Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Allan. That's because Your 18 year old Apeks T50 still uses the same parts and service kit as all the other Apeks "designs" they have ever produced.

The only "design" Apex Marine have ever done is the choice of colour and the fancy swerls on the front cover.

Talk about milking. Apex Marine have milked the recreational scuba market with the same engineering design for the last what 18 years.
    I feel another Apex Marine post brewing with some of the latest balls up's in Blackburn LOL
    Iain would you say any of the apek ranges and models over the years are any better than one or the other? Or do you just pay for the new ranges, extra bit's of plastic here and there and colours and designs?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I still use these and the only thing they are missing compared to the newest second stages is the venturi-assist, nothing else. Maintenance wise - 3 o-rings and LP seat. Also, the latest Scubapro poppet fits inside.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogman View Post
    I still use these and the only thing they are missing compared to the newest second stages is the venturi-assist, nothing else. Maintenance wise - 3 o-rings and LP seat. Also, the latest Scubapro poppet fits inside.

Are they MK10s.

Graham

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    One of the few exceptions is APD. When I decided that my 18 year old Buddy Commando could probably do with a good looking at before we went on a five month round the world trip, I sent it back to APD and they did a complete overhaul for 78 and everything was replaced apart from the outer canvas. It came back with a note saying - good for another 20 years. That means I've only got another 9 years left!

My Apeks T50 is the same vintage and service kits are still available though in this country only to authorised agents.
    In fairness, you sent the Buddy Commando back to an authorised agent for repair rather than buying the bits and doing it yourself. So doing the same for the reg seems fair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The adjustable 109 second stage, on the left side, was on the market back in 1969 and probably was paired with MK2. The other one is R109 and was on the market from 1985 until 1997 and as you guessed it was paired with the MK10 first stage. The set (first and second stage) was called MK X Dual Balanced at that time.
    Last edited by frogman; 14-03-2021 at 12:02 AM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by frogman View Post

Loving the retro look.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The air from them is moist, which is quite noticeable, especially on longer dives.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    In fairness, you sent the Buddy Commando back to an authorised agent for repair rather than buying the bits and doing it yourself. So doing the same for the reg seems fair.
    True, but you can get the parts directly from AP if you need them.

Maunufacturers can discourage repair by simply making the parts so expensive which is the case for many household appliances.

Established TDF Member witchieblackcat's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    True, but you can get the parts directly from AP if you need them.
    I knew you'd say that. And they're mighty fine people.

Maunufacturers can discourage repair by simply making the parts so expensive which is the case for many household appliances.
    In fairness to the manufacturers, there are people maintaining their own kit that really shouldn't be just because they think that they're engineers or capable. I know a couple of guys that service their own inspirations and consequently miss lots of dives - famously one chap got two dives out of 5 on a trip to malta because his self-maintained unit kept breaking.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by witchieblackcat View Post
    I knew you'd say that. And they're mighty fine people.

In fairness to the manufacturers, there are people maintaining their own kit that really shouldn't be just because they think that they're engineers or capable. I know a couple of guys that service their own inspirations and consequently miss lots of dives - famously one chap got two dives out of 5 on a trip to malta because his self-maintained unit kept breaking.
    That’s the same thing that kept garages going was people ‘maintaining’ their own cars.

Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast