Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Majorca - Scuba Mallorca

On the 3rd attempt we finally managed to get our club trip to Majorca off the ground. Special thank have to go the Emma at Holsworthy Travel for finally getting us in the air. She had to contend with;

Our first trip option to Malta being pulled when the flights were pulled after we’d all paid. Our re organised trip to Majorca (for 13) being cancelled with 6 hours notice due to the ash cloud and then a re plan for 5 followed by refunds to the others 8 – she’s worth a call when looking at options J

We flew with Easy Jet, fairly easy book in as we had paid for extra diving allowance, however they were all allocated to one person rather than over the group, worth remembering this as it caused a bit of a hic cup coming home. We were on an early flight from Bristol with a 4am check in time. We thought it would be a good idea to arrive early, check in, chill out and snooze in the departure lounge – wrong. Bristol airport shuts at midnight and doesn’t re open until 4am. Subway was open and very busy as we weren’t’ the only ones with the same thought!

We arrived after a short flight, transferred on the public shuttle, which I’ll not use again as we had to wait an hour for it to go. Great transfer once going but it just felt so wrong sitting there waiting – picked us up on the return on time though.

We stayed at the AZ Panorama hotel, AZ Panorama Beach Hotel, Puerto Pollensa, Mallorca (Majorca) they have apartments as well which is where we stayed, they were clean, well maintained, pool was good and the breakfast filling. I’d happily return there with the wife. It was a 10 minute walk into the main areas of Puerto Pollensa along a very pleasant sea front, flat with plenty to see, build in seats and a bar every other step.

We ate around the town and used a variety of restaurants, the set menus were the best value and as per normal the local restaurants off the main drag were superb.

We dived with Scuba Mallorca DIVING-SCUBA MALLORCA/MAJORCA-Port Pollensa/Alcudia, Spain which is ran by Mick and Jessie. They’ve travelled fair between them and know how to look after their guests. The instructor for the week was Sid, an ex pat with a great sense of humour. The boat – Miss Connie, was twin engine, which was good as one had a habit of over heating. She was built in 92, renovated in 07 and has plenty of space for 10 divers at 13.5m long, 3m wide she powered along well when fully working – the normal O2, first aid kits etc is carried. The skipper is very useful and skilful and carries plenty of drinking water and French stick /ham/ cheese for a snack between dives.

The diving was simple and easy, well managed well briefed and the staff speak a range of languages which helped others on board. All above 20m with a mixture of reefs, walls and caves. The sites were based around Forementor Island and on the opposite headland and are detailed here - Dive Sites North Mallorca/Majorca Spain.

There was plenty of fish life and rock cover, a range of fishes, nudibranches and Octopus were in evidence. The only thing missing was a different rock type or a wreck which would have brought a different range of flauna and fauna to look at.

Would we go again? I suspect so? Would we stay at the same place? Certainty. Would we dive with Scuba Mallorca again? Yes.

A few pics of the sites

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    thanks for the trip report, sounds like somewhere we can go to with our boy and sneak in a few dives too as long as there's a decent kids club/childcare about

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by holly View Post
    thanks for the trip report, sounds like somewhere we can go to with our boy and sneak in a few dives too as long as there's a decent kids club/childcare about
    That you can, but not at the hotel we used. If you look for a First Choice or Thompson Hotel these have good kids clubs and creches. We used a Promare hotel tied to Thompson at Cala Bona (a bit further South) and had a cracking time, as did the kids.
    Andy
    www.budediveclub.co.uk
    www.gafirs.org.uk
    If it moves - canoe it, if it doesn't dive it!

I used to be Cheeky UnCheeky Monkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Scuba Mallorca has changed hands. It is now run by Tom (a young Yorkshireman, who worked for Mick and Jessie previously). Lovely folk, Tom, Rob, Cristina, Alex, Michelle, Sergey on the boat, and others whose names escape me sorry!

We had a PADI OW course (not me), and some easy boat diving, good kit, friendly 'no problem' attitude, great viz, warm (enough) water - I would (and intend to) go again.

http://scubamallorca.com/the-dives/