Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black bird nest

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Black bird nest

A pair of Blackbirds have made a nest in a gutter above our patio doors,

It is an excellent spot because they have picked the end section and all water drains away from it
    so whether it was accident or design they have proven their engineering worth by selecting an ideal
    location that is secure and has good drainage.

Better than house designers in the UK, anyway I digress.

She is sat on the nest and he is feeding her and he flies in every 5 to 10 mins to stock her up.
    She sits on her nest and as I said the nest is in a gutter over the back doors, she is within touch of me.

I have stood under her and just watched her but while I do that her mate stays away so we have avoided
    using the back doors for a while.

Anyway I know Black birds are antisocial with each other but they don't fear us too much as long as we
    know our place. I have known of them to feed from peoples hands while remaining completely aware
    of their surroundings and flying off at any small infraction of protocol.

So the question, does the female stay still because she thinks I can't see her or is she not scared of my presence
    and close proximity?

Just wondering

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We have had a blackbird family nesting in a horsecollar shaped planter on our garage wall. It is in the passage between the house and the garage, under a roof, about a foot in from the entrance. They have raised three chicks and neither parent were the least bit bothered by our coming and going right underneath them - the nest was only about six feet from our back door. The chicks have successfully fledged now and the nest is empty. I've got some pictures of the chicks actually being fed by the mother. I'll dig them out and post them.

When we brush the dog, who is moulting like crazy at the moment, we put her soft under-fur in a bird feeder and the birds take it to line their nests. Last year at the end of the season, we found three empty nests in our garden, all lined with her fur.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    We have had a blackbird family nesting in a horsecollar shaped planter on our garage wall. It is in the passage between the house and the garage, under a roof, about a foot in from the entrance. They have raised three chicks and neither parent were the least bit bothered by our coming and going right underneath them - the nest was only about six feet from our back door. The chicks have successfully fledged now and the nest is empty. I've got some pictures of the chicks actually being fed by the mother. I'll dig them out and post them.

When we brush the dog, who is moulting like crazy at the moment, we put her soft under-fur in a bird feeder and the birds take it to line their nests. Last year at the end of the season, we found three empty nests in our garden, all lined with her fur.
    Does that mean I've got to get a dog now?

taz

.. ... -. .----. - / -- --- .-. ... . / -.-. --- -.. . / --. --- --- -..

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by taz View Post
    Does that mean I've got to get a dog now?

taz

Yes

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Lucky you.

Sounds like they're fine. The male seems a bit shy compared to ours. Beggar gets under my feet when I'm up the garden doing model boat stuff. The outside sheltered work area I use is on bark chippings and I guess my shuffling around on it brings small beasties to light. Both the male & female are quite happy to come to the window feeder full of sunflower hearts while we're sitting at the table alongside it. Saw our first Bullfinch for a few years in our garden today. We've got Goldfinches here too for the first time.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We've had scores of goldfinches in our garden this year as well as a wider range of other birds than we've seen before. I wonder if lockdown has had some sort of effect?

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    We've had scores of goldfinches in our garden this year as well as a wider range of other birds than we've seen before. I wonder if lockdown has had some sort of effect?
    More people at home putting out more food? It's a thought. Last year seemed very good for butterflies, I wondered if it was due to the cleaner air.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    In a lot of ways, last year was good for wildlife. people stayed at home, taking great interest in "their" wildlife, they didn't fly off anywhere on holiday (the peeps, not the wildlife), and venues that were closed became safe havens for all sorts of critters.

The downside is that the wild spaces that remained accessible saw an incredible increase in footfall and some places are almost "worn out". The wildlife had to find other places to be safe. Cannock Chase is pretty big but has been overwhelmed by the numbers of people wanting to get outside, to the point where the rangers had to close many car parks for days on end to stop the area descending into chaos. People, dogs and wild deer don't go well together & although we've only been making necessary journeys (MIL and FIL extremely ill) across it we've had many more close encounters with the deer bolting across the roads. Our Wolseley Centre was crazy at times and all the pathways ended up much wider than when this all started. And don't get me started about litter. I said don't ....!
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    In a lot of ways, last year was good for wildlife. people stayed at home, taking great interest in "their" wildlife, they didn't fly off anywhere on holiday (the peeps, not the wildlife), and venues that were closed became safe havens for all sorts of critters.

The downside is that the wild spaces that remained accessible saw an incredible increase in footfall and some places are almost "worn out". The wildlife had to find other places to be safe. Cannock Chase is pretty big but has been overwhelmed by the numbers of people wanting to get outside, to the point where the rangers had to close many car parks for days on end to stop the area descending into chaos. People, dogs and wild deer don't go well together & although we've only been making necessary journeys (MIL and FIL extremely ill) across it we've had many more close encounters with the deer bolting across the roads. Our Wolseley Centre was crazy at times and all the pathways ended up much wider than when this all started. And don't get me started about litter. I said don't ....!
    But, don't you think those little orange bags of dog poo look so pretty hanging from the trees.
    I know who I would like to hang.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast