Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kitchen Knives

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Kitchen Knives

After getting hold of some new kitchen knives- any recommendations for a decent set?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    http://kitchendevils.net/
    We have been using some Kitchen devil knives since we were students back in the 1980's. A quick sharpen every few months.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Bought a set of these - https://www.procook.co.uk/shop/knive...ofessional-x50

Great knives that keep their edges pretty well.

Some things to think about with good knives:
    1) what are you cutting on? Hard boards such as glass will dull knives in no time
    2) Dishwashing is a definite no - the abrasive nature of dishwashing will take the edge off a knife
    3) Sharpening - think about how you will sharpen it. Do you want a whetstone, diamond or ceramic sharpener? Whetstone is very satisfying but easy to get wrong whereas some of the more automatic sharpeners (where you simply draw the knife through) will sharpen it but not to the same razor edge as a well used whetstone/diamond.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I bought a set of these

https://www.robertwelch.com/products...d-steak-knives

Hold an edge very well even going through the dishwasher every time they are used. Integrated sharpener works a treat and produces an edge that allows me to slice tomato 1-2mm thick without any effort. Not cheap but will last a life time.

Established TDF Member Steve Clark's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    We bought one of these last year :

https://www.lakeland.co.uk/71074/Any...nife-Sharpener

It's stuck to one of our glass kitchen cabinet doors with the sucker on the back. Very simple, not japanese razor sharp but pretty good and easy to get into the habit of using it.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Diamond grit blade sharpener, 1.99 from Lidl (middle).

Procrastinating
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Click the pictures for links - apologies I couldn't figure out how to re-size them

I've got one of these:

One of these:

And one of these:

I pass each of them through one of these around 8-10 times before I use them which does a great job of keeping them properly sharp:

I've had them all for about 10 years and they're sharper now than they were when I first got them, I can cut ripe tomatoes paper thin with them. You don't need to spend a fortune to get good kitchen knives.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Quote Originally Posted by Neilwood View Post

Great knives that keep their edges pretty well.

Some things to think about with good knives:
    1) what are you cutting on? Hard boards such as glass will dull knives in no time
    2) Dishwashing is a definite no - the abrasive nature of dishwashing will take the edge off a knife
    3) Sharpening - think about how you will sharpen it. Do you want a whetstone, diamond or ceramic sharpener? Whetstone is very satisfying but easy to get wrong whereas some of the more automatic sharpeners (where you simply draw the knife through) will sharpen it but not to the same razor edge as a well used whetstone/diamond.
    I would agree with all of that.

And add . . . . . . Don't cut on plates, granite worktops or anything other than either a wood or a Low/high Density Chopping Board, see https://www.cooksmill.co.uk/kitchen/...h-density.html other supplier's are out there.

As for what knives to buy and how much to spend I would say that depends on how much you enjoy cooking, a good blade makes food prep a joy instead of a chore so I would say buy the best chef quality knives you can justifiably afford and be sure to buy a good steel as well, as for sharpening a good quality knife when looked after should not need much more than a quick wiz on a steel before use to ensure a razor sharp edge and when a proper sharpen is required get them done by a professional who will come to your door, they won't be interested in sharpening a cheap set of knives.

One other thing, if you do spend good money on a decent set keep them for your own use only.

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I loved my set (now my ex-wife's set) of Global knives. I recently bought a set of Ikea 365+ knives, which have a very similar look/feel to globals (at about 1/3 the price!). The main thing is to keep them sharp. I use a water roller sharpener which makes a nice job of them: https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/skaeran...lack-50289169/
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Sabatier,great knives used them for years.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast