Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15
  1. #1
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    1,964
    Likes (Given)
    297
    Likes (Received)
    192

    Red Sea diving safari where to stay for the diving?

    Hi, Has anyone stayed/dived with Red Sea diving safari? If so, where did you stay - Marsa Shagra, Marsa Nakari or Wadi Lahami? Does the diving differ between resorts? How was the resort?
    https://www.redsea-divingsafari.com/...s/marsa-shagra
    Do you have a preference of which resort to stay and dive?
    Yrs ago I stayed at the Kharmana hotel which is next to one of there resorts and had a great time.

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Deepest Sussex
    Posts
    1,447
    Likes (Given)
    927
    Likes (Received)
    817
    Blog Entries
    2
    Lydia Lodge of Oonasdivers is the expert on all three of those resorts and no I do not work for or with her. Been in contact for many other Red Sea trips though :-)

    Some reports on the area here: https://www.thediveforum.com/showthr...ty-Middle-East

  3. #3
    I still don't have a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    3,149
    Likes (Given)
    1124
    Likes (Received)
    1171
    Have been diving with them for over 20 years. Shagra is the largest site Nakari is smaller and quieter. Both have shore diving, boat diving in the bay and longer excursions. Elphinstone from Shagra and Dolphin reef from Nakari. Both also offer shore dives in other bays Kit is put in crates and everything is transported to the dive site. Lahami is all off shore diving by Rhib AM 2 dives out on the Fury shoal they tend to choose sites that do not have liveaboards on. PM is is a dive just outside the wadi. If the weather is bad then the dives are on the most sheltered reefs just off shore.

    Accommodation at all three sites ranges from simple tents, deluxe tents to stone built "cabins" these come with no en suite, or on suite bathrooms. Air con is available in the most expensive "cabins".

    Sadly a lot of the bays (Marsa) have been bought and developed into hotels many of which are now abandoned.

    Have not been there for about 5 years so things may have changed but when things get back to some normality we will go again. The company also owns it's own recompression facility which is across the road from Shagra.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

    I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

  4. #4
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,273
    Likes (Given)
    5086
    Likes (Received)
    2504
    The website has full 360 degree tours of the villages and details of the accommodation and all the dive sites so that should give you a good overview of what is available at each one. I have been to all 3 and like them for different reasons. I would think about which dive sites you want to be closest to and also whether you want to do shore diving (in which case only Shagra and Nakari offer this) and how many dives a day you want to do. Shagra and Nakari is pretty much unlimited as you can do shore and boat / truck dives, Lahami is 3 boat dives a day typically. Very much depends on what you want out of your trip really in terms of numbers at the resort, size of resort, type of diving you want to do etc.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

  5. #5
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    1,964
    Likes (Given)
    297
    Likes (Received)
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by smileydiver View Post
    The website has full 360 degree tours of the villages and details of the accommodation and all the dive sites so that should give you a good overview of what is available at each one. I have been to all 3 and like them for different reasons. I would think about which dive sites you want to be closest to and also whether you want to do shore diving (in which case only Shagra and Nakari offer this) and how many dives a day you want to do. Shagra and Nakari is pretty much unlimited as you can do shore and boat / truck dives, Lahami is 3 boat dives a day typically. Very much depends on what you want out of your trip really in terms of numbers at the resort, size of resort, type of diving you want to do etc.
    Hi Smiley,
    We would probably do 3 to 4 dives aday, then we like to have a few beers and some decent food (need not be expensive though). I like a resort not too quiet, but with enough people around for the social aspect. Are you limited to eating and drinking at the same place every night? Is it full board? Well, I like big fish mainly but also like to take my time and check out nooks and crannies for smaller stuff too. Bigger stuff Elphinstone only? We are happy shore diving by ourselves just for nice long dives.

  6. #6
    I still don't have a member
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    In my own world
    Posts
    3,149
    Likes (Given)
    1124
    Likes (Received)
    1171
    Shagra would be the place for you as it is quite buzzy. You can get plenty of beer (avoid the wine it is awful). The food has always been very good when we have been there, it is buffet style so you choose what you want it is full board and includes soft drinks. They operate a sign out and in system and unlimited diving. Plenty of bigger stuff around but if you want sharks Elphinstone is always spectacular but you have to pay extra for trips there. As I said in my earlier post things might have changed since we were last there.

    Check it all out here https://www.redsea-divingsafari.com/
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

    I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

  7. #7
    Established TDF Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    cheltenham
    Posts
    1,964
    Likes (Given)
    297
    Likes (Received)
    192
    Quote Originally Posted by cazyoung View Post
    Shagra would be the place for you as it is quite buzzy. You can get plenty of beer (avoid the wine it is awful). The food has always been very good when we have been there, it is buffet style so you choose what you want it is full board and includes soft drinks. They operate a sign out and in system and unlimited diving. Plenty of bigger stuff around but if you want sharks Elphinstone is always spectacular but you have to pay extra for trips there. As I said in my earlier post things might have changed since we were last there.

    Check it all out here https://www.redsea-divingsafari.com/
    Thanks. Would you be able to dive just the house reef at Shagra 4 times a day for a week, or would you become bored without going to the other zones?

  8. #8
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,273
    Likes (Given)
    5086
    Likes (Received)
    2504
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Hi Smiley,
    We would probably do 3 to 4 dives aday, then we like to have a few beers and some decent food (need not be expensive though). I like a resort not too quiet, but with enough people around for the social aspect. Are you limited to eating and drinking at the same place every night? Is it full board? Well, I like big fish mainly but also like to take my time and check out nooks and crannies for smaller stuff too. Bigger stuff Elphinstone only? We are happy shore diving by ourselves just for nice long dives.
    It is full board yes. Marsa Shagra has the biggest restaurant and your all Inc includes everything from the buffets and water and tea and coffee etc. You need to pay for alcoholic drinks and they really only have beer so if you want another tipple best to bring your own from duty free! You eat on site and not much else around. Nakari is similar but smaller scale. When I was at Lahami they just brought food out to you on plates and it wasn't buffet style, they just brought stuff out rather than you ordering specific things from memory. The north and south reefs can be dived a number of ways from shore to shore or by zodiacs a little further out. For a week O would definitely add in some of the paid excursions further afield and do Elphinstone if it is shark season. The house reefs are pretty decent and plenty to see but there are so many sites nearby that it is nice to mix it up if you get the chance.
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

  9. #9
    Not short, just concentrated awesome ;) smileydiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    London
    Posts
    4,273
    Likes (Given)
    5086
    Likes (Received)
    2504
    Marsa Shagra also has a bar / cafe on the beach at extra cost where you can get shisha and different drinks
    The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever - Jacques Cousteau

  10. #10
    Prior Member Tim Digger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    West Midlands UK
    Posts
    4,731
    Likes (Given)
    3314
    Likes (Received)
    3650
    I liked Marsa Shagra when I finally went. Agree with all has been said. I would say that if all you want is a place to sleep and keep your minimal luggage then a deluxe tent is fine except possibly in high summer doing 3-4 dives a day makes air con unnecessary. The system there is very organised. It seems laid back but they are spot on, if you record your out going they will be looking for you when you surface and will pick you up in the RIB very quickly, SMB on safety stop and they will be there more or less when you surface, alternately the beach exit is very easy. It is basically an underwater wadi with three entry points on each side then swim back in so yes after 3 days you will have covered it. Whether that means you are bored is up to you, as a dive photographer I was very happy to do same dive several times. If you like Sakara the bar is fine.
    Evolution is great at solving problems. It's the methods that concern me.
    Tim Digger


 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •