Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    [QUOTE=simonhi99;468664]Ok, this subject has been almost done to death multiple times on this forum and others. The big question is...

How do we (Joe public) get the industry to change it's policy and allow sales of parts to everyone who wants them?[/QUOTE

Does the UK law say suppliers have to provide spares? it has been demonstrated that health and safety is not a valid excuse. If suppliers are meant to then writing to MPs may be a start.

Graham.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The whingers on here wanting parts are an irrelevance to the big boys of the scuba industry and any elfnsafety excuse is utter rubbish. I suspect they don't want to sell spares to the public because a service monopoly means an income stream for the dealer network.

They don't all play the game, AP are a great example of a manufacturer that somehow manages to sell spares and go to the effort of producing how to service guides for their products without hiding behind the elfnsafety bollocks so why can't the others?

The answer has to be that AP are normally selling equipment to the end user not to a dealer who puts on his markup and wants to repeatedly make some money from one sale. Why others don't follow the same model as AP is beyond me as it seems a win win for the manufacturer and end user alike.

Though so long as the money rolls in with the current model nothing will change. Surely the answer is for divers to only buy kit that is fully supported with spares rather than stuff that isn't? At which point I suspect that spares would become available pretty damn quick if manufacturers couldn't give their stuff away if they don't supply spares to the customer.

will that ever happen? probably not, most divers just want to look at pretty fish and expect a professional to service their kit. we have become a nation of passive consumers rather than hands on doers.

as a footnote I've just been chatting to some very helpful people who manufacture high pressure oxygen boosters and who clearly stand behind their products and provided GA's and part numbers and spares for their booster without a hint of any 'we can't sell you spares because you haven't done my course that you can only do as a dealer' bullshit.

I guess that's the difference between real engineering companies and the cartel companies offering lifestyle products whilst masquerading as the 'diving industry'.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    most divers just want to look at pretty fish and expect a professional to service their kit. we have become a nation of passive consumers rather than hands on doers.
    A professional?... good luck with that!
    Simon

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonhi99 View Post
    defined as someone who gets paid.... we all know that competent and qualified are not necessarily the same thing

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by simonhi99 View Post

Most divers believe the man in the shop is a professional, I mean they do have certificates.

Graham.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    Most divers believe the man in the shop is a professional, I mean they do have certificates.

Graham.
    The professional in one of my LDSs tried to stamp a cylinder with test markings on top of the paint. Then the paint chipped off leaving no legible test stamp marks. I'm not sure I'd trust them to cook a baked potato.
    Proud to be a boring health and softy crap following sissie!

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    defined as someone who gets paid.... we all know that competent and qualified are not necessarily the same thing
    I guess that all depends upon which definition of "professional" is being used

Quote Originally Posted by bottle maker View Post
    A common misbelief then

Quote Originally Posted by Nickpicks View Post
    The professional in one of my LDSs tried to stamp a cylinder with test markings on top of the paint. Then the paint chipped off leaving no legible test stamp marks. I'm not sure I'd trust them to cook a baked potato.
    No comment.
    Simon

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    At the end of the day, Apeks, along with any other retailer or manufacturer dont have any obligation to sell parts or any other goods to a consumer.
    I would like to be able to buy them exactly as Ian has said but that isn't their business model and a few people griping about it on what is now a fairly obscure and little used forum is unlikely to change that stance.
    For the vast majority of divers, it is about Padi training, retail sales and a cup of tea while getting a fill. These days a lot of divers will learn, tick the scuba diving box then give up and move on to the next activity before they ever need for servicing their kit. There aren't many of us who want to service our own kit any more.
    Ian, I've never met you and have no idea where your personal loathing of Apeks and everyone connected to them comes from but it is getting really tiresome and makes you just look petty and vindictive, regardless of what influence you've had in the wider industry in the past.
    Tea Boy

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Timw View Post
    At the end of the day, Apeks, along with any other retailer or manufacturer dont have any obligation to sell parts or any other goods to a consumer.
    But this thread started with a link and that link suggests that manufacturers will indeed have an obligation to sell parts.

All Google: Does the UK have right to repair?

Ministers have confirmed that from the summer consumers will have a right to repair on goods they buy. ... Manufacturers will be legally obliged to make spare parts for products available to consumers for the first time a new legal right for repairs.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Out of interest, is a spare part classed the same as a service part?

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 614151617 LastLast