Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries

Where’s Wally?

Wally the walrus has vanished from a Welsh resort town after being ‘harassed’ by tourists. The Atlantic walrus spent more than a week in Tenby, Pembrokeshire, following a whirlwind tour of the British Isles. It’s believed Wally fled the town after becoming ‘obviously disturbed’ by day-tripper visitors vying for a snap of the wild animal,

https://metro.co.uk/2021/04/07/where...=related-posts

Heading for Selsey?

Last edited by Eddie Clamp; 10-04-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hopefully the walrus has moved somewhere more sensible than a place frequented by people. Novel as it may seem, you really do not want this in your bit of coast!

For a while Weymouth was blighted by a young seal which, unsurprisingly, became a focus for attention. It became accustomed to seeing people, and interacting with them. This was a bad progression as it wanted to 'play' with anyone it encountered the water. It felt it reasonable to climb on paddle-board, or try and mount swimmers, or nibble for attention, and became pissed off when people didn't want to play. Whilst some found this a positive experience, some gave up sea swimming, some swam in places it wasn't present, and a few attended hospital due to seal bites ('it was only playing') and mended holes in their wetsuits.

Thankfully the pesky critter moved away.
    Last edited by dwhitlow; 11-04-2021 at 10:28 AM.

Established TDF Member Eddie Clamp's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    We here in Selsey (Seal Island) have had a seal turning op here throughout the years. There have been a number of similar incidents like yours but it/they are usually well treated and respected.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We did a boat trip awhile back, the ones that take out tourists for a few hours.
    Well this day we were tourists so went to see the seals at some nearby rocks.

In the harbour were two juvenile male seals who were huge the skipper likened them
    to teenage thugs. They come every year and he thinks they were released from a seal
    sanctuary because they know the feeding times and also the school holiday dates.

To the hour they turn up on bank holidays, half term and summer holidays. The rest of the year
    they go back to the seal colony. They have learnt and become reliant on the tourists
    and fishermen who fish from the harbour walls.

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We had a seal that lived between Putney & Teddington swimming in the Thames outside our window a month or so ago but it was attacked by some idiots' labrador and had to be put down. They are actually not uncommon in the river - there are loads further down towards the sea and at least one used to scrounge fish from the porters at Billingsgate.

Donkeys years ago when I worked for the CEGB seals at Wylfa used to regularly nick fish off the rotating cooling water intake screens, one misjudged it and got dumped in the CW pumphouse. The operator tried to "encourage it" out and got badly bitten in the process which was the first lost time incident on the site in years! Dangerous things these nuclear power plants.

Established TDF Member Energy58's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post

We did a boat trip awhile back, the ones that take out tourists for a few hours.
    Well this day we were tourists so went to see the seals at some nearby rocks.

In the harbour were two juvenile male seals who were huge the skipper likened them
    to teenage thugs. They come every year and he thinks they were released from a seal
    sanctuary because they know the feeding times and also the school holiday dates.

To the hour they turn up on bank holidays, half term and summer holidays. The rest of the year
    they go back to the seal colony. They have learnt and become reliant on the tourists
    and fishermen who fish from the harbour walls.

taz

I saw a seal at Babbacombe this summer - after diving we had lunch at the hotel and it was mugging the fishermen on the breakwater below. It had several fishing lures caught on it but I couldn't get close enough to get them off.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Energy58 View Post
    I saw a seal at Babbacombe this summer - after diving we had lunch at the hotel and it was mugging the fishermen on the breakwater below. It had several fishing lures caught on it but I couldn't get close enough to get them off.
    Ouch. as a race of people we are quite thick really and are surely doomed but before we go we are going to do as much damage as possible.

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Looks like he has re-appeared in Tenby and is still being disturbed sadly.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/w...abuse-20422424

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56893125
    Last edited by cazyoung; 27-04-2021 at 03:59 PM.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Walrus disturbed

again...
    Happy to be a feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    To be fair they had to shift him as 2 canoeists were in trouble.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-56940239
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast