Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post

Am I doing something wrong then?
    Dunno. They look like car fuses to me
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    Edit : actually this isn't exactly what I thought.

They are clip-in MCB's. Not sure how the terminal on the bottom the mains RCD works? Seems a bit of an odd design if you can't actually tighten up a terminal for something that could be taking 80A.

Fires like these are one of the reasons why new domestic consumer units (18th edition) are made of metal and have fire-sealed glands on all the cable entries.
    I am seriously thinking about changing the consumer unit but will wait until I see the EICR before I pass judgement on it. The entire busbar has been replaced now (albeit with the same style) and the damaged RCCB/MCB changed but I might change the unit going forward for peace of mind.

It certainly has been a bit of a wake up call.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post
    I am seriously thinking about changing the consumer unit but will wait until I see the EICR before I pass judgement on it. The entire busbar has been replaced now (albeit with the same style) and the damaged RCCB/MCB changed but I might change the unit going forward for peace of mind.

It certainly has been a bit of a wake up call.
    Talk to your sparky. If the wiring is relatively modern and has no shared neutrals, I'd think about swapping the board to RCBOs (individual RCD for each circuit). Much easier to fault-find if you have any problems in the future. The cost of the board is more, but the labour will be the same as a normal split-load board change. By default, it forces the electrician to find and remove any accidental shared neutrals on your existing circuits too.

If they need to re-arrange the meter cupboard or mains tails, consider how you would add car charging (or even solar) in the future. Keep enough space for any kit you may need for that.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Talk to your sparky. If the wiring is relatively modern and has no shared neutrals, I'd think about swapping the board to RCBOs (individual RCD for each circuit). Much easier to fault-find if you have any problems in the future. The cost of the board is more, but the labour will be the same as a normal split-load board change. By default, it forces the electrician to find and remove any accidental shared neutrals on your existing circuits too.

If they need to re-arrange the meter cupboard or mains tails, consider how you would add car charging (or even solar) in the future. Keep enough space for any kit you may need for that.
    This,
    My board is maxed out, not even room for a feed for the shed.
    Also due to the wonderful forward thinking of the prick we bought the place off, when they converted the garage they boxed off the consumer unit in the smallest possible space in the wall.
    So replacement is a major hack out job.

My old gaff, I had the consumer unit replaced from the original hard wire fuses from `72 when I was going to rent it in 2013.
    Then two years later I had to change it again, as they now required a steel cabinet on the unit not plastic, and it would fail the landlord inspection.
    Two years, the hard wire fuse box lasted forty; and did not pop everytime you bought a new kettle or toaster.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for the advice. The wiring is relatively new so I will bear that in mind should I go for the new board.

I think if I was changing the board I would certainly make sure it had slots for at least one or two new circuits. There is plenty of space on the backboard so that will not be an issue.

I might look at car charging in the future (once the range gets better) but I seriously doubt we will ever get solar - at best the payback is sketchy (total net benefit of 505 over 25 years based on the Energy Savings Trust calculator). Combination of a hipped roof and location make the potential payback miniscule.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Just had a spark in to quote on fixed installation testing for work, they want longer to inspect the place, than it took to install and test initially.

Why is my "bend over and squeal little piggy" alarm going off?
    They want three days for one unit, and at least that for the other; job creation scheme or what?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    Just had a spark in to quote on fixed installation testing for work, they want longer to inspect the place, than it took to install and test initially.

Why is my "bend over and squeal little piggy" alarm going off?
    They want three days for one unit, and at least that for the other; job creation scheme or what?
    Maybe it is but at the same time the inspector will be signing a legal document and putting his name to others work.

Would you sign off somebodies work without totally being happy with it, especially if it then failed, you go to jail?

Just saying

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12