Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gavin scooter, lithium conversion?

Hi.

Anyone converted they're Gavin DPV to lithium with success?

Wondering about buying a converted "short" one with a 30A 8s2p lifepo4.

But kinda unsure about the rumers with brush boards not handling this :?

Ps. This is in Norwegian waters.

Thanks

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I was looking at this seems there is quite a bit of variation in the motors which will affect it, there are low and high rpm windings and different brush setups. (high rpm motor, lithium no voltage sag, full pitch... lots of heat... melted solder on the brush boards)

There are also ways to regulate voltage of pack. Also probably different if it is aluminium tail cone or plastic for getting rid of the heat.

They'll also be a bitch for boat diving, remember these were made for americans who could fall out of the back of their pickup truck straight into the water.

Nicotine, valium, vicodin... notdeadyet's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I was looking at this seems there is quite a bit of variation in the motors which will affect it, there are low and high rpm windings and different brush setups. (high rpm motor, lithium no voltage sag, full pitch... lots of heat... melted solder on the brush boards)

There are also ways to regulate voltage of pack. Also probably different if it is aluminium tail cone or plastic for getting rid of the heat.

They'll also be a bitch for boat diving, remember these were made for americans who could fall out of the back of their pickup truck straight into the water.
    Assuming these are original Gavins and not the new German ones, I can only speak from the units I owned, the brush boards were shit. The only failures I had were brush boards.

Can you still get spares and support for them? GI3 was an absolute arse to deal with. DPV Repair was great but don't know if still going. Original Gavins must be getting very long in the tooth by now and being able to get parts would be my main concern over batteries and brushes. Uness it's dirt cheap I wouldn't touch it. There's bound to be better second hand options out there.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post
    Assuming these are original Gavins and not the new German ones, I can only speak from the units I owned, the brush boards were shit. The only failures I had were brush boards.

Can you still get spares and support for them? GI3 was an absolute arse to deal with. DPV Repair was great but don't know if still going. Original Gavins must be getting very long in the tooth by now and being able to get parts would be my main concern over batteries and brushes. Uness it's dirt cheap I wouldn't touch it. There's bound to be better second hand options out there.
    Yes im refering to the older ones
    Ok, i hear others also mention the brush boards.. :/

Actually i now got in touch with a guy who converted he's old Gavin short to lithium. 8s2p lifepo4 pack. Im reaaaally considering buying this one, mainly because of reduced weight compared to mine.. 42 KG is just to heavy for me in the long run..
    But my consern is what you mention, the brush board... Hmmm

I see there are a few stores still has lots of spare parts for these old Gavins. And thanks for the heads up on "dpv repair", i see they still are alive, and have some stuff for fair prices. Doh shipping here is 150 USD! DANG!

What are your toughts on a lithium converted gavin, and the brush board? around 3v more fully charged. FYI... I live in Norway, so rather cold waters all year. lol
    Previus owner has around 30 dives with this thing already.

Thanks

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Having done 100s of dives on gavins I can say I am happy with a Suex

Do not overdrive the gavin motor it is already running at full capacity. Even then its not a good idea to run them for long periods you can get a t16 and then put lithium (~40Ah) for 2000-2500 much better use of funds Id say Id not pay more than 500 for a gavin personally and expect to get good at fixing them

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dragon_no1 View Post
    Yes im refering to the older ones
    Ok, i hear others also mention the brush boards.. :/

Actually i now got in touch with a guy who converted he's old Gavin short to lithium. 8s2p lifepo4 pack. Im reaaaally considering buying this one, mainly because of reduced weight compared to mine.. 42 KG is just to heavy for me in the long run..
    But my consern is what you mention, the brush board... Hmmm

I see there are a few stores still has lots of spare parts for these old Gavins. And thanks for the heads up on "dpv repair", i see they still are alive, and have some stuff for fair prices. Doh shipping here is 150 USD! DANG!

What are your toughts on a lithium converted gavin, and the brush board? around 3v more fully charged. FYI... I live in Norway, so rather cold waters all year. lol
    Previus owner has around 30 dives with this thing already.

Thanks
    The brush boards weren't particularly expensive when they went. I got a local electric motor engineering place to fix them, can't remember what I paid but it wasn't huge. The trouble was a lot of other stuff could get fried in the process that needed replaced.

I can't really give an opinion on whether or not to buy. I had three Gavins, now I have no Gavins. Draw your own conclusions as to whether I'd buy one If it was cheap and I was confident I could keep it going? Maybe. But probably not.

Or just do more deadlifts and squats and live with the 42kg... Lead acid is cheap and reliable.
    Caliph Hamish Aw-Michty Ay-Ya-Bastard, Spiritual leader of Scottish State in England

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by notdeadyet View Post

I've never had one but parts wise, was there really much to go wrong? Presume props/clutches are the widely copied and available one.

Wondering if I got a cheap one it could be good for converting to brushless + lithium. Short body 30kg ish I can handle on boat, long one don't fancy bad back

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by WFO View Post
    I've never had one but parts wise, was there really much to go wrong? Presume props/clutches are the widely copied and available one.

Wondering if I got a cheap one it could be good for converting to brushless + lithium. Short body 30kg ish I can handle on boat, long one don't fancy bad back
    The trigger assembly was utter shit, it always looked ready to fall apart on every one I owned. It wasn't the original Oceanic assembly, it was some custom lashed up pile of pish.

If you dared use the prop pitch adjuster then it was generally enough to strip the threads on it. Ideally you would just leave it set where you liked it and never touched it again but the blades have a habit of flattening out after use so you kind of have to. I don't know if these are still available, I'd imagine the supply was dwindling.

Relays will go now and again. It's a widely available part but they were soldered in to a custom board. In the past you'd just swap out the whole board but now they aren't available cheaply I guess you'd have to desolder the old one and fit a new one. Not the end of the world but a pain all the same. I believe some people modded theirs to accept car-style plug in relays.

If you've got access to a workshop and the skills to use it then it would be fairly easy to keep a Gavin going. They weren't built with any level of sophistication. In fact, in engineering terms they are pretty badly made. They look like what they were, made in a garage by someone with ideas but no skill. The DIR crowd pretended they painted them black because it cut down on reflection, I suspect it was more because you can't see how badly executed they are when painted black.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Buy a second hand SUEX.

Does anyone know of a problem with a SUEX that wasn't just an old/worn-out battery? I know a lot of people with them and I've never heard of a fault.

I have, however, watched someone :

Flood an entire gavin tube. Sank like a 20kg stone and needed a recovery dive with a lift bag. If it was in the sea, it would have been gone.
    Have the shitty read switch trigger stick-on and spin like a catherine wheel.
    Spend days trimming the thing with scraps of lead.
    Turn two fully functional magnum gavins into legs for a nice bar in a man cave.

Established TDF Member Iain Smith's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    I have, however, watched someone :

Flood an entire gavin tube. Sank like a 20kg stone and needed a recovery dive with a lift bag. If it was in the sea, it would have been gone.
    That wasn't a fundamental problem with the scooter. That was a mismatch of an old thin-walled body and a new back-end, such that a robust seal did not formed. Blaming the Gavin design for that would be a bit like blaming a rebreather for hypoxia/anoxia when the user had removed the mushroom valves from the mouthpiece. (And, if memory serves, there were only three of us on that dive...and you weren't one. The scooter leaked having already been placed on the floor of the cave to allow a bottle rotation. There was no sinking involved.)

The adjusting the reed switch and trimming is, as you say, a bit of a PITA. Then again, with Suex's starting at 4K+, people must have vastly more disposable income than I do to justify such pricey "occasional use" items.
    Last edited by Iain Smith; 05-02-2022 at 10:43 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast