Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another radiator question.

I am replacing some central heating radiators and, of course, the pipes don't quite match up.
    My question, can I fit flexible pipes to radiators? There seems to be mixed ideas on t'internet so I thought I would ask on here as I know TDF if packed with experts on all subjects.
    TIA.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I don't know about flexible pipes but Screwfix do metal adaptors which can adjust between the old imperial length radiators and the current standard metric ones. I' ve used them on several replacements I've done.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    I don't know about flexible pipes but Screwfix do metal adaptors which can adjust between the old imperial length radiators and the current standard metric ones. I' ve used them on several replacements I've done.
    Plus 1

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Do you mean like this?
    (in an AirBnB I stayed in a few years ago)

My plumber mate said it's not ideal because the rubber in the hoses isn't compatible with the chemicals used in the heating system.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    It's all metric. It's the positioning that is wrong.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    Do you mean like this?
    (in an AirBnB I stayed in a few years ago)

My plumber mate said it's not ideal because the rubber in the hoses isn't compatible with the chemicals used in the heating system.
    Well, I was hoping it would be a bit neater than this! I have also been told that the chemicals will rot the rubber so I am biting the bullet and drilling a new hole in the wall.
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    Paul.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    Well, I was hoping it would be a bit neater than this! I have also been told that the chemicals will rot the rubber so I am biting the bullet and drilling a new hole in the wall.
    Thanks for the input everyone.
    I think that is the best solution long term. I certainly wouldn't trust the liner in the flexi hose long term with the chemical treatments that should be in your system.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    For the benefit of anyone else who might need to do something similar, the adaptors that Screwfix sell can be cut to the required length. They come in diffeent sizes such as

https://www.screwfix.com/p/tesla-bsp...ce-100mm/599hf

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Flexible is a bodge.

The extensions linked above that use a brass olive compression are ok.

The extensions that use a o-ring and can be adjusted in and out under pressure are rubbish.

Moving the pipes is the best idea.

Don't use push-fit fittings on chromed pipe. It rots and blows off eventually. Compression is fine.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    Don't use push-fit fittings on chromed pipe. It rots and blows off eventually. Compression is fine.
    I thought they blew off of chromed pipe because the chrome plate is too hard for the teeth to bite into?
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.