Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Torch

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    I'd also say there's a sweet spot for light - brighter is not better its just more expense and waste. Water, particularly less than crystal clear water, attenuates light very quickly.

In terms of output there is a lot of smoke and mirrors - Lumens vs lux vs Cd. Different manufacturers try to pull the wool over your eyes by using a unit, like lumen which isn't that useful, since its total output and you're more likely interested in the focus and what is the focus angle where it all gets more subjective ... Also output will vary with charge and over time particularly with over driven bulbs or with poor heat dissipation.
    Best thing you can do is find someone with a light you fancy and take it for a side by side dip. I was looking at the LFM head with the double emitters (narrow and wide) then played with one in the water and although it was ok, it wasn't nearly as good as the Nautilus head (which in turn isn't quite as good as the Focus 2 although it's still a very very good light).

Somewhere I think I have a photo of the Salvo 21W shining down my garden with the Nautilus next to it. The Salvo looks like a very very dim candle in comparison.

An extreme version of Graham's point is a video light- it might chuck out 8000 lumens but any more than stuff a couple of metres away isn't lit as the light needs focussing. Better a well engineered, well focussed dimmer light than a Chinese lumen monster that fires everywhere apart from where you want it, then melts your bag when you put it away, assuming the 18650 charger hasn't set fire to your house first.

That's why proper underwater video lights like Keldans are eye wateringly expensive.
    Last edited by Woz; 23-07-2021 at 09:20 AM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Aha!

Concrete wall at the end is the Ammonite. Bush on the right is a 21W Salvo.

I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post

Better a well engineered, well focussed dimmer light than a Chinese lumen monster that fires everywhere apart from where you want it, then melts your bag when you put it away, assuming the 18650 charger hasn't set fire to your house first.

That's why proper underwater video lights like Keldans are eye wateringly expensive.
    LOL sage advice

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    I agree with Graham. My Light Monkey 21W HID is still bright and going strong.
    ... and replacement bulbs are still available. Despite all the bad press a good HID is still a great light. For a long time my preference for most UK conditions has been the Light Monkey 35w HID. It might be a big lump with less specified lumens than some LEDS but the beam is where I point it and is not lighting up the crap in the water.

However, I recently dived the latest Light Monkey 20w LED. They've done a good job on the optics and delivered a bright focussed beam, but with variable output so
    I need to take them both for a dive and compare them underwater to see if I have a new favourite.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12