Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've been to Shagra umpteen times - even got married underwater there, and Nakari twice. I think for being laid back and good value, both are great but Nakari is much, much quieter.
    Pros of Shagra:
    Fabulous house reef
    Wonderful staff
    Very clean
    You could spend a week just shore diving and do the dives in different ways and see different things each dive. RIB out, RIB back, RIB out, swim back, swim out, RIB back. North and south reef are lovely between 6 and 35 metres.
    Bedouin bar down the beach - lovely and laid back with a very trusting "tab" system if you want to settle up at the end of the week.
    cons:
    It's got very busy (but with Covid is now quieter again!)
    surrounded by hotels that can play noisy disco music at night (but last few trips, they have been very quiet)
    At peak times, kitting up shed can get very crowded (but I expect will be quiet at the mo).

Nakari
    Pros
    Lovely, small, quiet resort , very homely
    reasonable shore diving - not on par with Shagra but still very beautiful underwater and plenty to see
    Nice quiet kitting up shed
    Lovely restaurant and great food plus lovely staff who love to celebrate any birthday, anniversary etc
    very near Dolphin House for a nice day trip
    Lovely and quiet at night if you are in a tent

Cons:
    The prevailing wind seems to blow plastic into the bay. It is, however, satisfying to bring a bag full out at the end of your dive and bin it.
    A wee bit further for the transfer.

I love both and would very happily go back after something like 12 visits so far.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by purple vonny View Post
    I've been to Shagra umpteen times - even got married underwater there, and Nakari twice. I think for being laid back and good value, both are great but Nakari is much, much quieter.
    Pros of Shagra:
    Fabulous house reef
    Wonderful staff
    Very clean
    You could spend a week just shore diving and do the dives in different ways and see different things each dive. RIB out, RIB back, RIB out, swim back, swim out, RIB back. North and south reef are lovely between 6 and 35 metres.
    Bedouin bar down the beach - lovely and laid back with a very trusting "tab" system if you want to settle up at the end of the week.
    cons:
    It's got very busy (but with Covid is now quieter again!)
    surrounded by hotels that can play noisy disco music at night (but last few trips, they have been very quiet)
    At peak times, kitting up shed can get very crowded (but I expect will be quiet at the mo).

Nakari
    Pros
    Lovely, small, quiet resort , very homely
    reasonable shore diving - not on par with Shagra but still very beautiful underwater and plenty to see
    Nice quiet kitting up shed
    Lovely restaurant and great food plus lovely staff who love to celebrate any birthday, anniversary etc
    very near Dolphin House for a nice day trip
    Lovely and quiet at night if you are in a tent

Cons:
    The prevailing wind seems to blow plastic into the bay. It is, however, satisfying to bring a bag full out at the end of your dive and bin it.
    A wee bit further for the transfer.

I love both and would very happily go back after something like 12 visits so far.
    Nice report thanks. Would you consider staying at a hotel in shagra and just dive with Red Sea diving? How was the food at Shagra?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi
    What is you budget and are you all divers?

Lahami Bay Resort is a long way down from Marsa, just north of Berenice. Proper Hotel with comfortable accommodation in blocks of 4 flats spread around, you will probably be the only people in the block of 4. Very quiet, nice house reefs, beach shack with a pile of tanks refreshed and your kit hauled down and back when needed. Hardboat diving on house and Fury shoals / Dolphin Hse if you want, night dives as well, last trip we were found by a Dugong and spent 20 mins interacting with it. Blew my mind. Food is excellent, the Chef will go out of his way to get the kitchen to arrange dishes that you require, but the restaurants are superb. Tea and Cake after the afternoon dive! Always a bonus. Gym, spa, etc etc. We will be going back. Very quite and long way from anywhere.
    Rgds

Also has resident Doctor, which was useful for one of our number.
    Last edited by wibble32; 15-04-2021 at 07:57 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Been to Shagra six or seven times (never got bored of the shore diving). Food was great, never got food poisoning.

Nakari once. Small group who we really didn't get on with. As there were only 12 at the camp they treated us like a club, except we weren't which led to a lot of compromising which really wasn't what we were after.

Lahami - three or four times. Fury Shoals are stunning but mostly for the amazing coral reefs. Don't think I ever saw anything particularly big. 200 Dolphins at Sataya were pretty impressive. Long rib rides and very like a live-a-board. Everyone dives at the same time, with a guide in the morning and unguided in the afternoon. Never had more than 16 at the camp when we were there in 2 big ribs, sometimes it was just the two of us. Food is what gets put in front of you. Good quality but no choice, although they did end up cooking stuff for Rachel as she's a fussy bugger. They wouldn't let you go hungry Very quiet and if there's a big group of non-english speakers it can be a bit lonely.

Like a real diver but smaller apparently purple vonny's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Nice report thanks. Would you consider staying at a hotel in shagra and just dive with Red Sea diving? How was the food at Shagra?
    Whoops, not logged on on for a while. I would just stay at Shagra. I don't know how to do hotels any more! Food is fab, varied and buffet style. And you can make requests if there's anything you specifically want.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12