Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ballpark Costs for a New Club RIB?

My Club's 5.5m RIB is getting very tired, all aspects of it: hull, electronics, engine and trailer.

We're thus getting very close to having the more detailed conversations on what to target next, what it might cost, and how we're going to fund raise.

One key requirement is that it must be tow-able by a large / powerful family car.

I'll speculate at something around 6m with a 140hp outboard. Does around £35k sound like a good ball-park figure for a fully comprehensive package? Has your club done this recently, and have you got any pearls of wisdom to pass on please? What model did you go for and why?

Please take it as read that we'll have had the conversation about not having a RIB at all; our closest dive-able coast is N Wales, and there's not many charter options out there.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    A 6m RIB is a bit over half a tonne and a 140hp OBM is about 200Kg. So the whole shooting match is going to be near a tonne with fuel and gear plus the trailer (450Kg ish). I would just double check on the available tow vehicles if you are looking at a boat that size. My 2.0 Insignia will tow 1600Kg so it is probably too small a boat of that size. My van tows 2500Kg so no problem.

I would have thought you could get something half decent at the budget. Lot more than I have to spend
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nice Ribcraft for that, I'd have thought.....

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It's not so much the towing that's the issue as a RIB is relatively light and easy to tow. It's launching the thing that usually knackers the tow car. Also you will only have pre 1997 old farts towing it unless they take their B&E test (about £500). We specifically bought a 5.3m RIB as with the engine, it was towable by even the Fiat Punto of Dreams by a uni student. Both of our boats have spanking new Evinrude 90hp 2 strokes on them which are stunning engines, have tonnes of low down grunt, will shove 6 divers + kit + cox'n easily and aren't daft heavy like a 4 stroke. Oh and they are clean as anything as if you take the lid off, it's mostly computers. I think they may have binned making outboards though which is a crying shame.

We found that it's not so much the length, but the shape of the boat that makes the big difference. A well designed 5.5 will have more room than a badly designed 6m. Ideally:
    - broad hull so you can kit divers up round the bottle rack
    - console well forward so it doesn't chew up payload space
    - deep vee and high bow for shite weather

Yes a shallower vee and narrower hull will be faster, but view it far more as a workboat than a speed boat. We have a Tornado that's lovely to drive but rubbish to kit up on, and another boat of unknown make that is rubbish to drive but brilliant for kitting up. Some sort of happy medium would be better!

Humber often have ex-demo boats for sale-they're worth a look. I wouldn't get another Tornado as they have a weird tube material that is a bugger to mend. We ended up having ours retubed by Humber.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Towing is one of the big problems with Club RIBs - the other is selfishness! We got rid of our Club RIB a few years ago when it became a money pit and wasn't getting much use. Younger members weren't interested in towing the RIB, only using it so all the load of towing and looking after it fell on a few of us. I used to tow the RIB all over the country and found that I was just being taken advantage of. I would be up at the crack of dawn or before to get the RIB down to the dive site and get everything ready and the others would turn up, dive and push off home leaving my son and me to do all the clearing up. The same happened with the other couple of guys who used to tow it so we based the RIB up in Norfolk to save the 220 mile round trip. By this time, I had given up towing because I developed back problems and long RIB trips were damned painful. However, the last year that we had it, it was only out twice out of eight planned trips due to the weather and with £4K of repairs looming, we decided that it simply wasn't cost effective.

It is a miss not having a boat that we can get access to at short notice but the overhead costs alone were making it unviable. It was costing over £1000 a year in stroage, insurance and maintenance before we even took it out and with twin 85HP engines it was a thirsty beast.

However, it's not just with club boats that the selfishness of many people shows. We had one recently joined club member who complained to me as DO that he was not getting value for money for his club fees because we weren't arranging enough dives of his standard and were concentrating too much on less quailified members. When I suggested that as a DL trainee, he should try organising some trips himself because I was sure that other more experienced divers in the club would join him, he said why should he because that was what he was paying his club fees for - somebody to do all the arranging.

This attitude isn't unique to our club. I was talking to a DO of another club and he was saying that they have the same problem with many members wanting to take from the club without being prepared to put anything back. Not a new problem though but it does appear to be becoming more prevalent. I think we are becoming a very selfish society.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

We are probably ok with our bigger ‘cars’ (Volvo XCs and the like), plus loads of old farts* to drive them. But it’s a good call to check exact towing capacities and package weights.

I’d been looking at the XS Ribs website so far, and had thus based my initial figure on £15k to £17k for the Rib, £3k for a trailer, say £12k for an outboard, with the residue to cover all the bits you forget on the first pass (instruments, A-Frame, *ladder, etc). I had assumed a four-stoke – are two-strokes even still allowed?

I saw recently elsewhere that even a 5.35m Ribcraft package was going to exceed £36k.

The club currently has a 5.5m (ish) Humber, plus occasionally we use an old member-owned Ribcraft 5.45m. We can probably thus choose the type of Rib ok, but none of us have any recent experience of the best ways of achieving a cost-effective package. Point duly noted on the ex-demo possibilities.

I was really just hoping for some recent real-world buying experiences to take into a committee meeting. I expect we’ll realise that we need to de-scope our ambitions!

Established TDF Member Doomanic's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've just taken a look at that XS Ribs webshite. Doing my best to ignore the disturbingly '90's layout, I had a look at the turnkey price for an XS 700; over £61K Fuck. Me. Sideways! And how the fuck is an outboard motor £15K???
    https://www.xs-ribs.co.uk/app/downlo...00+Coded+Q.pdf
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Seriously, forget about sidemount - it's bollocks.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    It's not so much the towing that's the issue as a RIB is relatively light and easy to tow. It's launching the thing that usually knackers the tow car. Also you will only have pre 1997 old farts towing it unless they take their B&E test (about £500). We specifically bought a 5.3m RIB as with the engine, it was towable by even the Fiat Punto of Dreams by a uni student. Both of our boats have spanking new Evinrude 90hp 2 strokes on them which are stunning engines, have tonnes of low down grunt, will shove 6 divers + kit + cox'n easily and aren't daft heavy like a 4 stroke. Oh and they are clean as anything as if you take the lid off, it's mostly computers. I think they may have binned making outboards though which is a crying shame.

We found that it's not so much the length, but the shape of the boat that makes the big difference. A well designed 5.5 will have more room than a badly designed 6m. Ideally:
    - broad hull so you can kit divers up round the bottle rack
    - console well forward so it doesn't chew up payload space
    - deep vee and high bow for shite weather

Yes a shallower vee and narrower hull will be faster, but view it far more as a workboat than a speed boat. We have a Tornado that's lovely to drive but rubbish to kit up on, and another boat of unknown make that is rubbish to drive but brilliant for kitting up. Some sort of happy medium would be better!

Humber often have ex-demo boats for sale-they're worth a look. I wouldn't get another Tornado as they have a weird tube material that is a bugger to mend. We ended up having ours retubed by Humber.
    I don't think any of the mainstream makers now make 2-stroke outboards except for Tohatsu (which isn't a bad manufacturer) but then only in relatively teeny sizes so you would have to go for twin 50s or something which is probably limiting (big 2-stroke enduro motors now being verboten in most markets). Against that, modern 4-strokes are much lighter than old ones.

35k sounds like about the right ball-park for a 5.5m-ish single-engine RHIB including electronics, steering etc - probably about 750kg all-up, including engine but without the trailer

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Our experience Thurrock club.

We have 2 aging ribs.
    5.0 Humber Assault 60 Hp Yamaha 2 stroke. Single axle unbraked trailer. Easy to tow. Probably legal for younger drivers. Instruments salvaged from refitting the other rib.

5.8 Humber Destroyer 115 Evinrude 2 stroke. Single axle braked trailer. New axle recently replaced. Instruments recently replaced.

Both are stored in members gardens foc.

They look ok for another year, both have survived the lockdown.

Many advantages in keeping the size as low as poss. Trailer maintenance is seen as a major issue. We avoided brakes on the small outfit and avoided twin axles on the larger.

We could have have bought one very big outfit for the same money but deliberately went with this strategy to make them more accessable.
    Last edited by DaveBarber; 25-05-2021 at 07:08 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Something I have never understood. I'm sure someone will make it clearer.

Whats an A frame for? Why is it essential?

Main purpose as far as I can see is to take money out of your wallet!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast