Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Just dont tell Chris about all those minke whales that have died because of the miriad of UK wind farms we have.
    I agree, don't tell him. But you can tell me, as I'm very interested by this.

Any references? I need to go figure.
    Happy to be a feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Edward3c View Post
    When I did my OU studies we had a project to provide the U.K.’s electricity supply to 2050.

When taking the development, building, running, and decommissioning plus health costs into account nuclear was the best option. Wind turbines were as bad for our health as coal stations. Because of the mining, refinement, manufacturing and disposal of the materials. They appear ‘clean’ but there are more deaths in the wind farm industry (nearly matching coal) than in nuclear.
    I am sorry I don't believe that. There are few deaths due to nuclear as it has a very high safety record but most of the world's plant has yet to be decommissioned and the cost of decommissioning is beyond astronomical. The industry routinely lies and obfuscates the data to pretend it is not what it is - the most expensive energy ever invented in the history of humanity.

Was this a study undertaken some time ago? That may explain some of it. Wind in particular has improved greatly in the last 20 years or so. It (wind) is not perfect due to the rare earth materials and as you say the mining and other environmental impacts of that mining. I am highly sceptical nevertheless it is anywhere near as bad as coal which has killed and disabled many millions of people worldwide in it's mining operations.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Any references? I need to go figure.
    Matthew 12:38–41
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I am glad I opened up one of my fireplaces recently, I don't have to be so reliant on gas and electricity. Perhaps it is time to dig out all my old oil lamps.
    What's the name of those big fish things that you can get oil from? Must be more sustainable than drilling for the stuff.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Sums up nuclear power in a phrase.

It was an interesting experiment (and of course a prerequisite for the bomb) but it's time has gone. It is far, far, far, far too expensive even without all the other arguments.
    I think you may be right for the big nuclear plants. They are huge national level investments. Hinckley C is only 2 reactors but provides 10% of the U.K. base load. It’s just so big and slow to develop and we’ve left the nuclear skills game for 25years.

Modular nuclear may yet provide a good solution. Submarine size reactors will comfortably supply small cities for decades. You could fit one in a building the size of a church and the waste heat would be a huge help in heating homes and dispensing with gas.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What a good use for all those unused churches. Those that need it should be used to religion by Zoom by now!
    Or alternately a warm church, what an unusual idea!
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    What a good use for all those unused churches. Those that need it should be used to religion by Zoom by now!
    Or alternately a warm church, what an unusual idea!
    A huge outdoor swimming pool heated to 30deg in every town would change a few minds I'm sure.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did hear that the French nuclear industry gave free electricity to domestic consumers on a line of sight to a reactor. Don't know how true it is but if so must have helped French reacceptance of nuclear no end! Maybe 60s.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Digger View Post
    I did hear that the French nuclear industry gave free electricity to domestic consumers on a line of sight to a reactor. Don't know how true it is but if so must have helped French reacceptance of nuclear no end! Maybe 60s.
    Strictly speaking, those in line of sight were being bombarded by nuclear particles, but, hey, it's still energy.....
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post

Modular nuclear may yet provide a good solution. Submarine size reactors will comfortably supply small cities for decades. You could fit one in a building the size of a church and the waste heat would be a huge help in heating homes and dispensing with gas.
    And we've got the experience and expertise to build them ourselves. Factory built and shipped to site. Makes a lot more sense than huge multi-billion pound monsters taking goodness knows how many years to build.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast