Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    That makes a bit more sense, they don`t cast like that anymore.
    On the way to work today I passed a lorry with only 4 items on the back.
    I remember thinking that there won't be much money in that journey until
    I was at the side and noticed they were the counter weights from a crane
    or a fork truck. Each item weighed 6500kg.

Ahhhh I thought four items but 26 tonnes makes a fair load

taz

Last edited by taz; 14-01-2022 at 12:19 PM.
    .. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Again at RR, they were moving one of the huge W&B vertical lathes and got part way through the move and had to lease it overnight to finish the following day. Some wag put a notice on it when they left it saying 'Please do not move!'

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Again at RR, they were moving one of the huge W&B vertical lathes and got part way through the move and had to lease it overnight to finish the following day. Some wag put a notice on it when they left it saying 'Please do not move!'
    Where we looked at the 72" borer (that one only weighs 30 tonnes) they also had in stock a 120" unit. You have to dig the floor out, pour a special foundation for that and it gets delivered in 4 bits that get assembled on site. That one might have been a tad on the big side for us. Max table load on it is... 25 tonnes. A load that big spinning at 58 rpm would have to be bolted down properly.

Oooo it's still for sale if you want one:
    http://www.webster-bennett.co.uk/sto...boring-machine
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    Where we looked at the 72" borer (that one only weighs 30 tonnes) they also had in stock a 120" unit. You have to dig the floor out, pour a special foundation for that and it gets delivered in 4 bits that get assembled on site. That one might have been a tad on the big side for us. Max table load on it is... 25 tonnes. A load that big spinning at 58 rpm would have to be bolted down properly.

If I had the space, a horizontal would be nice.
    30" table sort of size, rotary table & boring support.
    Not worth the floor space for the half dozen or so jobs a year that I muddle through or duck at the moment.
    There again, my justification for the wire edm is not what might be called "bulletproof"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

It would have been the 120" that RR had, given the size of the RB211 outer casing. I was talking to the Production Engineer responsible for it and he showed me the drawings which had come from Design. They had asked for a tolerance of 0.1mm across the whole diameter. He said he had to go back to Design and ask them at what temperature? You can imagine the expansion of something that size with just a degree or two of temperature change.

I wonder what size of machine they have to produce the Trent 1000 casings which are considerably bigger?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    It would have been the 120" that RR had, given the size of the RB211 outer casing. I was talking to the Production Engineer responsible for it and he showed me the drawings which had come from Design. They had asked for a tolerance of 0.1mm across the whole diameter. He said he had to go back to Design and ask them at what temperature? You can imagine the expansion of something that size with just a degree or two of temperature change.

I wonder what size of machine they have to produce the Trent 1000 casings which are considerably bigger?
    The fan diameter of the Trent 1000 is 112", the core engine cases are quite a bit smaller given the 10:1 bypass.

Think the RB211 started out about 86" diameter Fan.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If I had the space, a horizontal would be nice.
    30" table sort of size, rotary table & boring support.
    Not worth the floor space for the half dozen or so jobs a year that I muddle through or duck at the moment.
    There again, my justification for the wire edm is not what might be called "bulletproof"
    I have a lovely Dixie that's about that big.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a lovely Dixie that's about that big.
    Did not know that make, had to look it up; that`s more of a jig borer.
    Swiss?
    I was thinking more boring/facing Kearns/Union/TOS type of thing.
    Basically a four-sides horizontal milling machine set up that can line bore lumps I cant get in the Lathe.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

low range 2.2rpm that's a bit of torque!

Our WB's at work cut less than true, reckon 30 years of cutting 60 rockwell C chrome iron has got to them a bit (plus whatever they did for the previous 30 I guess)
    Last edited by WFO; 17-01-2022 at 09:31 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Did not know that make, had to look it up; that`s more of a jig borer.
    Swiss?
    I was thinking more boring/facing Kearns/Union/TOS type of thing.
    Basically a four-sides horizontal milling machine set up that can line bore lumps I cant get in the Lathe.
    I threw away a Kearns no 2 you could have had for nowt...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast