Hello and welcome to our community! Is this your first visit?
Register
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One Piece Harness Question

So I'm a fan of the one piece harness in theory but since getting Kubi dry gloves I've found that I struggle a bit getting the dry glove rings out from under it when taking off the wing at the end of a dive. I dive a standard SS back plate with stiff webbing one piece harness. I got it second hand and the original set up had an extension break put in that I really didn't find very useful and generally got in the way. Now, for travel I've also got a travel backplate with soft webbing that has a great feature, the webbing will happily slip through the d-ring it runs through at the bottom of the back plate(as it's a material plat so no webbing running through it). This is great because the shoulder straps are basically adjustable when the waist buckle is unclipped as the webbing runs free.

Is there a way to replicate this with a typical SS backplate? I've looked at some kind of D-ring set that might replicate the travel backplate set up. The closes thing I've seen is Agir Harpa that seems to come with their harness set and costs a bomb. Not sure if there's an alternative generic d-ring I could get my hands on.

Failing that would just replacing the stiff webbing with soft webbing work (obviously just requiring a new harness a bit more frequently)? If so any recommendations on where to pick up the appropriate stuff, possibly with a selection of colours (I can do black if that's the option. I have also ended up with a couple of metres of uselessly flimsy 2" webbing so I'm not buying anything without a recommendation )

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nowhereman View Post
    So I'm a fan of the one piece harness in theory but since getting Kubi dry gloves I've found that I struggle a bit getting the dry glove rings out from under it when taking off the wing at the end of a dive. I dive a standard SS back plate with stiff webbing one piece harness. I got it second hand and the original set up had an extension break put in that I really didn't find very useful and generally got in the way. Now, for travel I've also got a travel backplate with soft webbing that has a great feature, the webbing will happily slip through the d-ring it runs through at the bottom of the back plate(as it's a material plat so no webbing running through it). This is great because the shoulder straps are basically adjustable when the waist buckle is unclipped as the webbing runs free.

Is there a way to replicate this with a typical SS backplate? I've looked at some kind of D-ring set that might replicate the travel backplate set up. The closes thing I've seen is Agir Harpa that seems to come with their harness set and costs a bomb. Not sure if there's an alternative generic d-ring I could get my hands on.

Failing that would just replacing the stiff webbing with soft webbing work (obviously just requiring a new harness a bit more frequently)? If so any recommendations on where to pick up the appropriate stuff, possibly with a selection of colours (I can do black if that's the option. I have also ended up with a couple of metres of uselessly flimsy 2" webbing so I'm not buying anything without a recommendation )
    Sounds like your shoulder straps are a bit tight. I have a one piece harness and Kubi rings and have don't have any issues getting the harness on and off. However, if you really want such an adjustment, Kent Tooling used to make some slider rings - you only need one though, on the non-buckle side (https://www.divingproducts.co.uk/sho...1&search=winch).
    The views expressed are my own, worth what you've paid for them, are not on behalf of anyone else and not those of any company I work for etc.

Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Agir harpa works very well , used it OC and ccr. Kent tooling do something similar with a roller set up. Is your current harness set ok , could you go a bit looser ?

New TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Mares XR also do a clip similar to the Agir, it’s called the Sf2

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    If you can't get out of the harness its too tight - adjust the harness properly and I never felt the need for a quick adjust system. I really tried to get on with the cinch but ultimately went back to a properly adjusted harness

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Noted, it might just be the harness is a bit too tight but it's comfortable during the dive. The Kent tooling slider looks like it's potentially good but the Mares sf2 is exactly what I had in mind. I'd love to say I'll just loosen the harness a bit and see how it works but who knows when I'll get the chance to do it? Thanks for the feedback though all.

Established TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I would have to agree with the thoughts about the shoulder straps being too tight. Mine generally allows me to insert a fist between my chest & harness (at right angles to the harness so about 4 inches). That should be enough to get it off and get your hands through. The waist & crotch strap are the tight bits that hold it on to me.

Gobbie squaddie, average diver timmyg's Avatar
    Barnstaple or Birmingham depending on the day of the week...
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I'll echo some of the points as I dive a oph as well as using Kubi's. Your harness is probably too tight - there is no requirement for an adjustable harness.

Out of interest, how do you get/try to get out of it? I'm not sure of your setup, but, if using a Hogarthian setup, and you clip your primary onto your right chest d-ring, by using where it is tied to the hose to pull it off your right arm and around your elbow you should then be able to roll it off your shoulder. Someone else probably has a more eloquent way of putting it I'm sure.

TPG.
    My pages:
    l Website l Blog l YouTube l Vimeo l Facebook l Twitter l Instagram l

TDF Member
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    I can picture the movement and that is more or less how I try to get out of the rig, combined with deflating the wing to give me some more space to move. On consideration it is probably having the harness a bit too tight and I should just try it a little looser. I did early on with the bp/w set up have shoulder straps that were too loose and would have the weight of my tank(s) shifting on my back and might be overcompensating to keep the set up stable in the water. To note: I can get out of the harness without assistance but frequently find I have to pull the cuffs when they catch (which is bad for the suit and the cuffs).

I'll give loosening things a bit a go when I can get back in the water to test. Although the question on sourcing webbing (especially blue or pink ) would be appreciating an answer as well

Established TDF Member Nickpicks's Avatar
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)
    Webbing here:
    https://www.dirdirect.com/Halcyon-We...placement.html
    (non Halcyon brands also available from the same supplier). Available with different colours of "H"

Advice on setting it all up properly: Read TimmyG's excellent blog here:
    http://rectotec.blogspot.com/2014/02...3-harness.html
    (Tim might be too modest to post it himself, but I know a lot of people have found his "how to set up a twinset" series very useful)
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast