Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Good quality Undersuit V Layering?

Hi,

I just wonder if people prefer to wear a good quality undersuit or lots of decent quality layers for cold water diving? I am going to go back to wearing an Undersuit as layering just doesn't seem to do it for me especially around the base of the back and from memory I was warmer in a Undersuit (although it has been many years since I wore one). Perhaps, I would had been better off wearing a one piece Undersuit instead of separate top and bottoms undergarments when using layers?

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have 3 different undersuits for different temperatures... Othree pbb for when its warmer (14 - 16 degrees ish), the othree pbb extreme (11-14 degrees ish) and more recently a Weezle extreme plus for anything colder. I then have a heated vest that I can turn on during the deco stop for extra warmth if required. You may of guessed I don't enjoy being cold on a dive...

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Same but without the weezle. I layer under the O3 extremes with base , xerotherm and running leggings. 5x7 mm hood and dry gloves.

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a heated vest when its cold. It saves having thick undersuits which work by trapping air. I found the excess air made buoyancy control more difficult when changing depths. I took my heated vest to Marlin head thinking I was ahead of the game, only to find everyone had one.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I’m a fan of a decent undersuit. Santi BZ400. Sizing is important for flexibility.

The loft/fluffiness is a bit ridiculous when they are brand new. I find them too warm for >12deg when they are new and you also need to add some weight. After a dozen dives or so they settle down.

A baselayer (like cheap helly Hansen) helps with the suit sliding over your skin and improves flexibility. It also means you need to wash the under suit less often.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    From what iv read over the past few year
    Divers are keen on slick fitting dry suite s and min lead on . Both of the above work against you when wanting to be warm on a dive .

Get a suit that has room to add exter insulation.
    Add a bit more lead in the cold weather so you can get a bit more air in the suit .

I was always happy in a mid 200 g suit with one or two base layer s socks to my knees and a gulit of some kind semed to cover most of my diving .

Don't be looking at doing 3h run time when you know you should be out in two and the weather is against you . Some common sense. Don't get cold kiting up .

All insulation needs air space to be effective. Ie some feeking slack in the tux.
    Last edited by gobfish1; 06-03-2021 at 10:08 AM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I have a rack full of undersuits I’ve acquired over the years. Choice of undersuit very much depends on type of suit / water temp / length of dive.

Are you going to be doing 1 hr dives in the channel in a 5mm neoprene suit in summer or a three hour dive in the northern North Sea in winter?

The current ones kicking around in my shed are

FE halo3d I use this year round with a membrane suit in the north of Scotland for long dives. However I used it in the channel and was far too hot and drenched in sweat.

Santi bz400/200 I use this under a crushed neoprene suit year round. I’m not a fan. It always feels damp and takes an age to dry.

Weezle compact I used to use this under an Ri2/100 year round

FE arctics. Used them once and froze my arse off but under a thicker suit or warmer water im sure they are fine. Just don’t wear them in the arctic.

However the real key to staying warm is the base layer. Get some good fairly heavy merino therms and you will feel a world of difference under any undersuit.

PS I forgot the whites fusion undersuit. I wear it in summer under the membrane if the water is above 12 degrees. It's too cold in the winter even with a merino base layer.

If you read the preceding posts you get an idea of the problem of asking on here for advice. I'm feeling lucky if I see 12 degrees by late summer and some are talking of undersuits for 14-16 degrees. A few degrees difference in water temp makes a huge difference in comfort levels with the same undersuit.
    Last edited by MikeF; 07-03-2021 at 08:01 PM.

Established WTF Member Spirit of Guernsey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I use a Whites (Apeks) Thermal Fusion all year round under an Otter Britannic. Mid summer no base layer, shoulder months a merino base layer, winter an Engelbert Strauss base layer shirt and leggings. LINKEY
    There are four varieties in society: the lovers, the ambitious, observers and fools. The fools are the happiest.
    Hippolyte Taine French critic and historian (1828-93)

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I've got a set of 60% angora thermal underwear, from Lidl .

Only down side is your ears get itchy and you eat a lot of carrots.

Also you fancy a bit of ..........

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
    I’m a fan of a decent undersuit. Santi BZ400. Sizing is important for flexibility.

The loft/fluffiness is a bit ridiculous when they are brand new. I find them too warm for >12deg when they are new and you also need to add some weight. After a dozen dives or so they settle down.

A baselayer (like cheap helly Hansen) helps with the suit sliding over your skin and improves flexibility. It also means you need to wash the under suit less often.
    I like the sound of the Santi 400, but I don't know where to go to try on and get the right size. Wait for a dive show may be whenever that may be one? Have you tried the Santi 200?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast