Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Revo divers and their insane cell theories

I saw this online today and was alarmed to say the least.

Given that the origin of the post has not been CCR diving long enough to have a cell expire on age, nevermind one reach 30 months, their blasť attitude must have been indoctrinated somewhere. I have seen similar mindsets from revo divers elsewhere. How are revo units the only ones that are immune to 12-18 month cell rotation plans?

That's the beauty of having 5 cells. With 3 you have to pre-emptively change them. With 5 you can see if one's failing and run them for longer.
    JJ wanker

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cathal View Post
    Not really but I know another man with very weird notions about CCRs that posts PDFs at every opportunity too.

I am not saying you need to change them all at the same time, even though it is a perfectly valid policy, but even your own referenced linknshows that cell failure incidence is markedly higher with age and is hugely higher as cells are over 18 months old, yet revo divers are quite content to have a 29 month old cell in use as "there are three good ones in there"
    Last edited by Paulo; 14-08-2021 at 10:09 AM.
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulo View Post
    I saw this online today and was alarmed to say the least.

Given that the origin of the post has not been CCR diving long enough to have a cell expire on age, nevermind one reach 30 months, their blasť attitude must have been indoctrinated somewhere. I have seen similar mindsets from revo divers elsewhere. How are revo units the only ones that are immune to 12-18 month cell rotation plans?
    I think rule #2 covers this quite well

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm a rEvo diver and definitely wouldn't be happy running cells that are 29 months old. I personally use 4 cells, 3 for my predator and 3 for my n@90 HUD with 2 cell splitters.

I make sure that the 3 in my predator are less than 12 months old and I might allow the 4th to be up to 18 months old - but it depends on what I'm doing.

B

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Not really but I know another man with very weird notions about CCRs that posts PDFs at every opportunity too.

I am not saying you need to change them all at the same time, even though it is a perfectly valid policy, but even your own referenced linknshows that cell failure incidence is markedly higher with age and is hugely higher as cells are over 18 months old, yet revo divers are quite content to have a 29 month old cell in use as "there are three good ones in there"
    Page 16 - 18 of the first paper pretty much sums up the cell replacement paradigm. If you are still unsure just email the manufacturer directly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    I get that some people like the additional cells and the perception that it creates more info for them to be able to make decisions on. However, I do not get how keeping a cell for as long as people advocate is appropriate. If you want to have 5 cells fine, knock yourself out but why not replace one every 3 months? That way the oldest cell is less than 18 months.

Also if having more cells is the "best" approach, why do all of the other manufacturers, at least to my knowledge, only fit 3? I am not aware of a single other manufacturer designing more that 3 cells as part of the factory spec.
    JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I get that some people like the additional cells and the perception that it creates more info for them to be able to make decisions on. However, I do not get how keeping a cell for as long as people advocate is appropriate. If you want to have 5 cells fine, knock yourself out but why not replace one every 3 months? That way the oldest cell is less than 18 months.

Also if having more cells is the "best" approach, why do all of the other manufacturers, at least to my knowledge, only fit 3? I am not aware of a single other manufacturer designing more that 3 cells as part of the factory spec.
    Perhaps the same logic as having a 6 wheel vehicle and not worrying about the unreliable tyres on the ASSumption there's enough to cover the failures?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhitlow View Post
    Perhaps the same logic as having a 6 wheel vehicle and not worrying about the unreliable tyres on the ASSumption there's enough to cover the failures?
    Or the divers we used to have in the good old days - "I don't need to surface with 50 bar - I have a Pony!"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by 1st Ade View Post
    Or the divers we used to have in the good old days - "I don't need to surface with 50 bar - I have a Pony!"
    But how do you know you have 50 bar left if you don’t have a gauge ?
    I trust my rebreather implicitly I just don't trust the owner

Onwards & downwards.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast