Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    The litter on the roadsides here is something like the third world countries you see on the telly with pot bellied kids dribbling snot at the cameras. The gammon are upset and the local paper(s) full of somebody (else) should do something. Apparently the normal picking teams are not working due to the lockdown restrictions.
    It is not the fault of the littler picking teams - the fault for litter resides with those that are too lazy/uneducated to retain their rubbish until they get to a proper bin.

I was brought up not to litter and to this day, if I buy something either to eat or use with a disposable wrapper/bag or box, the wrapper/bag/box will remain in my pocket/backpack or car until I either get to a bin (and I will not over fill one if it is likely to blow away) or until I get home.

When you go to a lot of other countries, you will not see people littering in the first place - they have been brought up with more respect for their towns/cities

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'm appalled by the laziness of some people when in comes to littering. It would never occur to me to litter. I always take all of my rubbish home and sort it into the appropriate bin. However, on two occasions when I have challenged somebody about littering, I have been verbally and physically abused - both occasions in the middle of the day with other people just looking on, so I am very wary about doing it these days.

We have one neighbour who is in his late 80's who spends a couple of days every week collecting rubbish around the village and collects at least two black bags of it every week.

Singapore seem to have solved the litter problem - a 500 on the spot fine is an effective deterrent.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by graham_hk View Post
    I truly despair of the muppets who would litter out of a car ..
    Virtually all litter comes from cars - discarded food/drink items and so on. In addition there is the stuff that is blown out of pick up trucks where the rubbish in it is not tied down (handy way to get rid of stuff). The worst of all is the endless fly tipping. When I am a bit low I like to go home via the heath and it seems that every gateway and field entrance or fire gate is the new council tip. After a while it gets taken away and then the next time you drive past something new is there. Usually it is mattresses and building material, old sinks that kind of stuff. Now the weather has improved it will be garden crap - tree cuttings, grass mowings and so on.

The road into our industrial estate is awash with coffee cups and food wrappers. The business improvement people (400 a year on the rates...) have rented a couple of portaloos as people used to shit in the roadside when parked up. Someone took a dump in our (home) road end the other week, there is a little woodland either side but they shat in the road.

Some crimes committed by idiots should result in sterilisation!
    I have a more immediate solution for the present generation. Reminds me, must buy more ammo.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    With regards to fly-tipping, some councils only have themselves to blame because of the extremely high charges they make for disposing of rubbish. Although our local council can be criticised for many things, their waste management policy isn't one of them. We have weekly food waste collections, alternate weekly general waste and recycling plus garden waste collections. There is also a local Tidy Tip which takes larger waste, split into multiple categories and recycles most of what is dumped. There is no charge for using it although only domestic waste can be dumped - no large vehicles or trailers.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    I'm appalled by the laziness of some people when in comes to littering. It would never occur to me to litter. I always take all of my rubbish home and sort it into the appropriate bin. However, on two occasions when I have challenged somebody about littering, I have been verbally and physically abused - both occasions in the middle of the day with other people just looking on, so I am very wary about doing it these days.

We have one neighbour who is in his late 80's who spends a couple of days every week collecting rubbish around the village and collects at least two black bags of it every week.

Singapore seem to have solved the litter problem - a 500 on the spot fine is an effective deterrent.
    The downside of this is more and more people seem to think it's OK to leave litter 'cos someone else will be along to pick it up. Stuff we've had to deal with - picnic and bnq litter piled neatly by a gatepost to a reserve, multiple dog poo bags left on the edge of boundary fences, and worst of all, nappies wedged into the gaps between slats on picnic benches (so they don't blow away), no consideration for the next person who wants to eat at the table.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    With regards to fly-tipping, some councils only have themselves to blame because of the extremely high charges they make for disposing of rubbish. Although our local council can be criticised for many things, their waste management policy isn't one of them. We have weekly food waste collections, alternate weekly general waste and recycling plus garden waste collections. There is also a local Tidy Tip which takes larger waste, split into multiple categories and recycles most of what is dumped. There is no charge for using it although only domestic waste can be dumped - no large vehicles or trailers.
    Unfortunately a lot of this has been caused by governments over the years - instead of providing incentives for businesses to reducing/re-using/recycling waste, they rely on penalties such as tax. Businesses that declare waste are effectively penalised by landfill tax and the paperwork associated with dealing with waste appropriately. Given that or fly tipping (albeit with high fines but an extremely low rate of detection/prosecutions), the choice becomes easy for less reputable people. As with a lot of societal problems (graffiti, tipping, car crimes such as drink driving/mobile phone use etc), a lot of it could be helped by suitable policing - with the currently extremely low police numbers and time taken for prosecutions, the chance of being caught and prosecuted is pretty low.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    Virtually all litter comes from cars - discarded food/drink items and so on. In addition there is the stuff that is blown out of pick up trucks where the rubbish in it is not tied down (handy way to get rid of stuff). The worst of all is the endless fly tipping. When I am a bit low I like to go home via the heath and it seems that every gateway and field entrance or fire gate is the new council tip. After a while it gets taken away and then the next time you drive past something new is there. Usually it is mattresses and building material, old sinks that kind of stuff. Now the weather has improved it will be garden crap - tree cuttings, grass mowings and so on.
    When you see the reports today covering the parks/beaches/open spaces of the residue left behind by all of the "nice people" who have taken the opportunity to get some fresh air in line with the relaxation of lockdown, it really show how selfish a lump of the human race is. I was going to ask if they would do that in their own front garden, but unfortunatelt a lot of them do. Lack of pride - common sense - decency - pick any that apply. Scumbags - shitheads - arseholes - again pick any that apply. Some of the people in this country really do deserve a good dose of Covid. Unfortunately a lot of the people who have been afflicted are the ones who are busting a gut trying to help the hapless. It makes me wonder.

I still don't have a member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I truly despair of the muppets who would litter out of a car . Some crimes committed by idiots should result in sterilisation!
    If only!!

No do not subscribe to Netflix nor will we do so.
    A fully paid up member of the CRAFT Club

I failed to dive in Antartica
    I used to have a handle on life but it broke

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    See what happens when people can't behave when lockdown restrictions are eased? Summer gets turned off!
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast