Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 21 to 26 of 26
  1. #21
    Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Penwortham
    Posts
    1,934
    Likes (Given)
    1776
    Likes (Received)
    600
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    If it ever stops raining and blowing a gale UK diving might have a good year this year (if the halfwit government stop people flying all round the planet)
    I certainly hope so. Booked for Eyemouth this weekend.

  2. #22
    TDF Member uncertainplume's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    302
    Likes (Given)
    22
    Likes (Received)
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by Barrygoss View Post
    I used to do a weekend technical diving a month during the summer, then I looked at the cost and it was easily 400 a weekend including food/booze/accommodation. So I joined a local club with its own Ribs. We do Weymouth twice a month for the weekend and the club costs me 10 a month. the weekends cost about 30 for the diving, 30 for the tent pitch and 30 on booze/food as we BBQ. The rib is stored all summer at Ferrybridge. It's a lot more work and effort, but also we dive what we want to. too many clubs ditched their ribs as they were seen as too much hard work. We've put a ladder on ours to make getting in the boat simpler and more inclusive to those with chest obstructions who disliked the hauling themselves over the tubes.

    B
    Hello BarryGoss, my club is looking at different options in terms of boat storage and I was wondering how much you are being charged at FerryBridge?

  3. #23
    Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Diving
    Posts
    3,205
    Likes (Given)
    1050
    Likes (Received)
    1939
    Quote Originally Posted by uncertainplume View Post
    Hello BarryGoss, my club is looking at different options in terms of boat storage and I was wondering how much you are being charged at FerryBridge?
    i think it works out at about 100 a month, 25 to launch and recover. (George just hooks you up on your trailer with everyone on the boat and sticks you in the water, when it's time to recover he's normally waiting with your trailer in the water)

    B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.

  4. #24
    Established TDF Member MikeF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Darkest Aberdeenshire
    Posts
    3,957
    Likes (Given)
    210
    Likes (Received)
    2890
    who knows dive club RIB's may make a come back. yes there's a bit of work involved in running a club and maintaining boats but I really don't understand the appeal of a dive club with no boat.

    our club fees are stupidly low (less than the cost of a pint / week and still some whinge) for which I get access to two well specced RIBs, a compressor, dive buddies and boat diving for around 20-30 a day based on fuel burnt. We dive where we want, when we want, and if it's blown out so what, we dive another day. what's not to like?

  5. #25
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Bedfordshire
    Posts
    3,425
    Likes (Given)
    936
    Likes (Received)
    1622
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    who knows dive club RIB's may make a come back. yes there's a bit of work involved in running a club and maintaining boats but I really don't understand the appeal of a dive club with no boat.

    our club fees are stupidly low (less than the cost of a pint / week and still some whinge) for which I get access to two well specced RIBs, a compressor, dive buddies and boat diving for around 20-30 a day based on fuel burnt. We dive where we want, when we want, and if it's blown out so what, we dive another day. what's not to like?
    That's great if you live by the coast but when you are as far from the sea as we are, running a RIB is much more problematical. You either leave it in one location and incur high storage costs and difficulties in maintaining it or you have to have a group of members willing to tow it. With younger members needing an additional licence for towing, it proved very difficult to find enough people to to tow it and after I gave up RIB diving due to back problems (long RIB rides played havoc with it) there were only two left and both have since given up diving to to health issues.

    Yes, it is a miss not having the flexibilty of a RIB but it became impractical and there was no way we could justify the cost.

  6. #26
    Established TDF Member Barrygoss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    Diving
    Posts
    3,205
    Likes (Given)
    1050
    Likes (Received)
    1939
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    That's great if you live by the coast but when you are as far from the sea as we are, running a RIB is much more problematical. You either leave it in one location and incur high storage costs and difficulties in maintaining it or you have to have a group of members willing to tow it. With younger members needing an additional licence for towing, it proved very difficult to find enough people to to tow it and after I gave up RIB diving due to back problems (long RIB rides played havoc with it) there were only two left and both have since given up diving to to health issues.

    Yes, it is a miss not having the flexibilty of a RIB but it became impractical and there was no way we could justify the cost.
    that's why we keep our rib on the coast for 6 months a year. we decide at the end of the season where it will be stored next year. so far it's been plymouth and weymouth (10 years now in weymouth) yes it costs to store, but saves on paying for towing. you justify the cost however the committee decides. we wanted to make diving cheaper and easier for everyone in the club to access. weyouth has about the right travel distance from northampton to make it an easy weekender if you don't finish till 5pm whilst still giving lots of options for diving. we also keep a second rib in northampton incase people want to do something else. year before last we actually had both ribs out of weymouth on weekends. one doing deeper trips (M2 etc) the other doing shallower.

    yes it's more effort but we've found if the trainees start on the ribs, that's the new normal. they can get lazy on hardboats when they're qualified

    B
    Rebreathers are like women; they pretend to love you, whilst taking all your money and trying to kill you.


 
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •