Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do we own anything in the UK?

I have just been to a power station and been told that new foreign owners are taking possession in a weeks time.
    It has got me thinking, are there any major suppliers/manufacturers, UK owned now?
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Been through my mental list of those companies I know and the answer is certainly in the negative.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I have just been to a power station and been told that new foreign owners are taking possession in a weeks time.
    It has got me thinking, are there any major suppliers/manufacturers, UK owned now?
    Catch up; I was asking this prior to five years ago, when people started waving their union jack underpants around and claiming "we got our country back".

Depressingly little is the actual answer.
    Entertaining is the number of state owned companies, like EDF or RWE, that own UK assets we are incapable of nationalising.

I went apoplectic, when Gordon Brown started his trade mission to China with an interview stating he was "Easy with the foreign ownership of British firms". bend over lads, its all on offer, come and get it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    I went apoplectic, when Gordon Brown started his trade mission to China with an interview stating he was "Easy with the foreign ownership of British firms". bend over lads, its all on offer, come and get it.
    To be fair he had little choice as he needed to service the debt Thatcher had laden us with.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    To be fair he had little choice as he needed to service the debt Thatcher had laden us with.
    So brown followed the tory scum budget for his first two years, before ditching the balance the books approach and then set deficit budgets year on year.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So brown followed the tory scum budget for his first two years, before ditching the balance the books approach and then set deficit budgets year on year.
    Again to be fair (this hurts me you know ) Blair (Mrs T's greatest achievement as she said) promised to follow the Tory spend/tax for that period in order not to frighten the Telegraph readers.

For once a politician kept their promise.

Blair/Brown ran a surplus in 2004 for which they were roundly criticised by the banks as there were not enough gilts for them to buy. It was the last time the UK saw a surplus on the current account. It is a little known fact but the Tories have (ever since WW2) spent more and borrowed more than the Labour administration they replaced. Osborne/Cameron imposed so called austerity but nevertheless doubled public debt. Much of this spend is corruption with this misspending and theft being the reason Major was knocked out of power.

I don't like the Labour party very much - if at all really - but they generally get the clean-up job if one is fair to them. Like you I had to hold my nose voting for them last time but in the face of the current thieves I saw no option. Hopefully I will not ever have to do that again.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The balance of payments deficit has been financed for many years by selling off UK assets to gain foreign currency. Much of hte UK is owned by overseas companies and to be fair a lot of UK capital has bought up overseas companies. I worked for British Coal pension fund before it was wound up and we owned about 10% of CGE now Veolia (https://www.veolia.com/en/veolia-gro...tory/1853-1900)

Incoming dividend payments from overseas investments (Mrs T's "invisible exports") offset the outgoing capital and dividend to some extent. As more is sold off to pay the bill then the feedback is negative as more dividends go out as well.

This is why we are headed for a currency crash at some point. We are, at present, defying gravity, as is the current account defect and real estate prices.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The question is, do we own anything worth having?
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    The question is, do we own anything worth having?
    well NVidia were damn keen to get ARM, which had already been sold to some japanese investment vampire group, there is a chip fab in south wales that the chinese want. I didn`t realise there was actually a chip fab left in the UK when I saw that one.

Tony Blair and Brown oversaw more destruction of UK industry than Maggie, it just doesn`t fit the narrative.
    UK manufacturing by value increased after Maggie, it just no longer was a mass employment game, and the massive increase in service sector jobs and banking diminished it`s proportion of the overall gdp, so telling people it was as dead as the dinosaurs (Ed Balls, tosser) became an easy tag line.

If you watch goodfellas, and compare the description of how the maffia moved into a business, asset stripped it, and then burnt it down for the insurance; then look into how the major hedge funds and private equity firms operate, you would be surprised at how similar they are.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If you watch goodfellas, and compare the description of how the maffia moved into a business, asset stripped it, and then burnt it down for the insurance; then look into how the major hedge funds and private equity firms operate, you would be surprised at how similar they are.
    So very true.

Rgds

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast