Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How To Attach Bolt Snaps with HAIR TIES | Easy Scuba Fixes

The traditional way of attaching Bolt Snaps to your Scuba gear is by using a cave line (the lines in the spool used by advanced and technical divers). This is good but an alternative and faster way is by using elastic Hair Ties - the Goody (TM) kind. Hereís a short video on how itís done. Another Easy Scuba Fix from GoDivePH.

I hope this was helpful. Thumbs if you like the video, Subs if it was helpful and Click the Bell to get notified when I release new videos like this.

Cheers...

https://youtu.be/o4kI03iEHs4

TDF Member
    a city about as far form the sea as you can get in the UK
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is no way I would trust that on a dive light, one of the packets even mentioned they are biodegradable.
    I can see doing it in an emergency for one dive or so, but they will end up with losing elasticity and probably snapping.

Owner and Lead Instructor at Underworld Lanny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Nope! This solution is not as robust as cave line, and I suspect will migrate down the hose like the commercially available elastic clips do.

The other poor technique shown in the video is leaving a fist-sized gap between the regulator and the clip. This leads to the second stage dangling too low and getting caught in line when clipped off. The clip should be as close to the regulator as possible, whilst still allowing comfortable clipping off. If your cave line moves down the hose, you can prevent this with a cable tie (just to prevent the knot moving - not attaching the clip with a cable tie, which is very prone to failure).
    Lanny
    Living the dream in the Mexican Caves
    http://www.underworldtulum.com
    http://www.cavecamp.com

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post
    Nope! This solution is not as robust as cave line, and I suspect will migrate down the hose like the commercially available elastic clips do.

The other poor technique shown in the video is leaving a fist-sized gap between the regulator and the clip. This leads to the second stage dangling too low and getting caught in line when clipped off. The clip should be as close to the regulator as possible, whilst still allowing comfortable clipping off. If your cave line moves down the hose, you can prevent this with a cable tie (just to prevent the knot moving - not attaching the clip with a cable tie, which is very prone to failure).
    Lanny - If your knot's are slipping just pull harder (which should be your tag line "just pull harder" )

And sorry Macan ... thats a solution looking for a problem and I suspect I could tie cave line quicker
    Last edited by graham_hk; 14-04-2021 at 09:19 AM.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The hair ties I'm familiar with are not a continuous loop of elastic but the ends are glued(?) together in such a way that before very long the fabric wrapper stretches and the thing is an inch longer than before.
    With cave line I know exactly how it's secured, and I'm confident that I can avoid losing boltsnaps and hair ties in the ocean.
    Not to mention that my hair has grown somewhat and I need the ties for a ponytail ;-)

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by OrangeHead View Post
    The hair ties I'm familiar with are not a continuous loop of elastic but the ends are glued(?) together in such a way that before very long the fabric wrapper stretches and the thing is an inch longer than before.
    I think they're just heat sealed together in a butt joint. Butt joints aren't very strong - A lifesaver throwline maker had to recall a whole product line a few years ago when they'd sent out a load with fused joints in the line (one of which parted during a training session).
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Got his Youtube channel out there though, didn't it?
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If nothing else itís a quick fix eg on a boat or between dives, even during a dive -assuming thereís a hair bobble available

Sort it properly later with cave line

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lanny View Post

I was hoping this would be a good use of all the hair ties we no longer use.