X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • simonhi99
    TDF Member
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by Nickpicks
    So how do we find out the ring compound and shore hardness?
    How about this? https://www.dropbox.com/s/9z6kxtz4ck...sions.pdf?dl=0
    Simon

Comment

• iain/hsm
      Banned
      • Jun 2014

Originally posted by simonhi99
      Thank you, Great post.

Albeit making parts up from scratch is a harder way around than just buying rings in together with a spares kit.
      But as we cant buy kits in the UK I may have to conceed that we may be forced down a path in the UK of a plan B alternative.

That said Plan B should IMHO be of a greater detail, fully understood and transparent, and superior in every way to the original OEM component or at the very least equivalent.

So this leads to the one outstanding question that needs explaining regarding the EPDM material choice used by Apeks Marine.

Why is it that EPDM is pretty much only used by Apeks Marine (and Aqualung) with most others using the more conventional qualified tested and approved DuPont Viton material compound A/B. Later we may have to discuss on the other post the advantage of the silicone used in the LP seats and the polymer used in the HP seats and the avantage of compound PU ***

The answer is to do with the French. But for now on this thread its O-rings.

To my mind the next step would be to verify the information, EPDM 80 shore is only part of what you need to know
      The material options for EPDM are both the curing method optiond as well as shore hardness.

With metal its a lot easier I can zap any metal part with a hand held PMI "gun" and get a reading of the exact material used.
      With rubbers I dont have these type of compounds in the memory so the old ASME methods would be required.
      It also helps to have a genuine spares kit to test LOL

It helps that Apex Marine dont go into the compounds that deep and use what France "advises" so making it easier to decide by known knowedge and experience renforced by subsequent testing for verification.
      Last edited by iain/hsm; 10-05-2021, 09:31 AM.

Comment

• jamesp
        Established TDF Member
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by iain/hsm
        Thank you, Great post.

Albeit making parts up from scratch is a harder way around than just buying rings in together with a spares kit.
        But as we cant buy kits in the UK I may have to conceed that we may be forced down a path in the UK of a plan B alternative.

That said Plan B should IMHO be of a greater detail, fully understood and transparent, and superior in every way to the original OEM component or at the very least equivalent.

So this leads to the one outstanding question that needs explaining regarding the EPDM material choice used by Apeks Marine.

Why is it that EPDM is pretty much only used by Apeks Marine (and Aqualung) with most others using the more conventional qualified tested and approved DuPont Viton material compound A/B. Later we may have to discuss on the other post the advantage of the silicone used in the LP seats and the polymer used in the HP seats and the avantage of compound PU ***

The answer is to do with the French. But for now on this thread its O-rings.

To my mind the next step would be to verify the information, EPDM 80 shore is only part of what you need to know
        The material options for EPDM are both the curing method optiond as well as shore hardness.

With metal its a lot easier I can zap any metal part with a hand held PMI "gun" and get a reading of the exact material used.
        With rubbers I dont have these type of compounds in the memory so the old ASME methods would be required.
        It also helps to have a genuine spares kit to test LOL

It helps that Apex Marine dont go into the compounds that deep and use what France "advises" so making it easier to decide by known knowedge and experience renforced by subsequent testing for verification.

Knock yourself out (please).

You could try these guys as well, I can give you Dr Heywoods direct line if you want, the stainless pot in the development section photograph, is one of mine I think.

Comment

• iain/hsm
          Banned
          • Jun 2014

Originally posted by jamesp
          Or I could simply tell you where in the UK Apek Marine buy them from themselves. But for principle against doing that.

That would be another way of making sure we had the correct item. At least they could'nt claim counterfeit. But for transparancy.

But learning for yourself and making desisions for the repair and maintenance of your own property is
          I still feel best served by having a full and deep understanding of the principles at play.

Another alternative could be that they get more of my posts removed that they dont like, as the last post made about that unfortunate YouTube video

But of course simply making the kits available to divers who want them would simply solve the problem and be a tad easier all round.

For an alternative consideration:

Maybe I should PMI the whole Apex marine caboodle, You or I could reverse engineer the vectors, Keep the Welsh happy by using my mates in Wales than yours for the compounds as mine are less Mil-Spec so we could then claim some green credibility to the public.

Kiss and make up with Miflex for the hose. (maybe not) Rope in Ian and Stan for the ANSTI stuff and make our own Dive Forum self build self assembly regulator. Crowd fund the thing of course as I dont have a bucket to pee in according to some fine upstanding members of this forum and dive industry professional.

Or maybe just maybe Apeks Marine would simply reconsider to sell spares kits to divers direct in the UK retail.

I guess its a choice. Spares kits to the unwashed or a copy of that video goes to Carros. Choose wisely. Nah just kidding LOL
          Last edited by iain/hsm; 11-05-2021, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Working...