Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by greatwhite View Post
    Hi,

If you decided to become a recreational diving instructor which agency you would opt to do it through? Perhaps present PADI instructors or BSAC instructors for example would choose an other agency if they were to choose their agency again to become pros? What are the benefits and disadvantages of your agency over others? Would it depend where you teach? Would you choose one agency in the UK but another in Asia the Americas or Egypt for example?

Thanks
    As a Padi and SSI instructor, if I were starting again, I'd go to SSI. My lockdown experience has only re-enforced that. The sylabus isn't that different to Padi's so you could always swap over should you need to but SSI are growing very rapidly, so they're pretty wide-spread now anyway. If you want more details, I can PM but it's too much waffle for a thread.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Hi,

If you decided to become a recreational diving instructor which agency you would opt to do it through? Perhaps present PADI instructors or BSAC instructors for example would choose an other agency if they were to choose their agency again to become pros? What are the benefits and disadvantages of your agency over others? Would it depend where you teach? Would you choose one agency in the UK but another in Asia the Americas or Egypt for example?

Thanks
    I'm a BSAC advanced instructor. If I was wanting to make a living from diving and it be my primary source of income I would look at an alternative agency. However, I have no interest in making that move. I'm a mental health nurse by trade and have no intentions of changing that. Personally I've found the BSAC system really rewarding, I've had some excellent instructors and there is something really nice about the 'club atmosphere'. There's no pressure on me to teach a certain number of courses etc. Way back when, I was a ski instructor. Looking back turning a hobby into my primary employment was the worse decision I made. My hobby became mundane and interestingly since I stopped instructing I've not skied or boarded since and haven't found I missed it.

If I was wanting to make a living I would look at what agencies were prevalent in the area I wanted to teach and join an existing centre under that agency (assuming I didn't have the funds/skills to run my own).

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    As a Padi and SSI instructor, if I were starting again, I'd go to SSI. My lockdown experience has only re-enforced that. The sylabus isn't that different to Padi's so you could always swap over should you need to but SSI are growing very rapidly, so they're pretty wide-spread now anyway. If you want more details, I can PM but it's too much waffle for a thread.
    Do people knock SSI like some people seem to knock PADI if the syllabus is similar?

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    There are BSAC dive centres overseas that you can work in as a BSAC instructor. I did it for a couple of years when I was in my early 20's. I rapidly realised that unless you had the seed money and local contacts to enable you to setup your own dive centre for whatever agency you were never going to buy a house or retire. It's fun but the centres know there's an endless queue of dreamers and rich kids willing to work for next to nothing to do some diving for their gap year experience, so wages are basically beer money.

The money is, or was, for the dive centres in tourist try dives not instructors teaching proper courses

As an instructor you can do three or 4 try dives / day with say 3 or 4 punters a time if your centre is a busy one.

Average it out at say 30 / a head x 12 try divers / day / instructor so 360/day for try dives vs spend 5 days with two punters doing a course and charge them 300 each. Try dive's brings in 1800 / instructor if you have the volume, course brings in 600 / instructor in the same period. I reckon I did over 100 try dives for every course I taught. Wages wise out of that 360/day for try dives I was lucky to see 30 / day plus accommodation.

As a centre why do courses? If the customer is really shit and your instructors haven't been able to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse the pressure is on to give them the certificate or the customer may not pay. Dilemma time.

This never happens of course agencies and centres have standards to maintain. yeah right. I failed someone after 5 days of a course and advised him to take up croquet as diving clearly wasn't his bag. Customer has a whine to the owner and goes out the next day with another local instructor for an assessment who then signs him off for the qualification and signs him up for the next course. Customer is delighted, boss is delighted, local instructor grins knowing how much better he is than the rookie kid! Take that whippersnapper! Trouble was the customer would never be a diver as long as he had a hole in his arse. I just prayed he gave up before he killed himself or someone else.

I had a great time but after a couple of years I learned the lesson, woke up, had a think and went back to college.
    I guess to do all those try dives you need to be friendly with a large/busy hotel in the right areas?

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Do people knock SSI like some people seem to knock PADI if the syllabus is similar?
    Wherever you go in the world you will find people who get emotional and upset about things that are really not that important. The basic teaching how to use scuba equipment is one such thing. There is an irrational attachment (by some) to the training program and system under which they learned. In truth the basics are the basics and everyone needs to be able to do them and every agency teaches them. The quirks (like snorkels) become the point of argument with strongly held opinions that are rooted in dogma rather than pragmatism.

SSI gets "knocked" about the role of the DO in my experience. But it is not a big agency so the internet wars are a bit less fierce.
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Not in my experience but people will be people, so who knows. I think that's the same with all agencies... after all, we all "know" GUE are elitist bores, UTD are fanatical, BSAC wear socks and sandels together, and Padi pass you on the basis of your high-five skills and payment method. Apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisch View Post
    SSI gets "knocked" about the role of the DO in my experience. But it is not a big agency so the internet wars are a bit less fierce.
    I'd be surprised if that was the case. SSI don't have a DO role but then this is the internet, so getting knocked for something you don't have or don't actually do is not unusual.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by jturner View Post
    I'd be surprised if that was the case. SSI don't have a DO role but then this is the internet, so getting knocked for something you don't have or don't actually do is not unusual.
    My bad - SAA was what I had in mind. Bloody TLAs
    We give 350m a week to the EU. Let's give it to Dido Harding instead.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12