Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dorothea visitor numbers and future in jeopardy

I'm slowly getting drawn into working with the committee at Dorothea, principally as a media officer to promote the facility, but members of the NWTD may be aware that even allowing for the effects of Covid, visitor numbers are low and in the absence of an increase in utilisation to cover the costs associated with running the "centre", it may be lost to divers again sadly.

I'm just wondering if those who are close enough to it are not frequenting it for any obvious reason, whether any low or no cost changes would increase the chances of people visiting?

I also believe that there may be some myths about access, in so far that guests of club members can dive for a limited number of visits if they have the required qualification levels.

Instructors can also use the facility for training visits, given the platform upon which the club and access is structured.

We are considering whether project based diving in line with Project Baseline, including, survey, photogrammetry, stills and video capture etc. with a demonstrable purpose might stimulate interest.

Line condition surveys, line replacement programmes, submarine line links between artefacts and POI are also possibilities.

In the interests of full disclosure in the 90s I was at Dorothea weekly across the winter, but more recently my main focus inland has been the mines where we have a similar program of project work underway. I need to address this personally and with more freedom of movement now permissible I envisage this will be easier due to being able to increase the volumes of dives I do per annum.

Happy to take any input on what could be done to improve matters to encourage higher visitor numbers. It is after all a UNESCO site now.....kind of.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What is required qualification wise to dive there? Are there any facilities and what does it presently cost?

Graham

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Should find most details on here Graham:

https://www.nwtd.co.uk/

Facility wise there's a portaloo, erm a secure car park.....lots of water and more slate than somewhere with lots of slate.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Duplicate post deleted
    Last edited by Energy58; 19-08-2021 at 10:14 PM.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I didn't know that it had reopened - last I saw was that it was closed "forever" which may be an issue for those of us not active in the NW diving mileu. I know it used to be a top destination for divers around Manchester.

I just did a Google search - "Dorothea Quarry Diving" has 3 pages of doom and gloom death reports before you (eventually) get to the NWTD website and "Dorothea Diving" doesn't find the NWTD on the first 10 pages after which I gave up looking (which itself is quite impressive) so a bit of SEO and maybe a change to the domain name might drive a bit more traffic - I just checked and "dorothea-diving.co.uk" is available so for about £20 and a few minutes work you could probably shoot up the search rankings. Not sure I would ever have searched for NWTD if I didn't know to look.

Can't see that the £25 membership is going to be much of a deterrent compared to other places - driving to Weymouth for a dive for me is about £80 in fuel alone!

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    Can't see that the £25 membership is going to be much of a deterrent compared to other places - driving to Weymouth for a dive for me is about £80 in fuel alone!
    Plus £70 BSAC Direct membership if you aren't already a club member.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post

"Dorothea Quarry Diving" has 3 pages of doom and gloom death reports before you (eventually) get to the NWTD website
    Can't see that the £25 membership is going to be much of a deterrent compared to other places -
    Other places can afford toilet paper for the latrines. The present managment at Dorothea would need around 2200 divers each paying £25
    just to be able to break even and afford its first roll. Cant see it making it. Maybe with the few that do pay up they could buy a bunch of flowers for the Divers memorial garden.
    But on the bright side at £25 for the membership, entry, donation swindle its only a quid for every dead diver that died. Lest we forget and all.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Other places can afford toilet paper for the latrines. The present managment at Dorothea would need around 2200 divers each paying £25
    just to be able to break even and afford its first roll. Cant see it making it. Maybe with the few that do pay up they could buy a bunch of flowers for the Divers memorial garden.
    But on the bright side at £25 for the membership, entry, donation swindle its only a quid for every dead diver that died. Lest we forget and all.
    Someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed today..................
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Think Oban had five dead in one weekend .
    Shit happen s . The agenda at dotty from the owners point of view was bad news is good news . Quite the opposite from stoney and Oban
    Loads of places to put that divers memorial garden.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 22-08-2021 at 10:48 AM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Banned
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by gobfish1 View Post
    Think Oban had five dead in one weekend .

Loads of places to put that divers memorial garden.
    Great idea Steve. What like this?

https://mymodernmet.com/underwater-m...ure-lanzarote/

Cant make my mind up if the forth one or fifth one down would be best.
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 30-08-2021 at 08:02 PM.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast