Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBarber View Post
    Agnes was I believe Polish.
    Yes she is. once again thank you for both the training and the courtesy of speaking to our DO.

Graham.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    H Just looked at your club website looks good x

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    This is the part I have an issue with, if your refering to the member's DO.

How an individual organised their training is their concern, not some dogmatic DO.

Each instructor is responsible for the quality of training provided, and the competence of the trainee when they sign-off a lesson. The Lead Instructor's role is just to confirm all the lessons and experience dives have been done.

I've signed-off a few at the South Scotland regional training over the years.
    Interesting.
    So as DO I sign off on a lesson given by an unknown instructor when signing off the qualification of a student. Whoís house is on the line if that teaching is later fatally found to be sub standard? Bearing in mind the DO is the one signing the teaching has been completed to stds.?

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Interesting.
    So as DO I sign off on a lesson given by an unknown instructor when signing off the qualification of a student. Whoís house is on the line if that teaching is later fatally found to be sub standard? Bearing in mind the DO is the one signing the teaching has been completed to stds.?

B
    The instructor who signed off the lesson is responsible for compliance with standards. The Lead Instructor, not necessarily the DO, is responsible for ensuring all lessons and experience dives are signed-off; thatís it.

If you want to check an instructor was an active BSAC instructor on the day the lesson was done, contact HQ.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The instructor who signed off the lesson is responsible for compliance with standards. The Lead Instructor, not necessarily the DO, is responsible for ensuring all lessons and experience dives are signed-off; thatís it.

If you want to check an instructor was an active BSAC instructor on the day the lesson was done, contact HQ.
    Thanks for dodging the question. Having sat opposite the table from you with Steve. Who are the lawyers going for?

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    LOL My favourite, a beeserk insurance hypothetical. I might run a sweepstake for how many posts we can squeeze out of this one
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    ... a beeserk insurance hypothetical.
    I'm sure those involved in the Steve Martin case thought it hypothetical as well.

For good or bad - one reason I won't be a DO (or TO) ever again.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    I'm sure those involved in the Steve Martin case thought it hypothetical as well.

For good or bad - one reason I won't be a DO (or TO) ever again.
    Steve was let down badly - I think we all agree on that. He was not the DO but senior diver of the group IIRC. FWIW the reinstated legal cover is actually better than the DAN cover.

I don't blame you for your decision - the massive argument is such that it really is very hard to get to the truth. Also I think it is fair to say that the world and people's willingness to litigate has changed so much in the past 30 years or so that it really is time to question the current model of repsonsibility that covers amateur club based diver training. Indeed the whole model itself really needs to be looked at, not least why the required standards of preparedness are lower for amateur training than required in commercial operations.

The hobby horses and soap boxes get in the way of anything near a sensble debate though in my experience.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    Thanks for dodging the question. Having sat opposite the table from you with Steve. Who are the lawyers going for?

B
    The lawers would go for the instructor signing-off the lesson.

Established TDF Member Ron MacRae's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The lawers would go for the instructor signing-off the lesson.
    I'm not sure that's true.

Who oversees/QAs the instructors? The DO.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast