Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dorset Shore Diving Sites

I'm taking a group of new divers down to Dorset at the weekend for their first sea diving experience. Was thinking of Swanage Pier and Kimmeridge. Can anyone give me the up to date info on access, parking etc.? Any other sites with easy shore diving access anyone can recommend?

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Swanage has parking on the pier (if you're early enough) and plenty of parking just next to the pier in Broad Road car park.
    The pier was fully open when I was there last weekend. easy access down the steps.

I don't know Kimmeridge as well, but some of my club mates were there on Saturday. I don't think they had any issues with access or parking.

If you want to go a bit further to Weymouth/Portland, there's Chesil Beach, Newton's Cove or shore diving at Portland Castle (see Divemouse's photos from last week)
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    I'm taking a group of new divers down to Dorset at the weekend for their first sea diving experience. Was thinking of Swanage Pier and Kimmeridge. Can anyone give me the up to date info on access, parking etc.? Any other sites with easy shore diving access anyone can recommend?
    I’d suggest Newton’s or Chesil. Took a couple of our trainees chesil last year for their first open water dives. Newton’s is a 3m max and a lovely little things dive.

B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    I’d suggest Newton’s or Chesil. Took a couple of our trainees chesil last year for their first open water dives. Newton’s is a 3m max and a lovely little things dive.
    If conditions are favourable then Chesil will be a memorable experience for new divers. It offers a huge range of wildlife and a very real shore entry experience with the convenience of easy kit drop-off with local parking, food and drink, toilets, and local gas fills. If the winds is very light, or easterly, then Chesil is a good option although you need to check for swell from offshore weather events (Windfinder usually shows these as long period waves).

Newton's Cove is easy entry with (wet and slippery) steps down to the sea and can be dived on most tides. It is very much a kit drop and park location and is not good in easterly, or south-easterly, winds. There are handy kitting up steps there and you'll often be sharing the space with swimmers.

Portland Castle has simple parking where you can ready your kit. At weekends there's a coffee van, and you may have helicopters to watch. It lacks other facilities (although the marina and dive shop are near) and it is best done at high water. Easterly winds and north-easterly winds make it less inviting. The beach can be busy with swimmers and dog walkers.