Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Torch

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

New Torch

Hello - asking for some TDF wisdom.

I've a 21W Salvo HID that bought back around 2006. Apart from having a new cable and glands it's otherwise untouched. Still on the orginal bulb.

I've loved having it! However, the battery is kaput after getting it wet during diving this weekend. So - I'm debating whether to invest in a new battery, or perhaps put that money towards a more modern upgrade. I guess I could also realise some value from selling it, but without the battery.

So a couple of questions I suppose:

1) How does it perform relative to more modern unbilicals out there? In terms of brightness, durability and battery life. Does it's performance still stand up overall?

2) Any ideas on residual value? What's it worth if I got a replacement battery and sold it as working torch? What about without worry about the battery replacement?

Thanks

Andy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Strikalite do replacement batteries. https://www.strikalite.co.uk/prodcat...ery_packs.html
    Mine is still going on the original (short) bulb. It gets outshone by modern LED stuff but it's still a serviceable light.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks Woz - that's useful to know, especially since it appears you can choose between 4.5 and 9 AH batteries. I forget which it came with orginally.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Given the age of the bulb I would suggest looking at a new light system. The LED technology has moved on in leaps and bounds.
    I have a Greenforce Hepstar that I thought was bright. Last year I bought some video lights at 9,000 lumens, and they are really bright.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian@1904 View Post
    Given the age of the bulb I would suggest looking at a new light system. The LED technology has moved on in leaps and bounds.
    I have a Greenforce Hepstar that I thought was bright. Last year I bought some video lights at 9,000 lumens, and they are really bright.
    9000 lumens... Pah!,

I've got a couple of ebay video lights that are 25,000 (Chinese) lumens!
    I don't believe the quoted numbers but they are also VERY bright.

I personally wouldn't bother trying to keep an HID going as it'll be the bulb next and they're getting difficult to get hold of now... bite the bullet and move to LED.
    Tea Boy

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    don't listen to the replace mob. You've got a functional light - better to get some more use out of that I'd say.

Fix the battery and when the head goes replace the head (or the bulb if you can get one). The canister will be good for a heated vest - but whole set will probably sell for 100-150 ...

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I agree with Graham. My Light Monkey 21W HID is still bright and going strong.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks All

Some options to ponder there. I do like the idea of upgrading, Does anyone have the idea of the lumens that the Salvo puts out, to compare with a modern LED equivalent?

Andy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy Bloss View Post
    Thanks All

Some options to ponder there. I do like the idea of upgrading, Does anyone have the idea of the lumens that the Salvo puts out, to compare with a modern LED equivalent?

Andy
    I wouldn't base anything on stated lumens as that's only half the story.

I reckon the nicest combo right now is a Halcyon Focus 2 on an Ammonite battery. I have the Ammonite head and on paper, it puts out more lumens. Problem is it's a multi doo dah emitter so the focussing isn't as good as the er Focus, so it doesn't cut through the murk as well as the Halcyon. The Halcyon battery, unless they have improved it, for some reason disconnects when screwed all the way in and you have to fiddle it to get it to work.

The Salvo puts out a lovely column of light that just works. There are brighter LEDs out there, and they have caught up in the focussing but there is such a thing as TOO bright in the water. I normally run my Ammonite Nautilus head at medium as on full chat it's just too bright in murky waters- you can see what is in your torch beam but outside that your eyes are ruined and the backscatter is brutal.

Chinese lumens are like penis inches. Don't believe what you read...
    Last edited by Woz; 23-07-2021 at 09:10 AM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'd also say there's a sweet spot for light - brighter is not better its just more expense and waste. Water, particularly less than crystal clear water, attenuates light very quickly.

In terms of output there is a lot of smoke and mirrors - Lumens vs lux vs Cd. Different manufacturers try to pull the wool over your eyes by using a unit, like lumen which isn't that useful, since its total output and you're more likely interested in the focus and what is the focus angle where it all gets more subjective ... Also output will vary with charge and over time particularly with over driven bulbs or with poor heat dissipation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast