Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    I think it is a generational thing. I am terrible for saving food in the fridge and freezer, even though I know that most of it will eventually get thrown away.
    That’s what curries / casseroles are for

Anything close to sell by / going off, into the pot. Handful of assorted herbs / spices and job done

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by John63 View Post
    That’s what curries / casseroles are for

Anything close to sell by / going off, into the pot. Handful of assorted herbs / spices and job done
    And then the final portion gets put in the freezer until I come across a freeze burnt lump some months later and bin it.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    And then the final portion gets put in the freezer until I come across a freeze burnt lump some months later and bin it.
    You need a vacuum packer.
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine – French critic and historian (1828-93)

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spirit of Guernsey View Post
    You need a vacuum packer.
    Got one but the cost of the bags has to be taken into consideration when the food being saved only costs a few pence.
    The vacuum is great for bulk stuff, and of course the important stuff like hops, malt and yeast.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    .... sad seeing pallets of food, still in it's packaging and still in date, going into the crushers.
    More grub or we will shoot you....

We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Confused? You will be. Jay_Benson's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Seaspiracy fact checked by the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56660823
    For information to help you plan your dive trip in the UK and Eire try www.planyourdivetrip.co.uk

Public transport planning info at www.traveline.info

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    Seaspiracy fact checked by the BBC:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/56660823
    I have not watched the documentary but, as with a lot of these, the truth more than likely lands somewhere nearer the middle ground than the programme makes out. I suspect that some take issue with it and will fact check the BBC fact check.

Saying that, if people change their mindset due to the programme and it does have a positive effect on the overall problem (however minor), then it is no bad thing.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you want more information on the history and impact of fishing have a read of 'The unnatural history of the sea' by Calum Roberts. printed in 2007 but depressingly nothing has really changed at all.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    It is really difficult to produce good data and when you extrapolate the findings from a small sample to the empiric level you are going to be wrong to an extent. That's just how it is. I have done a lot of data manipulation and forecasting over the years and you have to accept a margin of error. I agree with Neil - the other factors will cause people to over or underestimate and to choose the lower or upper extremes to suit something other than the pursuit of the truth.

There is no doubt that overfishing has destroyed several populations of fish to the point of commercial extinction. North Sea herring for example, as well as the tuna fishery that came with the migrating herring. As a kid I remember the blue shark fishing out of Looe and Trevor Housego in the news. Shark in general were often caught off the UK coastline. Dogfish, notably the Lesser Spotted were a nuisance and snaffled your bait before anything more tasty could get to it. Hardly see one now.

Most people are totally ignorant of how commercial fishing works and the damage it does. Few understand how subsidised it is or how much the industry distorts politics. Anything that reverses that trend is welcome.
    We give £350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Netflix 'documentaries' ... I have watched a few of them including this one, so far all have the central 'journalist' just turning up in the reception of a large firm and asking to speak to the senior management, the impression given is that because the senior management don't walk them straight into the board room and repent of their sins that they are therefore hiding something.

Given the standards, or indeed total lack of, the 'stats' they use to make their opinion seem like fact and the worryingly naive approach the 'journalists' have to solving the problem all I can take away is that the 'documentary' is as close to fantasy as is the sentiment that the 'industrial fishing' don't know or care about any destruction they cause.

As with many comments above, the truth is likely somewhere in the middle - but if someone wants to make change they need to make a well thought out, rational and considered point to convince most folk. I love a lot of Netflix, they cater for a huge and varied audience well (IMHO) but pedalling their documentaries as though they are fact really damages their brand for me (and indeed could actually detract from positive change simply because the argument for it is based on a lot of waffle which undermines the point).
    Last edited by M-J-J; 13-04-2021 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Remembering other stuff to add

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast