Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    High point for a vhf aerial, radar reflector, nav lights. Can hang a couple of flare/storage tubs off it, hang shot lines off it. Something to cling onto when someone shouts "Put the elephant trunk down."

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Interested in this thread. We are in very much the same position, our rib which we’ll visit this weekend for the first time since August , is looking very sorry for its self. Our engine a Suzuki 115 4stroke is ok. So I’m wondering about one of those XS ribs without engine or electrictonics. Just need to find some money now

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    RNLI seem to manage without an A frame on their D class.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveBarber View Post
    Something I have never understood. I'm sure someone will make it clearer.

Whats an A frame for? Why is it essential?

Main purpose as far as I can see is to take money out of your wallet!
    Or something to mount a decent ladder from...
    Mine's solid enough to climb wearing my meg. Only take my stages off because I'm not sure my knees would take the extra weight any more... I've also got the vhf aerial and radar reflector on the top of it to get height above the water.
    Tea Boy

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Doomanic View Post
    I've just taken a look at that XS Ribs webshite. Doing my best to ignore the disturbingly '90's layout, I had a look at the turnkey price for an XS 700; over £61K Fuck. Me. Sideways! And how the fuck is an outboard motor £15K???
    https://www.xs-ribs.co.uk/app/downlo...00+Coded+Q.pdf
    Quite a bit more for a Ribcraft - if you can even get a build slot as they're so busy. It can be worth paying the extra for one. I sold my 6 year old 5.85 for £6k less than I paid for it new - they hold their value better than most.
    I've got one of the ex Olympic 7.8s with a 200 on it - I think 150 on a 7m will be a little underpowered for diving if you really load it up.
    Tea Boy

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vanny View Post
    Interested in this thread. We are in very much the same position, our rib which we’ll visit this weekend for the first time since August , is looking very sorry for its self. Our engine a Suzuki 115 4stroke is ok. So I’m wondering about one of those XS ribs without engine or electrictonics. Just need to find some money now
    Maybe think about getting it re-tubed; if the engine and electronics are good and there is are no structural problems with the existing hull its the way to go - it will be pennies compared to a new hull. I have seen lots of perfectly good hulls scrapped unnecessarily. When you do your sums don't underestimate the cost of all the ancillary bits (A frame, racks etc etc) that you will need to add to a new hull that you probably already have on the old one but wont fit the new one; they add up surprisingly.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12