Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question How would you quietly try to find out about divers being run over by boat gear?

During a rather fun thread on FB about crab fishers and divers, two East Anglian fishermen had a good chuckle about one of them deliberately towing his 'gear' through a group of divers and the owner of the other boat being a hero who came in and picked up a diver with a broken finger afterwards, the hilarious thing being the divers having no idea what had happened to them. It's not an incident I've heard about and it may not be recent. The fisherman in question has been on boats between Suffolk and Lincs, but he has named the boat, which will narrow it down. I suppose BSAC accident reports would be a good place to start?
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    During a rather fun thread on FB about crab fishers and divers, two East Anglian fishermen had a good chuckle about one of them deliberately towing his 'gear' through a group of divers and the owner of the other boat being a hero who came in and picked up a diver with a broken finger afterwards, the hilarious thing being the divers having no idea what had happened to them. It's not an incident I've heard about and it may not be recent. The fisherman in question has been on boats between Suffolk and Lincs, but he has named the boat, which will narrow it down. I suppose BSAC accident reports would be a good place to start?
    W. T. F. !

If you have a boat name, google search local rags; might of made the news, that should get you ~20 years worth of records quite readily.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Try emailing the BSAC and asking them if they have any knowledge. safety@bsac.com <safety@bsac.com>;

Graham

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    asking local clubs would be a good start too, if not one of their members, they are likely to have heard about it.

It does sound like internet bravado and hyperbole though
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The Farnes used to be a centre of anti-diver feeling. You didn't dare use a fixed SMB up there otherwise the grockle boats would run it down. I was recovering a diver into the club RIB over the St. Andre on one occasion when a veery large grockle boat (regular Farne divers will know the one I mean) angled his stern to us and opened his throttles full, almost crushing the diver between the RIB and the rocks.

On another occasion, I rescued a small crab boat with three men and a young buoy on board whose engine had broken down. After towing them several miles back to Seahouses with the RIB, there response was to fell us to F** Off saying that divers weren't welcome there!

This all changed when William Shiels turned poacher away fromhis gamekeeper family and started taking divers out.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    After towing them several miles back to Seahouses with the RIB, there response was to fell us to F** Off saying that divers weren't welcome there!
    Almost sounds like salvage

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    This all changed when William Shiels [ ... ] started taking divers out.
    It must be hard to find enough experienced skippers to run all those boats.
    Last edited by OrangeHead; 11-05-2021 at 06:21 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    During a rather fun thread on FB about crab fishers and divers, two East Anglian fishermen had a good chuckle about one of them deliberately towing his 'gear' through a group of divers ...
    Personally I would report it to the police as attempted manslaughter, which it seems to me, it is.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That has been done, but it's a bit difficult with no date or location.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I had a scallop dredger try to sweep me up earlier this year, fortunately the RIB helmsman wouldn't be bullied out of the way.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)