Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

gag strap/retainer strap and necklaced bailout

I've been trying out a draeger mouthpiece retaining strap and it is definitely more comfortable than holding my DSV in my mouth, I'm having a little aggro with bailout though...any thoughts on making this easier?

What I do now:
    Diving sidemount with 'dilout' on left and another bailout/whatever cylinder on right.
    DSV (no BOV) in mouth, primary bailout reg on a bungee necklace under my chin, secondary bailout on snoopy loop on the other cylinder.

Bailing out is okay: pull the DSV firmly away from face (after closing it!) then bring necklace reg up into mouth, breathe. Putting the DSV away under my chin is a bit of a faff as I have to pull it side to side as it goes down to avoid the strap catching on the reg that's in my mouth. At this point the strap from the DSV is still up around my head (I don't really want to just slide it down as often I'll be in overhead and wearing a helmet, which would complicate putting the strap back).

From bailout back to DSV is a pain and invariably ends up with a decent slug of water in my mask: remove reg from mouth, bring DSV up over the reg into mouth...at this point the strap has knocked my mask and I have at best a mask that's a quarter full of water.

Am I just crap? If so, please enlighten me as to the way of uncrappedness
    Perhaps I could take more time and find a way to loosen the strap first when switching back from bailout reg to DSV...it all seems a lot of faff and loosening the strap isn't trivial as you have to find the right tabs to pull on (hard enough in gloves, let along dry gloves when the tabs are so close to your face that you can't see them).
    I'm diving a Triton fwiw

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    This is one reason I hate the thought of gag straps - it’s much more likely to take loop out than it is to need it kept in (and even that is pointless if you’re not diving in a team). Military I get it - recreational = solution looking for a problem

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...l=1#post463396

One or two divers posted on what they do with gag strap and bail out . Most are using a bov tho .

Maybe of help . Some pros and cons to consider
    Last edited by gobfish1; 22-05-2021 at 08:30 AM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I prefer a BOV to a necklaced bale out reg. I suffered hypercapnia and my coordination was so screwed I could not get my reg in my mouth. Being able to twist and go to OC would have been so much easier.

Prior to the incident I had continually practiced swapping from CC to OC I never thought it would be a problem until I needed to bale for real. Not having a reg in my mouth and having nothing to breath became a serious issue.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MinimalMayhem View Post
    I've been trying out a draeger mouthpiece retaining strap and it is definitely more comfortable than holding my DSV in my mouth, I'm having a little aggro with bailout though...any thoughts on making this easier?

What I do now:
    Diving sidemount with 'dilout' on left and another bailout/whatever cylinder on right.
    DSV (no BOV) in mouth, primary bailout reg on a bungee necklace under my chin, secondary bailout on snoopy loop on the other cylinder.

Bailing out is okay: pull the DSV firmly away from face (after closing it!) then bring necklace reg up into mouth, breathe. Putting the DSV away under my chin is a bit of a faff as I have to pull it side to side as it goes down to avoid the strap catching on the reg that's in my mouth. At this point the strap from the DSV is still up around my head (I don't really want to just slide it down as often I'll be in overhead and wearing a helmet, which would complicate putting the strap back).

From bailout back to DSV is a pain and invariably ends up with a decent slug of water in my mask: remove reg from mouth, bring DSV up over the reg into mouth...at this point the strap has knocked my mask and I have at best a mask that's a quarter full of water.

Am I just crap? If so, please enlighten me as to the way of uncrappedness
    Perhaps I could take more time and find a way to loosen the strap first when switching back from bailout reg to DSV...it all seems a lot of faff and loosening the strap isn't trivial as you have to find the right tabs to pull on (hard enough in gloves, let along dry gloves when the tabs are so close to your face that you can't see them).
    I'm diving a Triton fwiw
    My setup... BOV on a gag, and I also have another second stage on the bailout. The other day I was practising bailing out and swapping to the second stage on the bailout tin. I found the BOV would sit nicely under my chin out the way and wouldn't interfere with the second stage in my gob. It sounds like you probably need to ditch the necklaced bailout reg and just have that second stage secured on the bailout tin.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Jas, BOV all the way for me, but u know that already!

If I were you though, I'd stick the 2nd on a breakaway or in a bungee loop on the shoulder d, so you can drag the dsv down and then access the 2nd from your d ring, and go over the top of it

Or use a CDG style necklace, that gives your 2nd stage more movement.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by JonG View Post
    Jas, BOV all the way for me, but u know that already!

If I were you though, I'd stick the 2nd on a breakaway or in a bungee loop on the shoulder d, so you can drag the dsv down and then access the 2nd from your d ring, and go over the top of it

Or use a CDG style necklace, that gives your 2nd stage more movement.
    Good point. Iíve got one of those necklaces in the shed. That might just work and be transferable to oc diving too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk