
    Left their branch in arrears of subs
    Left under disciplinary measures
    Have medical/behavioural problems
    May affect their decision.

They also chose to proceed only after deferring to the DO.

Not making new rules here.

We aren't obliged to train anyone.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Club I am in is near your area (lunesdale 138), we have managed to get some trainees through from scratch up to OD and starting sports diver even through covid

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    They also chose to proceed only after deferring to the DO.
    This is the part I have an issue with, if your refering to the member's DO.

How an individual organised their training is their concern, not some dogmatic DO.

Each instructor is responsible for the quality of training provided, and the competence of the trainee when they sign-off a lesson. The Lead Instructor's role is just to confirm all the lessons and experience dives have been done.

I've signed-off a few at the South Scotland regional training over the years.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    This is the part I have an issue with, if your refering to the member's DO.

How an individual organised their training is their concern, not some dogmatic DO.

Each instructor is responsible for the quality of training provided, and the competence of the trainee when they sign-off a lesson. The Lead Instructor's role is just to confirm all the lessons and experience dives have been done.

I've signed-off a few at the South Scotland regional training over the years.
    Totally agree - we are all supposed to train to the same standard not some arbitrary "in my day we used to..."; particularly as OD is now supposed to be modular (like it always was in the real world) so "hangover" skills may be a growing issue longer term. However, I think in the same circumstances I would probably tell the DO what I had done just so he knew.

Don't see why we couldn't have a central online database of lesson sign-offs with a "confirm by clicking on an email link" sent to the instructor's registered email to avoid the non-problem of pretend instructors hacking the BSAC database and signing off random lessons for money. It would be absolutely trivial to implement.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Our club was at Porthkerris this month. An OD trainee (with a SD partner) turned up. The Trainee only needed 2 open water sessions to complete their qualification which had been delayed. Our instructor phoned their DO and he agreed they could finish the training with us and he would "honor it" in the branch records.

Shortly off went the newly minted OD diver able to buddy with their SD partner for the remainder of their holiday.
    Where was the trainee from? If this was the lady from Milton Keynes thank you for completing her training.

Regards Graham

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Where was the trainee from? If this was the lady from Milton Keynes thank you for completing her training.

Regards Graham
    Agnes was I believe Polish.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast