Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Knives

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_Benson View Post
    I assume that it is a court order that forbids it - but would it be too much to ask why this rule was brought in?
    (wrong post)
    (oops, maybe not. Blame it on the second glass of red wine)

Anyway, Ceramics break easily & can end up leaving forensic evidence in the victim.

back to the wine.
    Last edited by Noggin the Nog; 22-01-2021 at 08:32 PM.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeF View Post
    but don't forget Sabatier is a type not a make. There are Sabatier knives and there are Sabatier knives.
    Yes indeed !

I've even seen "sabatier" knives made in PRC (people's republic of China) which is absurd

Pukka Sabatiers are made in Thiers in France, by one of 5 or 6 makers, but even then, my two 35 year old "Lion brand" Carbon steel Sabatiers are fantastic, but I struggle to get nearly as good an edge on my more recent "le Sabatier" brand one. Recently bought a Wusthof , and despite it being stainless I'm quite imressed. I don't like the modern "Ikon" handle but would certainly go for their more Sabatier like traditional range. Being a German maker, the blade is a bit more curved and a bit more chunky than French style Sabatier but a pretty good bet. I use a "steel" for regular sharpening suplemented with a daimond hone when needed, and every few years, re-shaped / ground with a belt sander when needed.

Another hint, is rather than looking for a set, just buy single general purpose chef's knife, probably 8" - which you can use for everything. If you then need need a bigger or smaller one, get it, but you'll have proven the brand, and handle shape for your purposes, and by only buying one, you can buy a very nice knife indeed without worrying about cost too much

Established TDF Member steelemonkey's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Noggin the Nog View Post
    (wrong post)
    (oops, maybe not. Blame it on the second glass of red wine)

Anyway, Ceramics break easily & can end up leaving forensic evidence in the victim.

back to the wine.
    They have to find the body first....................
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Hail the Children of LLyr
    As far from the sea as we could be, except when we can actually get in it.
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by steelemonkey View Post
    They have to find the body first....................
    Something to consider in the 'risk assessment' though.
    "...are we human, or are we diver?"

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    There is an historic site in Suffolk, an old Cistercian Abbey. Considering one of the nearby, local residents, I often wonder if the archaeologists check the ages of the bodies they dig up there......
    Just saying.
    Paul.
    If God had meant us to breathe underwater, he would have given us larger bank balances.
    Human beings were invented by water as a means of moving itself from one place to another.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I often wonder if the archaeologists check the ages of the bodies they dig up there
    I could bury whatever I wanted there, it hasn't been looked at since the 1920s. Why bother with that trip when there's the little used church next door with a steady supply of new graves though? There's not even any cctv and the lights are only triggered if you go up to the main door.
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Divemouse View Post
    I could bury whatever I wanted there, it hasn't been looked at since the 1920s. Why bother with that trip when there's the little used church next door with a steady supply of new graves though? There's not even any cctv and the lights are only triggered if you go up to the main door.
    There speaks a voice of experience.
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    So I can visit the "wildlife area" near you and not have to worry about coming across shallow graves?
    Paul.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What wildlife area?
    Definitely don't doubt Dawn - not if you value your life

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    What wildlife area?
    I was joking. Sibton Park calls itself a wilderness reserve.
    Paul.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast