Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cylinder testing

Another stupid question if you’d be so kind. I bought a twin set recently out of test, how do I know if it needs a visual or hydro test? The Kent diving sticker on it has December 20 punched out
    Not the dodgy one, the nice one

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Look on the shoulders for the last Hydro test stamp (or the manufacturing date if there aren't any stamps). The stamp is usually in a bit where the paint has been ground off, numbers stamped into the metal, then painted over with silver paint. Hydros will just have a date, a visual test will have a date and "V".
    It needs a Hydro test every 5 years, and a visual inspection 2.5 years after the hydro.

As the sticker says Dec 20, then the last test would have been in July 2018.
    If that was a hydro (stamped "18/07"), then it needs a visual now, but will need another hydro in July 2023 (so effectively your visual test will only last for 2 years)
    If the last test was a visual (stamped "18/07V"), it'll need a hydro now.
    Last edited by Nickpicks; 22-04-2021 at 02:37 PM.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Look on the shoulders for the last Hydro test stamp (or the manufacturing date if there aren't any stamps). The stamp is usually in a bit where the paint has been ground off, numbers stamped into the metal, then painted over with silver paint. Hydros will just have a date, a visual test will have a date and "V".
    It needs a Hydro test every 5 years, and a visual inspection 2.5 years after the hydro.

If that was a hydro (stamped "18/07"), then it needs a visual now, but will need another hydro in July 2023 (so effectively your visual test will only last for 2 years)
    Thank you, its stamped 18v so its due the hydro, much appreciated
    Not the dodgy one, the nice one

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They haven't had a V in them for a while now and recently IDEST changed to a sticker only for a visual. Yes I know, bonkers. Quite a few places have stuck 2 fingers up at that and are still stamping visuals (and IMHO quite rightly so).

Apart from that, the above is fine.

https://www.sita.org.uk/idest/uploads/T4%20v3.pdf
    https://www.sita.org.uk/idest/uploads/T15.pdf
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If your ever in doubt get a hydro. The difference in cost is marginal £40 to £48, what I paid last year.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Interestingly, you don't legally need a hydro until 10 years. And if you are using your cylinder solely for personal use, you don't legally need it testing at all. There is a specific exemption in the ADP regulations.
    However best of luck getting it filled as then it comes under H&S@W regulations where the fill station needs a safe method of working and it would be a very brave place to say they know better than the ISO standard!

Of course you would have to be bonkers to not get your cylinders tested. The current 2.5/5 as laid out in the testing standard is perfectly sensible.

Double extra interesting is that the 10 year test needs to be done by a centre controlled under the Secretary of State (who delegates this to UKAS). IDEST inspected places are, but can ONLY test cylinders for breathing apparatus (so no airgun cylinders) and only if they employ 3 or fewer testing staff. More than this they need to be direct under UKAS. For the intermediate 5 year hydro and 2.5 year visuals, the standard requires a competent person.
    Last edited by Woz; 22-04-2021 at 03:56 PM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Woz View Post
    They haven't had a V in them for a while now and recently IDEST changed to a sticker only for a visual. Yes I know, bonkers. Quite a few places have stuck 2 fingers up at that and are still stamping visuals (and IMHO quite rightly so).

Apart from that, the above is fine.

https://www.sita.org.uk/idest/uploads/T4%20v3.pdf
    https://www.sita.org.uk/idest/uploads/T15.pdf
    Yep, but I figured that in 2018, they'd still have a V
    (my single does from its visual in 2019, but the twins only got a sticker in 2020)

If they're not stamping V for visuals, how does the next tester know if it needs a Hydro or a visual?
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Yep, but I figured that in 2018, they'd still have a V
    (my single does from its visual in 2019, but the twins only got a sticker in 2020)

If they're not stamping V for visuals, how does the next tester know if it needs a Hydro or a visual?
    The IDEST label now has a V or H punched into it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    The IDEST label now has a V or H punched into it.
    My labels usually fall off pretty quickly, especially on CCR cylinders as they tend to take a bit of a rougher ride
    Remember anything you read on the internet was probably written by some guy sitting at home in his underpants! Including this !!

Illegitimi non carborundum

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    That's an issue I've raised before. One of the guys in our club had his cylinder turned down for filling by Gildensludge because the label was damaged. It had been placed low down on the shoulder and was damaged aginst a rock. Woz was taking this up with IDEST and getting them to issue a requirement that the label should be placed just underneath the pillar valve in front of the outlet where it is protected by the DV first stage. Perhaps Woz can comment whether this instruction was issued?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast