Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Basic Dive Computer with Bright Screen?

Are there any "basic" dive computers with highly visible screens?

A new diver buddy of mine is looking for a dive computer. From the type of diving he's expecting to do (fairly basic single tank, nitrox, <35m, minimal deco), I'd usually suggest something like a Suunto Zoop. But he likes the look of the screens on my OSTC and another diver's Eon Steel.

It seems that any computer with a nice bright coloured screen also has all the super-technical features that he'll never need (trimix, gradient factors, 5 gas switching, etc)

Is there no market for a "Zoop" type functionality with an "OSTC" type screen?
    Or would adding the screen make the price pretty much the same as an OSTC Sport?
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    how about that new shearwater peregrine? still £400+ so certainly not at the cheaper end of the market like a zoop, but cheaper than an ostc etc.
    narked do them, but showing out of stock.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sorry to hijack the thread but I have an EON steel that I am selling on behalf of a friend who had to give up diving due to serious health reasons. Itís a few years old but only has a handful of warm water dives. Heíd kept it ( along with the rest of his kit) in the hope that he may get back in the water but that isnít going to happen so itís going.

My friend didnít need the tech side of this and only used for single tank Nx recreational. Seemed to work fine for him

PM if of any interest to your buddy and Iíll send pics / any other info
    Last edited by John63; 27-05-2021 at 09:29 AM.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Gallileo Ultra? Around 400 quid big clear display but not as bright as something like a Shearwater - not gas switching but does Nitrox, digital compass etc etc...

EDIT Just looked at the Perigrine which seems to retail at about £430 - looks much better value than the Gallileo Mikes Dive Store has one in stock...
    Last edited by Energy58; 27-05-2021 at 10:09 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Another one with nice big numbers and a clear display, though not colour is the Mares Quad. has a backlight also. Can be bought for around £220 if you shop around.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    You can customise the data on the screens of the shearwaters and they have a Rec mode too.

They may be overkill but they are superb bits of kit and I am not sure the likes of an Eon compares
    Seemingly I am a wannabe JJ wanker

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    another SW peregrine vote. Not a sunnto fan , son used one for a while but the deco algorithm did my head in. He bought the SWP and itís fantastic. Does all the basic stuff your talking and will cover all nitrox diving. SW configured but also fully customizable as your (mates) knowledge grows.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    Another one with nice big numbers and a clear display, though not colour is the Mares Quad. has a backlight also. Can be bought for around £220 if you shop around.
    I second the Mares Quad. Not colour, but super clear, easy to read and easy and simple to use. There's an AI version as well.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    An FB friend who runs a dive shop just posted this. Might fit the bill?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is this Aqualung i330r at £270 https://www.kentdivingservices.com/P...=search&PPGR=0 which has a colour screen, Bluetooth and so forth.