Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pee valve sheaths

Hi
    I've started on the slippery slope of extended diving and have a balanced pee valve from lite monkey fitted to my drysuit.
    I need some advice on sheath sizing, routing, 'technique and cleaning and anything else that might be handy!
    Thanks

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Go to the coloplast website. They have a form to fill in for a sample request. The first thing they will send you is a "sizing tool" (to size your tool!).
    Then they will phone you to discuss your needs (they're more used to people wanting help with incontinence, but they understand that a lot of divers use their products).
    They'll send you a sample pack (usually 5 "short" and 5 "long") to test, and they'll call again a few weeks later to see how you got on with them.

Once you've used the samples, you can buy them direct from Coloplast. I think they work out about 50 for a pack of 30.

The long/short isn't to allow you to boast - it just depends on what you find more comfortable and where the glue line is.

Also, a little spray can of "appeel" or similar medical adhesive remover lasts ages and is much easier
    (I know, real men just rip them off like a plaster, but that can leave a ring shaped bruise)
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I found the Coloplast ones to be crap and they came off. I use the Widebands and they seem pretty secure. Got a big box from Aquanauts they seemed reasonably priced.
    https://seaskin.co.uk/acatalog/Pee_Valve_Catheters.html

Tips?
    I route the hose up and over then down the leg. Seems to work best and the hose doesn't tug off the catheter under its own weight.
    A turn of self-amalgamating rubber tape over the cath to really hold it onto the hose nozzle helps keep it in place. I use a QD thing (link on the Seaskin page) so you can cath up first then connect quickly when getting your suit on later. You can get ones with valves in so when disconnecting you don't get wee everywhere. Make sure you buy a second downstream nozzle so you can connect it up when out of your suit to go for a pee. RS flog them.
    Make sure yer feller is hair free.
    Don't wait till you really need to go, to go.
    Take a spare undersuit. It's not if but when you will have a failure.
    Last edited by Woz; 01-03-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    I have nothing to do with BSAC any more apart from being a muggle member. So anything I write on here is likely to be complete bollocks. Hooray!

Happy atheist, despite the "evidence"...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    As per Woz, Rochester Widebands are the way to go.

Fit the catheter in the morning, but wash and thoroughly dry your bits before applying the condom; it may not stick properly to a sweaty knob.

The teat on the end is often too long for the connector, so I cut about 5-10mm off. This stops it kinking. You don't want it to kink.

Before connecting up on the boat give it a good blow through to make sure it opens properly.
    Happy to be a feminist SJ(K)W snowflake in a godless universe, no matter what some experts think. And Braun was a twat who's not missed. At all.

Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Never had an issue with Coloplast sheaths. Other than that, read the comments above.

TPG
    My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Years ago in an other place Mark Chase wrote a guide to buying catheters. Maybe he will see this thread and re post it.

Graham

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Another wideband user! Routing is key and avoiding a kink is essential. I also cut about 5-10mm off the end and wipe the inside of the tapered part with water seems to help. I'm more of a down-and-out user and replaced the armoured Light Monkey rubber hose with thinner clear plastic stuff from eBay. It runs down, below the valve and up in a big loop and seems to work well. It's usually the sheaths that get a kink. I'd also suggest Woz is right with the spare undersuit though I've found the fittings stick too well. In Egypt, mine got kinked on a deco dive and the aftermath was... horrendous. I could only climb the boat ladder with one leg (the other was straight rigid like Capt Ahab's whalebone leg and bending it was agony), with a tangerine sized "inflation" at the top (part me, part sheath) that ended up looking like a wizard's sleeve. Just, no. Never again. The leak-tight arrangement and dry thermals wasn't a consolation.
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Tio tip from me: when you put it on roll it up a bit more its almost just a ring then stick your todger right into the end before rolling it back down. It stops the end kinking and blocking

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I did discover an alternative to sheaths a few months ago. I found it while I was looking online for adhesive removal products, so I asked for a sample to test.
    The CliniMed BioDerm is designed for incontinence, but rather than sticking over the old man, it just glues onto the end. It's basically a tube with adhesive petals at the end, which stick to the glans.
    It's designed for permanent 24/7 use, changing it every 3 days, and the manufacturer said it might not suit for diver use as it can take a few days to settle.
    It was a bit more faff to stick on than the conveens, but felt secure. It was also a bit more faff to get off, although they did supply a can of removal spray, which made it easy enough.
    I decided that the extra faff of putting on and off, and the fact that I wouldn't really want to keep it permanently attached, even on a long dive weekend, made it a less desirable choice than the conveens.
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    You Could take a eye with the thing . Be careful
    Last edited by gobfish1; 02-03-2021 at 03:04 PM.
    None diver as of 2018.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast