Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Right to repair, does this mean reg service kits will become more easily available?

Saythis on the news (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56340077) and was wondering what this means for the diving industry, does this mean that reg service kits will become easier to access without having to biy from Germany.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Do your regulators use washing machine parts? I guess you use apeks

Established TDF Member nigel hewitt's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Germany has this already which is why we've been buying Apeks parts from Germany for years.
    Helium, because I'm worth it.
    Waterboarding at Guantanamo Bay sounded like a radical holiday opportunity until I looked it up.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Presently it only applies to some 'white goods' and TV's. But I've seen in some of the reports (wish I could find them/one) that the parts will only be available to 'Professional' people so it could actually make getting such items repaired actually harder - just like Diving Kit spares are in this country.

Most - I'll admit not all spares - are presently available if you know who to ask or where to go; e.g. espares. Local TV dealer can mend just about any TV or radio made in time they have been trading, started trading in the 1930's. Only item they have difficulty getting is some flat screens but when they have to be changed out of warranty they do say replace the whole unit on cost grounds.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    When the big players such as Apeks Marine and Aqualung sell regulators they give special extra discounts off the normal trade price to a few selected dive shops with big online sales (I could name). This enables them to make a massive profit and still sell cheap on line than your Mom and Pop Rinky Dink dive shops that buy at standard trade price and make only the published supplier controlled margin of profit.

Now the rinky dinks have to make do with a smaller profit mark up, but they cant buy in bulk or get 50 grand of regulators up front on account like say Simply Scuba. Nor can they get a lorry load for free for the dive show to pay on return as they used to, say like Mikes Waterfront. Therefore to sweeten the pill so to speak for the small one man shops a created opportunity was concocted for these dive shop owners and staff to go on a day
    ish service course be able to charge an exponentially high price to service the product at low cost against high retail valve of the parts and labour.

The big box seller didnt mind small dive shops doing the service and Apeks Aqualung etc got to shift more stuff than they would otherwise.

Now not selling spares kits to the public is all about creating profit for the small dive shops that don’t get the big resale trade discounts and to enable them to make money at your expense. Also not to make the big box sellers not to upset and make them feel easier making less money on the sale with the promise of more to come in the future.

A bit like being a PADI instructor.

Your second problem is knowing what the fair retail price for the said spares kit are and not have your LDS “hose” you by jacking the price of a couple of cheap O-rings, a gasket and a plastic seat.

Also the European sales for these product from the likes of Germany make huge mark ups on the bags of spares as they know they will never get the regulator in for service and make it on the labour charge
    Then factor in also the “Its grade one Life Support Equipment” in contrast to the sales and marketing of the likes of Apeks with "It's recreational sports equipment for women”

In a word your a cash cow being led up the garden path for a milking.

And no your not going to be able to buy spares in a shop or online for your Apeks and Aqualung regulators for three reasons.
    1. Your not qualified.
    2. Your not an authorised dealer of Apeks Marine or Aqualung products
    3. Your not a service tech for a retail dive shop or authorized sealer of Apex Marine Products

Therefore go to point 1 to continue.
    Last edited by iain/hsm; 12-03-2021 at 07:00 PM.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    The ironic thing is most people would still just buy the newer shinier version when their electronics or white goods pack up.
    Once somethings out of warranty most would prefer to replace than spend on repairs - ok, its a very broad generalisation but our whole retail philosophy is based on it. Apeks business model is no different to any other consumer supplier.
    I've even heard of quite a few people who think it means they will have a 10 year warranty on everything.
    Tea Boy

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    One of the few exceptions is APD. When I decided that my 18 year old Buddy Commando could probably do with a good looking at before we went on a five month round the world trip, I sent it back to APD and they did a complete overhaul for 78 and everything was replaced apart from the outer canvas. It came back with a note saying - good for another 20 years. That means I've only got another 9 years left!

My Apeks T50 is the same vintage and service kits are still available though in this country only to authorised agents.
    Last edited by Allan Carr; 12-03-2021 at 07:40 PM.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Allan Carr View Post
    O
    My Apeks T50 is the same vintage and service kits are still available though in this country only to authorised agents.
    Allan. That's because Your 18 year old Apeks T50 still uses the same parts and service kit as all the other Apeks "designs" they have ever produced.

The only "design" Apex Marine have ever done is the choice of colour and the fancy swerls on the front cover.

Talk about milking. Apex Marine have milked the recreational scuba market with the same engineering design for the last what 18 years.
    I feel another Apex Marine post brewing with some of the latest balls up's in Blackburn LOL

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post

Talk about milking. Apex Marine have milked the recreational scuba market with the same engineering design for the last what 18 years.
    Longer than that - my T50 is over 25 years old - bought in September 1995.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by iain/hsm View Post
    Allan. That's because Your 18 year old Apeks T50 still uses the same parts and service kit as all the other Apeks "designs" they have ever produced.

The only "design" Apex Marine have ever done is the choice of colour and the fancy swerls on the front cover.

I feel another Apex Marine post brewing with some of the latest balls up's in Blackburn LOL
    Ready and waiting for your next installment once its had time to brew .
    Last edited by gobfish1; 13-03-2021 at 04:10 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast